Goldrich Kest Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Goldrich Kest Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2019

Found 46 reviews

3.8
Goldrich Kest CEO Michael Drandell (no image)
Michael Drandell

"Found a Company that feels like a family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Goldrich Kest full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great People, Management is making many positive changes and the changes they are making show how invested Management is to making sure that GK is a great place to work.

Cons

Health care could be more affordable for people with spouses on their insurance, but healthcare is expensive everywhere.

Goldrich Kest2019-06-26

"Supportive Company"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Goldrich Kest full-time for less than a year

Pros

Never seen a company so willing to have people drop what they are doing to provide one on one training to fully understand the job

Cons

Need to open up the pool of vendors we are able to utilize

Advice to Management

Nothing at this time

Goldrich Kest2019-04-18

"Excellent company to work"

I have been working at Goldrich Kest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A lot of training provided; opportunity to grow

Cons

Small compensation and expensive health care benefits

Goldrich Kest2019-03-12

"There could be worse..."

Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Goldrich Kest full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Work/Home Balance 2. Commission Structure

Cons

1. Lack of support from upper management 2. Poor choice in vendors used at properties 3. Horrible Onsite Employee Living Incentive

Advice to Management

In the initial training, the company seemed to have a family oriented culture. The ideas and concepts presented seemed promising, like GK was a great company to work for. Unfortunately, after not receiving my first pay check on pay day I quickly realized there would be little to no support from the Corporate field. This is the first company that I have seen snail mail a check on the day it is supposed to be received.... No one even seemed to understand my frustration, let alone apologize for the inconvenience. I email our Regional regularly regarding onsite concerns and resident issues and rarely receive a response. It doesn't seem that anyone is invested in the overall morale of the staff. If they were, they would understand the importance of their staff feeling supported and appreciated. I would suggest surveying your staff and seriously taking their issues into consideration.

Goldrich Kest2019-03-09

"Good Company/Weak Employees"

I have been working at Goldrich Kest full-time

Pros

Large, profitable company with a long history of successful developments throughout California.

Cons

Too many employees don't understand the concept of hard work and sharing the workload. The words "not my job" are common.

Advice to Management

work on accountability.

Goldrich Kest2018-10-17

"Retaliation, favoritism and duplicity."

Former Employee - Senior Trainer in Culver City, CA

I worked at Goldrich Kest full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pockets of great leadership in the organization. If you're working here, and are applying to Accounting, Asset Management, Facilities or Marketing, be assured that you'll be working under leaders who genuinely care about you, to help you grow, and to value your contributions.

Cons

Being in a position that is highly involved in culture, I had first hand experience with just how little leadership actually cared about their people. A lot of "talk the talk, but not walk the walk". They literally have values all over corporate, and "Trust" is in the smallest font. "Lets just put some nice words together and call it values, because I read in some articles that a great company has values." A lot of... what they do is like this. Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, or, let's just do something because it sounds like a neat thing to do. Let's put up a suggestion box and never respond. Lets up "values" and never refer to them again. Promotions are based off how much you're liked, how long you've been there, and not based on your actual skills. I had first hand experience in this. Want to move up? Better brush up on your social skills. If you speak up, be prepared to be retaliated against. When I spoke up about my newly promoted manager who threw me under the bus (because god forbid a leader who stands up for their team), and how their promotion was not logical (low competency and skills in the Training department), and accused him of promoting this person out of favoritism, I was unjustly picked on. He began to watch my every move, speak negatively about me in a public space and to my team members, and attempt to rally other leaders to isolate me socially. This should speak to the toxicity of this organization from the very top. When I finally put in my two week notice, they paid me for my two weeks and told me to go home the same day. I suspect I was too much trouble for speaking up. He made my last few weeks there a nightmare. I hated coming in to work. I have no doubt this person will see this review and immediately discount it. This company spends so much energy putting out fires and not enough on preventing them. Case in point: They hired a third party company to "fix" their corporate culture, while at the same time not having enough time to define their values. A lot of talk about wanting to be the best place to work in LA, about caring and listening to their people, about fairness, about inclusiveness..but you'll see, very little action. There is a negative culture here of people talking negatively of others. This needs to stop. And your leadership need you to set the example.

Advice to Management

Put less value on seniority and the popularity contest. How long you've been there and how well you're liked shouldn't be the main factors in your promotion. There's always going to be fires to put out. Put more effort and time into preventing fires. I see that you're attempting to do that with the third party company you hired to fix your culture, but ingrain it into your culture. Make all of your leaders... incorporate some time in their weekly meetings to devote to "preventing fires". Ideas that will help the department grow through process, organization and more. Define your values. Really. Set some time, and get with your leadership, and define the culture you want. Someone in HR put it perfectly when talking about the current iteration of your values: "People interpret words differently" Drill into your culture to listen to your people. Not just say, "we're listening". How about responding to those suggestions in your suggestion box? You've done this once. And the purpose of it was to say, "Stop asking for these things, its not happening" Not every idea need to be implemented, but wouldn't it be an easy win to just respond and make your people feel like they're listened to? Celebrate your people's achievements. Put the spotlight on your people who grind every day to make your company successful. No, Im not talking about your leaders. Im talking about everyone else. Easy way to do this: Spotlight some of your awesome field employees in a company wide email. Talk to them, about them, about their jobs, their contributions, their successes, lessons learned. How great would that be? Oh, does this sound familiar? It was submitted to your suggestion box. Your amazing Director of Marketing is the only one who ever felt the need to tell me she read my suggestion, because she understands the value of making people feel like their being heard. Leadership is a people position, not a paper-pushing, task-master position. Drill it into your leadership team that leadership means that success as a leader should be measured by how much the leader is contributing to each of their team member's success. Read that last sentence carefully, and focus on the word MEASURED. People behave based on what they're measured on. If you measure your leaders like this, they will lead like this. Leadership is a people role. You're not managing task and pushing paper, you're leading people. An easy way to do this is to incorporate some form of 360 feedback. Again, easy to do this and forget about it. Your leaders won't care what their people are saying about them, if you dont hold your leaders accountable to the feedback their team is giving them. A leader needs to come in and say, "what can I do for my team today to ensure that my team is producing at a high level?" It would be naive to say that the answer to that question is to be their best friend. But every individual in their team needs to be given equal amounts of attention to increase their effectiveness. Some people need a heavier hand, others need to be inspired, others need a "good morning" and a smile every morning. It is the leader's job to figure out how best to lead their team on a team and individual level. Everything said here I spoke at length to my boss, and every time without fail, he would change the subject. He might as well have rolled his eyes. That's a prime example of how to make your team members feel ignored and not valued.

Goldrich Kest2018-10-05

"This Company is what the ‘Bottom of the Food Chain’ looks like"

I have been working at Goldrich Kest full-time

Pros

Housing is part of the negotiation salary but translates to lower salary, and therefore less likely to qualify for a home (Debt to Income Ratio)

Cons

No legitimate training for new team members Culture (lack of enthusiasm, morale—Reflection of leadership) High turnover Over worked and underpaid Pitiful property conditions Horrible vendors Micro-management Disgraceful Annual raises

Advice to Management

Invest into your employees. An annual CONVERGE does NOT mean you’re investing into your employees. Provide a platform to perpetually train them and enhance their strengths+weakenesses, ESPECIALLY the new Team Members.

Goldrich Kest2018-08-17

"Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Goldrich Kest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Director Denise Garcia was a great addition to the leadership team. Most co workers are team players which makes doing your job easy.

Cons

The upper leadership is a clique. Pay is not up to industry standards and training is a joke.

Advice to Management

This company could be so much better if it wasn’t ran as who you knows allows you to progress and grow.

Goldrich Kest2018-06-02

"Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Goldrich Kest full-time

Pros

The company has been changing a lot the last two years. At first I was scared I would be weeded out. But now I feel like I am part of something that is a good. At our last quarterly community manager meeting my Director said she loves coming into work and cares about our careers and wants everyone who works for her to love coming into work too and I believe her. My Regional is the best boss I have had since... being with GK and really seems to care about me and helping me grow.

Cons

I am really happy right now so don’t have anything negative to say. If you need a job you should apply to GK.

Advice to Management

Nothing

Goldrich Kest2018-05-05

"Best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Goldrich Kest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Executive team is very involved and always open to listening to new ideas and working toward a common goal of having GK be one of the best places to work in LA. Company culture is fun and exciting and people are always there to help one another. We have a great bonus plan in place and every employee has the ability to earn a bonus and pay increase every year.

Cons

Wish we had a little more flexibility with our work hours or even working remote.

Goldrich Kest2018-04-10