GolfNow "golf courses" Reviews | Glassdoor

GolfNow Employee Reviews about "golf courses"

Updated Feb 13, 2019

4.2
GolfNow CEO Mike McCarley (no image)
Mike McCarley
Pros
  • "Beautiful campus shared with our parent company’s HQ- Golf Channel(in 16 reviews)

• "Great benefits and great incentives(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Advancement only if you are sleeping with the boss or part of the good ole boys club of upper management(in 7 reviews)

• "Unfortunately many golf courses do not like GolfNow whatsoever so it can get old dealing with them daily(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "golf courses"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Plus Brand Specialist"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at GolfNow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge business growth potential and a fun place to work.

Cons

No room for growth. Sending emails, posting on social and review responses for golf courses - that's your job...

Advice to Management

Stop trying to force culture on the team, let it organically happen.

GolfNow2019-02-14

"Awful Culture, Poor Leadership, Great Benefits."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at GolfNow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and pay are definitely fair. Perks of working for NBC/Comcast/Universal are plentiful. Discount on cable and internet, free tickets to the park, and you occasionally get to see shows and movies before they get released. Overall, working across the street from the Golf Channel is generally pretty cool. Most of your coworkers will be enjoyable people to spend time with and many are increadibly... knowledgeable. Onsite cafeteria but it is slightly more expensive then you would think.

Cons

Company culture here is downright awful. They have a "no jerk" rule is not enforced outside of low level employees aka they really only want yes men. Censored Jerk since the actual rule can't be posted here due to "bad language." There is absolutely no support from higher ups and people who have the ability to make decessions. Projects take far too long to launch and are often poorly planned and lack the... budget to be impactful. Egos are abundant here, to the point where its detremental to the company's success. The I'm right your wrong mentality is present in a lot of higher level employees, which means if you don't have a directorship or VP title associated with your name you'll most likely never be taken seriously despite how right you might be. Business cliches are thick here. Think TPS report from Office Space. Everything has a three letter accronynm and they expect you to just know what they all mean with little to no explanation. Arbitrary reporting is necessary for your job. Amorpheous job responsibilities, lack of top down direction, inability to provide employees with tools necessary to do their job, and a general pass the buck attitude are huge problems with the company, especially now that growth has slowed and the company is constantly looking for people to blame for leaderhip's complete failure to lead. Company doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it a service provider to golf courses? Is it a tee time ecommerce site? Is it a technology company? The company doesn't know what it wants to be, tries to be everything, which makes GolfNow a jack of all trade and master of none. The two people most responsible for GolfNow's success are more interested in surfing and playing golf then they are running the business side of things.

Advice to Management

Stop leading from behind. Assume responsibility for your leadership roles and start providing solutions to issues the company faces instead of passing the buck to subordinates. Support your employees who want to get projects started. Hoping they'll be able to do it without top down support at this organization is a delusion, given the obstinance and heel digging present in every department.

GolfNow2017-10-25

"Golfer Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Golfer Care Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at GolfNow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good starting hourly rate $14 per hour, eligible for health benefits and 401K from day one, great cafeteria, central location, sick, holidays and personal paid days.

Cons

Terrible call center, unqualified middle management. In the past I worked at a handful of call centers, but after being laid off from a government job, I was struggling to find a job. So I decided to apply for a job in a call center. At first I thought that working for Golf Now a subsidiary of NBC, a company with such reputation was going to be a great opportunity. But boy oh boy, I was in for a surprise.... The hiring process was rather quick. After I filled out an application on line, the next morning I received an email for a video interview. Then a couple of days later, and after three face to face interviews, they offered me the job. Two other new hires and I had about a week and a half of training. But let me tell you, it was awful! The training consisted of first sitting in a conference room for about two hours a day, looking at PowerPoint slides and listening to a “trainer” reading from the slides. Then we were sent to a computer to continue listening to more slides, and answer a few questions from a quiz. The rest of the day was spent on the call center floor, where we sat next to random agents to watch them deal with customers. By the time training was over, I was worried, because I realized that I was utterly unprepared for the job. However, our trainer’s answer was “Don’t worry, if you have any questions just ask your coworkers or any supervisor. Or look for answers in the Knowledge Base.” That was some sort of database, which apparently had the answer to all possible situations…yeah right. On our third week, we were assigned Team Supervisors. As far as I can understand, conceptually a supervisor’s responsibilities entails being visible to answer questions, keeping agents aware of their job performance, providing constant coaching, plus motivating and encouraging agents through positive communication and feedback. However, my “supervisor” was never, ever around. As the job description indicates, this is a customer service job, and that's what I found myself doing 95% of the time. However, our performance was evaluated solely on sales. To make matters worse, the way the job was designed, meaning from the service policies to the factors involved in the actual process of booking and cancelling tee times (i.e. the reservations software, the golf courses interface system, the membership terms, and the lack of cooperation from the golf courses personnel etc.), everything is meant to make every transaction a recipe for customer dissatisfaction. As a result, I repeatedly spent my day apologizing profusely, while the customer on the other end kept yelling and often times cursing , “Golf Now is nothing but a scam." Or "When are you gonna fix this?” The most frustrating thing was having to spend minutes saying no to a customer request for a refund, until the call escalated to a supervisor, who took over the call, just to give the customer the same refund (or more) that they told you not to give. Still, you are expected to maximize the time you spend on each call, in order to meet your sales KPI’s....it made no sense. I know that no organization structure, or method of management is perfect, and I know what to expect from a call center job. Still, there was never a break. It was eight hours of listening to complaints and profanity. Sadly, interacting with the golf course operators it was even worse than dealing with customers. They hated us, they were rude and regularly hang up on us, no matter how polite and respectful we were. During my tenure there, many, many people quit. That's because the job is extremely stressful. I never ate during my lunch breaks. Honestly, I was always so stressed out it just ruined my appetite. Another challenge was the fact that senior management frequently took supervisors away from the main floor for long staff meetings, which considerably affected our job performance, because we constantly needed to place customers on hold to ask a supervisor or a lead for approvals and escalations. So, if there was only ONE lead on the floor already dealing with a customer escalation, you just had to keep your customer on hold forever, which not only made your customer even more aggravated, but also affected your productivity metrics. Additionally, when some supervisors or leads were assigned to walk the floor, they often "assigned" special tasks (i.e. reservation assist, email or chat chores) to their favorites, so only their "pets" could get a break from answering the phones. These and other issues I encountered made me question senior management. For instance, middle management got shifted around and replaced by even less experienced people. I always wondered, are they really aware of what goes on here? Lastly, they start you at $14/hour for 90 days. But when you become eligible for incentive, you pay goes down to $12.50. However, do not hold your breath, even if you bust your behind to make commission the Quality Assurance Team’s job is to make sure they disqualify you by nitpicking your call recordings, so they don’t have to pay you a commission. That’s all I got.

Advice to Management

Consider implementing fair KPI's taking into consideration the fact that this is not just a sales job, but for the most part a customer service job. Therefore, you can't just measure productivity based on sales. Commission is also affected by customers' surveys, but when customers give a negative review they often evaluate the company not the service they received from a specialist. Hold your Marketing... Sales Managers accountable when they fail to work as liaison between Golf Now and the Golf courses. There is definitively a disconnect.

GolfNow2017-10-17

"Could be Great"

Former Employee - Market Sales Manager in Abingdon, MD

I worked at GolfNow full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I directly reported to were great mentors and I learned a lot from them. Being able to visit beautiful golf courses and drive around the state on a daily basis meant the job was never old.

Cons

Unfortunately many golf courses do not like GolfNow whatsoever so it can get old dealing with them daily.

Advice to Management

Listen to golf courses concerns and try to work with them instead of only telling them we're right and they're wrong.

GolfNow2016-12-02

"GolfNope"

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at GolfNow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its neat to be in the technology, sports and marketing firm all at the same time.

Cons

Low pay and high stress. They make people put their cell phones in a locker when they clock in so they don't get distracted by personal concerns. They really nickle and dime the heck out of golfers and golf courses to squeeze as much revenue as possible. Out of 300+ employees, you can probably count the number of people who have been there more than 3 years on one hand.

GolfNow2016-04-15

"Looks good from far away but HORRIBLE place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at GolfNow full-time for more than a year

Pros

The brand name itself is nice to have on your business card. Good benefits. Cool off-site locations to go to if you are ever part of the "club".

Cons

Unless you have no problem kissing tail to get to the top, this place is awful. The only people who have a chance to get promoted are young females or guys that kiss up so much they forget which day of the week it is. Thought you were going to work Monday - Friday?? Nope. You are told to be on the computer at least 3 times per day on weekends. Upper management doesn't care about anyone who isn't bowing at the feet... of the folks in charge. They try to act like they are the next APPLE and even compare themselves to Steve Jobs. Ever wonder why they are constantly hiring? It's not because of 1000% growth. It's because most people quit or get fired. Unless you are in the "click" you have no chance here. The people in charge won't even look at you if you are low on the totem pole. Unfortunately the customer (Golf courses) suffer because GolfNow is so busy trying to show how big of a monster they are, instead of focusing on service. I've seen good people get promoted to manager and then they turn into rude jerks because they are instructed to. You've been warned.

Advice to Management

Stop for 2 seconds to appreciate the people that actually make the wheels turn. Wouldn't hurt to learn a name and make eye contact and maybe even say "hello". Learn the definition of a good work/life balance.

GolfNow2015-11-13