Goldline International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Crumbaker

1. "Solid Place of Employment"

Current Employee - Hard Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Hard Worker in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

High energy working environment where the ability to excel is presented to those who are willing to work for it. In an industry where market fluctuations, politics and media bias can impact the price of your commodity you've got to be willing to put in the consistent effort required to sustain. Goldline is a place where positivity is encouraged and, if you're someone who thinks about how they can add value to the company on a daily basis, you can thrive. Likewise, if you're here to punch the clock and bide your time, doing the bare minimum to keep your job - you should move on sooner rather than later. I'm motivated, I work hard and I make the best of my situation each time I make a decision - so I continue to enjoy my place here. I am treated with the respect that I have earned through years of continually challenging myself to be the best that I can be each and every day. -- Free food, lots of it. Fun environment (foosball table, etc...) - convenient working location near the 405 AND the 10. Good clear expectations set by senior management as to what's expected of each employee.

Cons

Some old stagnant culture of complainers who refuse to accept that they need to work harder and/or smarter to start to or continue to succeed. Listening to the griping that comes from your every day person in an office environment about how hard life is can be taxing. I supposed it's a part of any and every job but it's still the worst part of a workplace. If you sit at work and complain about your job all day long maybe you should find another place to spend your time. It's your life after all - why would you keep coming in to a place you don't like?

Advice to Management

Shut Down the Nay-Sayers

2. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Goldline International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really can't think of any

Cons

It is a sweatshop that treats employees with disrespect. On a per hour basis, this is a commission shop, a fair share of employees are minimum wage. Dishonest.

3. "Great experience"

Pros

A competitive industry so you will get good experience even if you don't want to stay in gold industry forever. it's one of the few gold sellers that tries to do things right and make customers happy.

Cons

the gold business has sharp ups and downs.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Lots of un-noticed benefits, free food, free parking, free coffee, free everything, the company does its best to just take care of all the little things... no one notices... but i do. Culture is really good, they really seem to care about doing things the right way, even when it makes things harder, which some people dont like, but i appreciate. You have to have ethics to work here.

Cons

You need to show up every day with the intent of working harder than youve ever worked. I don't know if this is a con, its probably true everywhere, but they want you at 100%, 100% of the time. Somedays it feels like you went 12 rounds with a heavyweight boxer, you're just exhausted... you feel good about the work you do, but youre very tired from doing it.

Advice to Management

don't read glass door so much, it seems to just be a place for former unethical employees to make low blows at good people trying to do the right thing.

"Sales People Smarter then you think."

Former Employee - Account Executive/Former in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Former in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Goldline International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great CEO, Wicked Smart. Sales MGT Mostly Capable. HR Awesome. Back office best ever. Great Products and Innovative Programs. Employee Lounge. Free Food. Great relationships between Back office and Sales People. We hang out.

Cons

Leads MANUALLY distributed. Rated, THEN distributed. MGT Favorites WITHOUT question. NO LOYALTY to tenured Sales People. NONE. Grueling, mind Numbing 70-80 hour work weeks. Smoke & Mirrors disinformation to Sales Floor.

Advice to Management

They Never take it, but....Try retention of quality loyal people in the future. . You treat Sales People with great disdain.. Shameful.

"Recruiting Mill"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

Pros

If you like to open/front only and are working with a top senior closer, and you're satisfied with the income as an opener, you may be happy.

Cons

New recruits are not paid adequately to make a living (minimum wage/commissions). They are trained to front for closers who make the big money. First-time clients initial purchases are minimal (commission cuts are peanuts) and it takes time to build up a base of clients. When struggling new agents leave because they can't make a real living on the split commissions with first-time clients (small $), their clients or the (reloads) end up being given to the senior closers whose account base continues to get fatter with each new class of new recruits the company hires. It's a good situation for the senior closers/managers who make all the money and all the reload business on existing clients. The hard work is in finding the best clients (who invest their retirement $'s). New agents have to be willing to work 50-60 hours to pick up live calls when there is less competition for inbound calls. Otherwise, as a new agent you've got to dial like a machine non-stop from their database to find new clients.

Advice to Management

Pay new agents a decent salary for their efforts so they can afford to stay the course and learn the business. Train them in the products so that they can close on their own if they are confident enough. Don't exploit them and not pay them enough to make a living knowing you're only recruiting every 3 months to feed your seniors and managers new accounts.

"From an experienced Goldline AE"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Goldline International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am now reaching my 7th year at Goldline and have been through ups and downs, however worked hard and came out ahead. The people that complain are taking zero responsibility for their own behavior and/or ability to close on the phone. Also, to call the main spokesperson, a snake oil salesman per one of the more recent reviews, is just name calling and not entirely true. You can disagree with Glenn Beck's politics, but he truly believes everyone should own gold, and if you understood the history of fiat currency, then it should be a no-brainer to own physical precious metals.
    We are like a small family once you get through training. I work with some of the best people and management, especially Brian Crumbaker the CEO, who DOES CARE. People do not just drop off and then no one talks about it. I admit that happened several years ago when the company was much bigger, but we've done a lot of downsizing and as I said, it is more like a small family. I truly love the people I work with and know I am fortunate to be in such an environment.
    Regarding politics and Glenn Beck "the snake oil salesperson", I don't agree with him most of the time, nor do I with some of my colleagues regarding politics, but I do believe in the principle of owning gold, which is fundamental to doing well. Not everyone there leans to the conservative right, but we all are firm believers that what we sell has value, not just the product but the company itself, which is exactly what is needed in order to do well, not to mention being talented.
    One other thing, the "CRIMINAL" charges that were brought against Goldline were misdemeanors and settled out of court almost 4 years ago. YAWN. Move on, please. I was there for the whole debacle, beginning, middle and end. And it's OVER. Should I also explain that during the 18 month investigation, out of all the hundreds of thousands of people that became clients, less than 1% were dissatisfied and decided to work with the DA from the City of Santa Monica? Guess I already explained that part of the story that was clearly missing from the other review. In a different era, before those charges, there were salespeople that got away with lying, however all of that has changed and in part due to the charges that were brought against the company. It is now very ethically run and we have a compliance department that keeps us in check.
    As far as my ranking goes, I am in the middle of the company and could easily find ways and reasons to constantly complain. Instead I buckle up, work hard, and see the results and have seen my income grow. You have to follow their rules, after all it's not YOUR company, and you will see results if you are good on the phones. The people that write such negative reviews clearly didn't do well, or did at one point, then expected some sort of entitled treatment. How we sell on the phone now is completely different than 7 years ago and you have to evolve. Working on your sales technique is not something you just learn and then stop, you have to constantly find different ways to improve yourself. So not only has our presentation changed, but keep in mind that you, as a professional, need to find new ways to explain our company and products. That is a universal truth for all salespeople.
    This job is not for the faint of heart, but for people who want to work hard. There is another review about someone who talks about making a 6 figure income on a part-time basis. I can guess which one of 3 people that is and believe me, that is the exception to the rule and extremely misleading. Most people work M-F full-time. We also have full benefits, the best in the business. Also, there IS a draw. Thanks to CA labor laws, we do have a draw which is minimum wage. The new group of people who start are paid a small base plus commission. I just wanted to clear up that misconception as well.
    For all the people that complain about how we are so expensive, they obviously don't understand AT ALL our built in exit strategy. In this industry, you either profit on the front end or the back end. At Goldline it is on the front end and there is a very clear, formulaic way to explain that to our clients. If you have ever seen the show Pawn Stars on the History Channel, or any show like that, you know they completely undercut the value of the item being sold to them from a client so they, the store, can gasp, wait for it, make a profit and keep their business afloat. We do the same thing, but it is on the front end and are completely transparent. I can sleep at night knowing that my clients are fully aware of what they are acquiring and understand the cost associated with their investment. I should also add that many companies do what we do, charge their fees on the front end, but don't disclose that to their clients.

Cons

The lead distribution is definitely skewed. There are some underrated salespeople on the floor. We really should have more equally distributed leads to help everyone out.
    Please stop favoring the few part-timers! They do not deserve to be treated like royalty when there other very talented people on the floor that work much harder. I would hope that if extenuating circumstances ever happened in my life where I could not work full-time, I would be treated the same, but that is doubtful. I know for a fact that the few who do grace us with their presence are not exactly dealing with life crises, but just take advantage of their lead distribution.
    Also, I've heard from some newer people that they are lead to believe they can make 6 figures their first year. I wish Goldline would downplay that. It takes about 6 months - year to really understand the intricacies involved with this job and usually it takes people more than a year to make 6 figures. Have other income and/or a great savings account if you are hired. However, making that kind of money by your second year is completely normal. It is possible to make that money your first year, but truly, allow yourself some ramp up time.
    Do not rush training and have some veterans do more with the new people since we have the experience on the phone.

Advice to Management

If leads were more distributed on an equal basis, less people would complain and be happier.

"Salesperson"

Former Employee - Account Exc in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Exc in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Goldline International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good basic training work like a dog and u may get a bone.

Cons

Management is very unfair when it comes to long term earnings. Many are cheaters and they get ahead. Not a good place for honest workers.

Advice to Management

Replace of retire

"Professional thieves and liars"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Goldline International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company heirarchy and a select few make a lot of money.
    Everyone else struggles...
    Do yourself a favor....treat this company like Ebola....

Cons

It's a very long list:
    They are immoral, lying, thieving narcissists who take advantage of everyone they encounter.
    People who built the company are thrown out like garbage..never to be mentioned again....
    People die, become ill and suffer tragedy...and it is an environment that makes believe none of that happens...they have absolutely no regard for people....even their own. That translates into a company that will not hesitate to treat customers like nothing more than an opportunity to get their money. That was evidenced by the CRIMINAL charges leveled against the company and its' executives by the City of Santa Monica which resulted in forced surface changes to their business practices. However, under the surface, the same mentality and total lack of morality persists.Their answer...move out of Santa Monica into the City of Los Angeles....Of course that changed nothing other than their address.....
    They depend on fear...fear of their employees that they can be cut off from business on a whim...fear of their customers that is stoked by their principle snake oil salesman...Glenn Beck....

Advice to Management

Become human...if that's possible.

11. "Senior Account Executive"

Pros

All leads are provided to you via call ins of potential prospects from national radio program

Cons

No salary, no draw.....straight commission, so make sure sales is your thing