Goldman Sachs Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs US Reviews

United States

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Alot of smart people working with you (in 424 reviews)

• many people you can learn a lot from (in 94 reviews)

1. "Life at Goldman"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

They consistently promote the need to enhance vital skills such as communication, teamwork, analytical, and time-management skills. There are a variety of GS university courses offered to help employees do this. We have one on ones scheduled with our team leaders and direct managers every 2 weeks where we can discuss any topics that we would like. Topics include feedback on performance, goals, current processes/functions we are working on, etc. Working here, you will definitely come out refined and ready to work anywhere.

Cons

The hours are the only drawback that I can see. Although there is flexibility with vacation days, the amount of hours worked seem to shadow any leisure time you may have.

Advice to Management

Provide more of a work-life balance.

"Good place to start a career"

Current Employee - Analyst Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst Developer in New York, NY

Pros

The firm provides very diversified training classes, and I really improve both my hard skills and soft skills a lot here. It's a great place for young people to start a career, although there's no job security unless you have a really good personal relationship with your boss.

Cons

I used to commute 3 hours every day, considering I work more than 12 hours everyday, i have no personal life during weekday, and I got too tired to go out during the weekend.

Advice to Management

I hope senior management could communicate with employees better, we prefer to know what happen to the firm from you rather than from google news.

"Impact and Responsibility"

Former Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

One word comes to mind - impact. Goldman Sachs is a company that prides itself on being lean, yet outperforming the market. Teams are typically smaller in size than at other firms which implies huge responsibility and opportunity for impact for every member of the team. This is also an opportunity for your work to be recognized and for you to be appropriately compensated for it. Over my three years at Goldman, I was thankful for the flat organizational structure - I felt like I had access to very senior management and that they respected my opinion and my work. Rubbing shoulders and receiving feedback from them gave me the chance to learn and grow a lot in a limited period of time. In terms of professional satisfaction, career growth and compensation, there are very few firms that match what Goldman has to offer.

Cons

The responsibility each team member faces has its downsides as well in terms of work/life balance. The smaller teams implies that you would typically be handling a larger workload than at other firms and consequently be working longer hours. Additionally, Goldman senior management can sometimes run their divisions like fiefdoms - the company is not as horizontally integrated as some of the other firms may be. Finally, the tools and technologies that Goldman uses are not always the best in class - this follows from it's philosophy of being lean and doing things yourself. This could mean more effort to get certain tasks completed than at other firms.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that senior management work harder on getting the firm more horizontally integrated in terms of infrastructure, tools and communication.

4. "Goldman Sachs - Great place to work as long as you expect to work hard and long, but you will be rewarded for it."

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

The recognition and respect for the Goldman Sachs name is deserved because of how ethically the company is run by top leadership. Great motivational factor.

Cons

Extremely long hours not conducive to balanced work-family life

Advice to Management

There are people working at GS for a long time that really shouldn't be. There needs to be a better way of gauging performance by each individual so that actual performers are not being weeded out. Keeping the low performers around hurts the team.

5. "If you're up for the challenge, you can do well at Goldman Sachs"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

If you are smart, willing to work a lot of hours, and are able to operate effectively within a complex organization, you will be given important work and move up quickly.

Cons

The Peter Principle comes into play with low- to mid-level managers, though the annual 5% cut helps.

Advice to Management

Do everything in your power to promote the culture of meritocracy in all divisions.

6. "A great company with excellent culture!"

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Reputation and compensation. With tremendous growth potential.

Cons

Not a best place for someone who pursues career in technology field.

Advice to Management

need a better work/life balance.

"Goldman Sachs is a fantastic financial services employer."

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

Goldman Sachs, wherever you are, has a strong culture of simultaneously being excellent yet humble. People want you to succeed and will give you every ounce of support that you need to move to the next level of performance and/or responsibility. If you do a great job in any area of the firm, Goldman supports the ability for top analysts to be mobile across divisions and responsibility levels. After doing a summer there, it really taught me how to carry myself professionally, work as part of a team, and become extraordinarily more self-aware about my strengths and weaknesses. Overall, it's a great place to work.

Cons

As with any top-tier financial services firm, the hours are long, and it is easy to lose work-life balance. This is especially true for a summer intern, who is seeking to prove himself or herself. You must be aware of office needs and fit your own needs into the schedule--management does care about this. Also, this is a high performance culture where any lapse into mediocrity or making minor errors is not tolerated. Goldman, therefore, can be a rough place at times when you slip, which you are bound to do at some point. The key is to stay cool and take feedback in strides.

Advice to Management

I would say that Senior Management should be more proactive in giving feedback if something is not done correctly or most appropriately. It does not make sense to wait until a performance review to address something if it is possible for a junior employee to make amends well before that. This would substantially help employee morale and improve the overall performance of the firm.

8. "Where the best and the brightest work."

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Surrounded by very intelligent and driven people.

Cons

Face time and long hours are important making for a poor work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Provide more timely constructive feedback and recognition for a job well done.

9. "Goldman Sachs, an oppourtunity to work with the best people and grow."

Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

You are working with the smartest people that are very focus in doing a good job. Everyone is working together as a team to address the business needs. A lot of good working habits can be learned in the job. In the technology area, there is a big focus on working together with the business to come up with the right solution, and you will feel you are part of the team in the business unit.

Cons

As you will expect when joining Goldman Sachs, you will need to be very committed to work. People need to consider this is what they want and can do, in order to be successful in the company.

Advice to Management

They are doing a very good job in attracting the best people and fits well with the company culture.

10. "GS- a great place to work, at least in the short term..."

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

Challenging environment, intelligent competent people, best training in its class, great opportunities for career advancement and professional growth, great compensation, great on the resume for business school and other career opportunities. The 360 performance review process can be helpful, but you must stay aggressive about managing your career and where you want to go professionally in order to stand out amongst your peers and challenge yourself. There are also a lot of opportunities for advancement if you're great at networking. Otherwise, you can get stuck in a division or job role that you may not like.

Cons

politics, lack of communication b/w management and employees, sometimes ppl are too high strung

Advice to Management

Squash the politics and try to be as fair as possible with bonuses and promotion opportunities

Showing 72 of 4,320 reviews