GolfTEC Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great golf job"

Former Employee - Teaching Professional in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Teaching Professional in Columbus, OH

I worked at GolfTEC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best job in the golf industry

Cons

Not enough upward growth potential

Advice to Management

Keep your best employees by offering growth

"Coach"

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, fun place to work, great hours and pay for the golf business,

Cons

The pay is great for the golf business but there is a limit to how much you can really make...probably about $50-60,000. The hours are good for the golf business but you are still working 1 weekend day a week and some late nights.

3. "Best Golf Investment I ever made!"

Current Employee - Realtor in South Plainfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Realtor in South Plainfield, NJ

I have been working at GolfTEC (More than 10 years)

Pros

I came to GolfTEC because I am playing in a charity golf event in a week with friends I have known for 50 years. Unfortunately I haven't played a round of golf in over 20 years.
    I didn't want to embarrass myself so I researched to find the best golf pro around. Jason Blonder was the best man for the job according to a number of people. He didn't disappoint! I was so afraid of looking foolish off the first tee that I asked for help there. Much to my surprise, my first contact with Justin was an hour of analysis where he videotaped me and gently pointed out my areas that needed improvement. Then he spent an additional half hour going over the data, created a web page just for me with movies, class notes, tips and more for me to review before my first "official" lesson.
    Since then , Jason and I have met 3 times, and he deconstructed my swing, which had been created from by many lessons in years past, and has been rebuilding it ever since. I have a job in which I work long hours and didn't think I would find time to practice. Since being RE-constructed, step by step, I MAKE time to practice what I've learned.
    I am amazed by my progress and am ready to step up to the first tee in front of my buddies, and everyone else, confident that I will be able to hit the ball better than I ever have before!

Cons

I have no "Cons" to report.

Advice to Management

Give Jason a raise!

"Golf Instruction's Boiler Room"

Former Employee - PGA Pro & 'Certified Coach' in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - PGA Pro & 'Certified Coach' in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at GolfTEC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some advantages to being indoors & climate controlled.
    Holidays off. END OF PROS

Cons

Simply, the most dishonest users I've ever encountered in my life. I can't believe there are legit great reviews. I'm a mid career PGA Class A Professional with multiple local/section & national awards. I was recruited - and the potential to open a franchise in my home town was the key for me joining.

No agreement they made regarding pay was kept.

After my first 10.5 months I was ranked #4 out of 428 pros nationally in sales. My sales of the coveted full year higher-end lesson packages was twice the company average. My sales of custom fitting sessions was three times the entire center's - combined.

I literally could not afford to get to work... the pay 'formula' is "up to their discretion" - when you 'new & excited and ready to rock' it's implied that you could make MORE if you really do well...

I was assured - direct quote "Don't worry, you're doing great! It takes a little while for the formula (corp. center manager used) to catch up but when all is said and done, YOUR PAY SHOULD BE ABOUT 40% OF YOUR SALES:...

Now that's a loosely descriptive term...I'm cool with that.. could mean a couple grand. I sold 160K and my gross pay was 38,5..

Not even CLOSE to "about 40%"
    -Closer to TWENTY THOUSAND OFF "about 40%"

At my 'annual review just prior to starting my 12th month, my manager knew the pay thing had been an on going issue. There were four teaching pros when I started and the mgr was weaning himself out of lessons & not taking new clients, as he was 'overseeing a few locations and he was due & probably expecting to get beamed up to the mothership. During that first year, 2 of our pros quit, and I trained a new golfTEC U grad - who's entire teaching resume was assisting the summer before with jr golf clinics for the town.

At our meeting he was very sympathetic and told me "Yes, YOU hit it out of the park, but 'the center' didn't, so didn't make bonuses"...I reminded him it'd been behind for the last 6 months - he knew - I wrote to the head sales guy (we had gotten along very well and he'd written me saying how great I was doing) and Mike in Denver and told them I simply couldn't even afford to get to work some weeks without borrowing $50 day before payday. I POLITELY demanded they write AT LEAST a 5K check and we'd negotiate something on the remainder of the mysterious $20,000 pay gap OR, I WOULD BE FORCED TO FINISH THE NEXT MONTH and resign.

They ask if you're going to leave to please give as much notice as possible so you can introduce your clients to their new coach, do some 'transition lessons' which I had no problem with. I had good relationships and had become quite friendly with most, so I wanted to finish the next 4-5 weeks anyway...

That was a Saturday afternoon, after closing another full year plan from a Groupon Evaluation - no less.

He said he would inform Denver of my situation. He called me back the next day (Sun) and said "They figured it be best if I did NOT return at all. I had LOADS of stuff there, books, a computer platform staff bag, teaching aids....he said they'd send it all UPS. THEY DIDN'T WANT ME BACK ON THE PROPERTY. Not even to due the 'transition lessons'.

I found out from several students they were told I just quit. Period. No warning....which was total BS! AND MY Reputation they were smearing. Many of my students asked for refunds of their unused sessions and some took the 2 or 3 free lessons 'to meet the new coach' and then stopped

Their entire plan is accepting of massive turnover... SO what if 1/2 your clients leave - they got all those other ones you brought in

Advice to Management

Out of 20+ people I met in my tri-state district - including TWO CORPORATE GOLDEN BOYS, all were gone except 3. 3 left out of 20 in 3 years. Get ready to explain yourselves to PGA NATIONAL as several of us are preparing and asking a national email be sent to all members asking if they worked for golfTEC, did they get the pay they were promised and why the left

"Teaching Professional"

I worked at GolfTEC full-time

Pros

Great technology to use for teaching

Cons

Owner was absolutely horrible to work for

6. "GolfTEC"

I worked at GolfTEC full-time

Pros

Technology and System
    Customer Relationship Management

Cons

Scheduling gets so busy that it seems like you work on a production line. Not able to continue building relationships or grow financially

7. "manager"

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time

Pros

great technology helping golfers improve

Cons

heavy on sales over teaching quality

Advice to Management

keep an eye on lesson quality

"Former Employee"

Pros

Holidays off -- rare in the golf industry
    Reputation of the company with customers is great
    Marketing is fantastic

Cons

Very expensive for your everyday consumer so your market is limited
    Pay for the amount of lessons is half of what it would be if an instructor were to do that many on their own
    They have taken away the personality of each location and made them all look the same

Advice to Management

Understand that 2,000 lessons in one year is a lot and that your burn out rate will remain high at those rates.

9. "Director of Instruction"

Current Employee - Director of Instruction in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Instruction in Seattle, WA

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great hours. Stable pay. Growing company.

Cons

Focus on sales sometimes exceeds focus on customer service.

10. "It was better in theory"

I worked at GolfTEC full-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere. great following a passion, great guys in corporate

Cons

All wordsssss no action