GolfTEC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Assell

1. "Director of Instruction"

Current Employee - Director of Instruction in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Instruction in Seattle, WA

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great hours. Stable pay. Growing company.

Cons

Focus on sales sometimes exceeds focus on customer service.

2. "Company status"

Current Employee - City Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - City Manager in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

GolfTEC has a great team camaraderie, 401k matching benefits with 40 hour work week so you are not overwhelmed. The company has many different areas to focus on and can train you to become better in an area you are passionate about.

Cons

Need more upper level support structure to manage the middle level managers.

Advice to Management

Increase the upper management support structure to foster faster and more sound growth.

3. "Great place to start teaching"

Former Employee - Certified Golf Coach in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Certified Golf Coach in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Very thorough outline of the teaching and sales process, all beneficial if interested in making a career out of teaching.

Cons

The pricing of lesson packages vary so greatly that a lot of 'regulars' wait for the sales. Makes it difficult during non-sales months.

Advice to Management

Most of these are owned by franchises, so make sure you also interview the owner before starting to go over expectations.

5. "Great Company that has a passionate team and positive outlook."

Current Employee - Regional Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Regional Marketing in Denver, CO

Pros

Great team atmosphere and great Coaches that are very passionate about their craft. Everyone is working towards a common goal. I have a great manager that is on the cutting edge for marketing strategy. They care about the individual employees and will work with you if relocation is needed or something in the job isn't met or satisfying. A growing and cutting edge company in the golf industry. The entire team listens and responds to your ideas. You don't need to be afraid of sharing your opinion and it sets up for a great environment of brainstorming, etc... Plus, you are more passionate about the strategy since you know the rationale behind it and got to contribute to it. Very much of an open office feel where you can talk with anyone about anything.

Cons

Sometimes a little too reactionary but overall no real cons.

Advice to Management

Keep growing from within. The team you have in place can take you far no need to look for high management or consulting outside the current company. You have rockstars now; I trust they will continue to lead the company to great achievements. Just add to that team as you grow.

"Work for Peanuts Anyone???"

Former Employee - Certified Coach in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Certified Coach in Denver, CO

Pros

It's always nice to help people play better golf, even while having fire breathing washed up "pros" breathing down your neck for sales. It reminds me of the movie "Boiler Room"! "We don't hire golf pros! We indoctrinate them!"

Cons

1. NO Money
    2. TOO Many hours to justify point #1
    3. No clear leadership
    4. Crony upper management
    5. Poor expectations or unrealistic
    6. Lets just say, if you love charity work, this is the job for you!

Advice to Management

Enjoy your position now. Competition with your model only takes a tiny vision a little capital.

7. "GolfTEC... a great place to work."

Former Employee - Lead Graphic Designer in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Graphic Designer in Centennial, CO

I worked at GolfTEC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and get your golf swing better while your at it. The headquarters in Centennial Colorado has a nice friendly atmosphere, and everybody has the same goal, teach more lessons.
    They have some great coaches, and everybody is very professional.

Cons

Sometimes things can get a crazy, and sometimes you'll have a few longs days. But over all... great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep it fun.

8. "golftec"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at GolfTEC (More than 3 years)

Pros

40-45 hrs week, 2 days off a week, one of them being a weekend day. Full time, The joy of seeing students get to their goals and better their game is very rewarding.

Cons

Very low income, hourly pay is barely above the minimum rate. No room for advancement. Raises to only individuals at HQ. Technology is behind. Only care about how much you sell and pushed to recommend higher plans no matter what.

Advice to Management

Reward your coaches more with raises. The coaches should be paid more than hq since we are the ones bringing in the money

9. "Had a great learning experience would reccommend to those looking to get into the business of teaching. Come open minded"

Current Employee - Golf Instructor in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Golf Instructor in Cary, NC

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comp plan, networking and your in a surrounding area that will allow you to work with your passion stay up on your game!

Cons

Challenge to working here might be self motivation , you may do much better with a sales process that isn't super hard pressure. A lot of analytical progression!

Advice to Management

Care!

"Absolute horrible environment"

Current Employee - Instructor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One weekend day off. 40 or less per week. Zero chance they pay you to be there more. Most instructors teach on the side to make extra money. Don't get caught. Joe Assell tries, I'll give him credit there but can't afford decent management. Mike is absolutely in it for himself. Watch your back.

Cons

Owners who know nothing about golf. They tell you to teach your own style but they don't mean it. The technology is light years behind. Pay is horrible and you have to become a slimy salesman to make living expenses. Compensation and benefits are up to individual owner. You can't afford the insurance. The only somewhat successful operations are company owned because of the cool-aid mentality. Be prepared to drink it. They don't want your opinion. It's about sales and not about teaching golf.

Advice to Management

Update technology, stop giving franchises to people who have no business sense and no nothing about the golf business.

11. "Franchise owners in Southwest Florida were great employers. They treated me like family."

Former Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at GolfTEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for someone who has a lifetime of golf industry experience was a plus. Being able to teach and coach players full time is amazing. Ownership were very understanding and flexible with my family life. Treated us like family.

Cons

Seasonal market can be tough, but there are plenty of golfers who need help in SW Florida and we were able to begin to tap that market.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. Treat employees just like you treated me. I came in and did exactly what was expected of me, and I never had my owners not do something I asked of them. You get out what you put in, in everything in life. Highly recommend this to anyone who wants to coach full time.