KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Golin

Engaged Employer

Golin

Add a Review

Golin Employee Reviews about "golin"

Updated Nov 22, 2020

Found 34 of over 340 reviews

3.6
Golin CEO Matt Neale
Matt Neale
Pros
  • "Golin has supported me throughout my career(in 38 reviews)

• "Great people, great culture and they do try to improve the overall business(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The pay is just "okay" compared with other PR companies(in 28 reviews)

• "Not conducive to people who like jumping from job-to-job -- people who want to stay at least 2 years have the best experiences and really 'get' Golin(in 28 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "golin"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Best career decision I've made

Oct 28, 2020 - Director in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Explosive growth and ability to work with industry-leading clients. - Been able to progress quickly in my career with lots of support from senior leadership. - "No surprise" performance reviews - lots of ongoing feedback and engagement with manager - Inclusive work environment - I feel respected and a sense of belonging. - Operates like a startup, but with major agency resources.

Cons

- Working remotely (because of COVID) has interrupted the fun office culture. - Honestly gets a bad rep from agency-hoppers. Not conducive to people who like jumping from job-to-job -- people who want to stay at least 2 years have the best experiences and really 'get' Golin.

2. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great internship to make your debut to the PR industry

Aug 19, 2020 - PR Intern in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Mentorship opportunities are available to help you grow as a professional - Wonderful work culture (Golin truly cares for its employees and it shows!) - Very hands-on internship experience

Cons

- No room for overtime (even though you stay late in the office finishing assignments) - No full-time positions are guaranteed upon completing the 6-month internship - Very little check-ins from those who run the internship program

3. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Internship

Jun 10, 2019 - PR Intern in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

My team and intern class was awesome and so fun to work with. On top of having fun, I learned so much and gained real world experience from all of the hands on work. Never once did I have to run an errand or grab coffee for my team, which was stressed at the very beginning of the internship too. I was always given real projects for my clients. I was never treated like an intern, but always a valued team member. I know my fellow interns felt the same throughout their time here too. We were also all given "Golin Guides" which served as mentors who did not work on our teams. They were our go-to's if we had any questions or needed advice professionally or personally. 10/10 recommend this internship program.

Cons

The environment is very fast-paced and you have to juggle multiple projects at times, but that is just how agencies work. I learned to love the pace over the weeks, but it was definitely an adjustment at first. At times I had to work over 40 hours a week, but as an intern you are eligible for overtime pay which was nice!

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Do Not Work at Golin Los Angeles

Jan 17, 2019 - Senior Account Director in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am not sure I have any pros.

Cons

Do not work at Golin Los Angeles. I have worked for other agencies and by far this was the worst experience. My management was horrible. It was a "do as I say, not as I do" environment. They have no problem blaming stuff on others. Also, since leaving, I have found out that when my prospective employers call them, they are bad-mouthing me. Now who does that. So glad to be out of there. I am telling you - not a place you want to be.

14 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Proud to Work at Golin NYC!

Jun 27, 2017 - Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Golin NYC is filled with talented, passionate people, and this talent and passion shines through in every facet of the agency from the bold, smart work we produce for our clients to the inclusive, welcoming culture that makes coming to work fun. Our client partners are among the most respected brands in the industry, and since our new MD took the reins two years ago, our client roster has grown substantially to include some of the most coveted accounts in the business. The people here are kind, compassionate and collaborative. (And fun!) In my time here, colleagues have become teammates, and teammates have become friends. The level of camaraderie in this office is unlike any other agency I've worked at in my career. But here's the best part: everyone has an equal voice. If you have a vision and the drive to make it happen, senior leadership will empower you and give you the tools you need to make that dream come to fruition.

Cons

The G4 Model, a cornerstone of the culture at Golin, allows people to focus on their areas of expertise. And yes this is amazing, but as with any major change, this model does require a bit of an adjustment for people coming from a "traditional" agency model. There is a bit of a learning curve for some, but once you adapt, it is well worth it.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Executive Director

Jun 14, 2016 - Executive Director in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

More than a motto, Golin really does push to do brave work that's worth of awe and action. The strategic POV of brand relevance has set it apart in the industry and given the agency an anchor for everything it does. By growing through digital and creative, it has gone well beyond its roots as a PR shop and become a fully integrated agency capable of brand and digital strategy, creative, content, engagement and analytics. I'm proud to work here and am thrilled to see the growth across the network, especially in the New York office, where new leadership has transformed the culture and set a positive course for the future to make Golin the Agency of the Decade.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with Golin is explaining to people who we are. While we're one of the top 10 PR firms in the world, we have limited brand recognition compared to others. And I'd love to see us mentioned more often alongside other integrated agencies in the IPG portfolio and beyond.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Golin New York - A Great Place to Grow Your Career

Mar 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Golin brings in incredibly talented people, and even those who don't stay long almost always move up elsewhere. The client roster is robust and full of brands you've heard of (and some you haven't, yet). The culture is inclusive and engaging. Perks like Unlimited PTO and 1 Work From Home day per week are a great bonus but not always taken advantage of. Golin is an incredibly developmental environment where everyone learns quickly and works collaboratively. Politics is almost non-existent.

Cons

The level of access to senior management and empowerment is great, but is not universal. Due to aggressive new business growth (a positive) there is a lot of work to be done. Some employees get burned out and don't feel like their concerns are being heard.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great LA agency for career growth and work life balance

Nov 12, 2017 - Catalyst in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The LA Golin office is a great place to grow your PR career, work on smart and innovative campaigns, and feel supported and encouraged by senior leadership. You are not only comfortable being yourself and pursuing your passions, but you are emboldened and expected to do so. We work on some of the most reputable brands in the business – and we’ve executed programs that are different and bold. The people who work here are collaborative, adaptable, ambitious, and resourceful. The recent arrival on a new creative head has rejuvenated the entire office. Golin LA takes mentorship seriously – people are genuinely dedicated and invested in the growths of peers and direct reports. The MD of the office highly prioritizes diversity and inclusiveness. There are great benefits that are unheard of at comparable agencies, such as unlimited time off, work from home and wellness reimbursement. Finally, the office space is very modern and spacious.

Cons

Golin LA is fast-changing - not a great fit if you're looking for a more traditional agency.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Diversity and Inclusion

Sep 20, 2018 - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been here for five years and what initially attracted me to Golin is what continues to keep me here. The creative+ innovated environment and commitment to diversity and inclusion are some of the main reasons why I love coming to work every day. They also have some of the best benefits and flexibility programs in the country! Recently Golin’s managing director, Ginger Porter, has brought tremendous change to our organization creating an even more welcoming environment and elevating our diversity and inclusion efforts. I have seen Golin hire diverse team members who come from all types of backgrounds that have allowed them to develop unique insights and expertise. As a Latina in the workforce, I had always strive to find an employer that embraces the same values and opportunities as I do.

Cons

Although we are located in an awesome building, it's a little hard to get to but we manage.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great national rep but poor L.A. leadership

May 16, 2017 - Vice President/Director in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to learn about the evolution of PR, long history of innovative campaigns, great national and global reputation, good perks and benefits, great place to build relationships. Chicago (HQ), Dallas and London offices are best in business -- one star for these offices, and one star for Al Golin legacy.

Cons

LA office lacks strong leadership, not the same place since its previous MDs who really cared about the staff. Current MD is a robot, cannot be trusted. Stagnant environment in LA where politics rule office and top-heavy senior management team lacks real talent, creativity or ability to innovate. Questionable unethical decisions made behind closed doors. Current MD has driven the best senior talent out to bring in her former colleagues to inherit their work, clients and team members. Very long hours and expectation to work around the clock, no real work-life balance exists here anymore, and no one really cares about you -- It's a CYA mentality with senior leaders. They claim "unlimited vacation" but the chances that you can actually utilize that perk are slim.

3 people found this review helpful