KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Golin

Engaged Employer

Golin

Add a Review

Golin Employee Reviews about "pr"

Updated Dec 22, 2020

Found 17 of over 340 reviews

3.6
Golin CEO Matt Neale
Matt Neale
Pros
  • "Golin has supported me throughout my career(in 38 reviews)

• "Great people, great culture and they do try to improve the overall business(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The pay is just "okay" compared with other PR companies(in 28 reviews)

• "Not conducive to people who like jumping from job-to-job -- people who want to stay at least 2 years have the best experiences and really 'get' Golin(in 28 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "pr"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Awesome culture, you will learn a lot

May 8, 2017 - Postgrad in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- smart, intelligent, kind people - very encouraging and helpful to the interns - intern group was close-knit - cool place to work, lots of perks and free food - global clients - you get to see the way it works when you have a team with plenty of resources and top-notch people run things - intern mentors are amazing - Goliners will help you afterwards too

Cons

- most of the interns didn't end up with a job there and it's particularly challenging if you're in the connector/catalyst category (digital marketing, PR, account mgmt) - they aren't transparent about whether there are jobs available or not (however, all the interns did land on our feet eventually) - definitely a bit clique-ish at times

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee

This really isn't the place

Dec 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Prestigious agency with top clients - Unlimited PTO (but most feel pressured against using it) - Monthly office events to boost company morale - Aggressive business growth and high mobility

Cons

- Like previous reviews, Golin's performative activism is jarring. As a person of color, I felt like leadership was truly out of touch and they lack any diversity whatsoever. How can a PR agency pronounce itself as progressive and connect with its audience when its own leadership fails to reflect such diversity? To its credit, the office is trying, but cultural cluelessness remains. - Office leadership is lacking. Instead of offering a community of growth, senior leadership would be quick to admonish or create an atmosphere of anxiety. Bad leadership is always overlooked. This also causes burnout for those of us under. - Factory-like atmosphere with no real or fulfilling work. A lot of copy-and-pasting and a clear lack of work that requires creativity and thought. What makes PR exciting is coming to the table and problem solving with your peers, but there was none of that here. Leadership demands for your opinions but brushes them aside at the same time. - Not many pleasant experiences with HR, other than when I was recruited. - Very cliquey.

3. 2.0

Typical Global PR Agency -- Profits Over People

Aug 12, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good benefits. - Interesting work that allows the agency’s employees to gain experience in a variety of industries.

Cons

- Performative activism to distract the agency’s clientele from the lack of diversity within its leadership and staff. Last year, every office received a D&I presentation from corporate outlining the agency’s goals. Instead of focusing on why a diverse workplace is beneficial and what the company will do to support employees of color, the primary focus of the presentation was the financial benefit a D&I initiative would bring to the agency’s bottom line through new business wins. And following recent protests, conversations started by office leadership focused more on looting and property destruction instead of the real, systemic issues protestors are fighting against nationwide. - Meat-grinder mentality among corporate and office leadership that is typical among global PR agencies. Employees frequently are pushed to exceed utilization and capacity rates. I once had a VP laugh at my 104% capacity rate during a meeting: “We’ll have to push you to get that number higher.” - Employees were told multiple actions would be taken before the agency resorted to layoffs during the COVID-19 outbreak. Instead, the agency laid off 5% of its staff as a second step following small executive pay cuts. Prospective employees should expect to experience at least one round of layoffs annually. - Office leadership is often absent from quotidian activities. It is the type of workplace where meetings begin with less than half of the necessary attendees, and if you ask whether EVPs/MDs are joining, you’ll see a familiar shrug among those present. - Favoritism of certain junior staffers among office leadership is pervasive. Among office leadership, those who choose to be physically present more than 30 hours a week spend much of their time gossiping behind closed doors in their offices instead of attending team meetings. - No annual bonuses. Annual salary increases are small and aren’t guaranteed. Promotions are few and far between.

11 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic people, and some great clients. Opportunities to improve cultural/organizational issues and compensation.

Jun 29, 2019 - Senior Public Relations Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most staff are talented and hard-working, and genuinely care about delivering the best service to clients.

Cons

Specialization via G4 model has benefits for senior staff but does tend does pigeonhole junior/mid-level staff who should have the opportunity to more organically find their path in PR.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Executive Director

Jun 14, 2016 - Executive Director in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

More than a motto, Golin really does push to do brave work that's worth of awe and action. The strategic POV of brand relevance has set it apart in the industry and given the agency an anchor for everything it does. By growing through digital and creative, it has gone well beyond its roots as a PR shop and become a fully integrated agency capable of brand and digital strategy, creative, content, engagement and analytics. I'm proud to work here and am thrilled to see the growth across the network, especially in the New York office, where new leadership has transformed the culture and set a positive course for the future to make Golin the Agency of the Decade.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with Golin is explaining to people who we are. While we're one of the top 10 PR firms in the world, we have limited brand recognition compared to others. And I'd love to see us mentioned more often alongside other integrated agencies in the IPG portfolio and beyond.

6. 4.0

Associate

Nov 29, 2016 - Digital Associate in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at Golin are very smart and most are willing to invest energy in entry-level employees and interns. They have some great clients and produce awesome work. In my experience, people wanted to help me advance and were willing to teach. Great, fun culture. Unlimited PTO and ability to work from home is great.

Cons

Like any large agency, expect long hours and hard, challenging work. The management acknowledges that people work overtime and even though people were leaving, no one new got hired, so people were doing the work of many. Once you're stuck in a specific area, it's difficult to branch out and try other types of work and clients. Despite "unternship" marketing campaign, employees are expected to know a lot and be very practiced in PR/social/communications before they get to Golin.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Go All In

Jul 14, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Like many global agencies, Golin was forced to evolve or die in this new media era. Over the past decade Golin’s leadership set us on a path to becoming a truly integrated agency with relevancy at our core by reorganizing the agency to take advantage of specialty talent with the G4 model, developing proprietary tools like The Bridge and placing an emphasis on brave work. Similar to the agency as a whole, the Dallas office has grown significantly by partnering with blue chip clients across B2B and consumer categories allowing us to do the type of amazing PR and digital work that you can be proud of. We’re known for our amazing culture, which is partly due to a really stable leadership team that cares about staff life balance and development (even better now with our Life Time program), and making every moment ridiculously fun. We just moved into a brand spanking new office that brings our "Go All In" motto to life.

Cons

As an agency that’s celebrating it’s 60th anniversary this year, we’ve come a long way in transforming from an agency with roots in PR into an integrated agency that is fully integrated. We’re deepening our strength in specialty areas, but we’re building them the Golin way. The team members that are most successful at Golin have a really strong passion for doing things differently and building things from the ground up, so if you’re looking for a rigid agency experience, Golin may not be a fit.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Golin Drinks Their Own Kool Aid

Apr 6, 2018 - Prefer Not to Say in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Golin wow'd me with their Lifetime benefits, relaxed atmosphere, promise of exciting work, nice colleagues, and big brands. I can say with all honesty I'm not sure I've ever worked with people as nice as the people at Golin. Golin is a big name on any resume and promises some big name clients as well. I wouldn't stay longer than a year.

Cons

Despite pushing Courageously Happy, Lifetime, Have Her Back, etc. it's all smoke and mirrors. Golin is all fake PR so it's never surprising when the agency pushes these things out with a timely town hall meeting and press releases. Sadly, in a few weeks, it will all be forgotten and management will move on to the next hot button issue. For example: A company with 3 male, while CEOs put out Have Her Back only to try to avoid negative PR. Did they actually change anything at the top? Nope. Still 3 dudes up there. Unfortunately, as with almost all agencies, they're losing money at an insane rate. Despite clients cutting back, over service is rampant in all aspects of Golin and all regions. Resources as well as people are scarce and you'll rarely take a relaxing vacation without an "emergency" call or text. These wouldn't be an emergency if Golin didn't over service and managed client expectations.

16 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0

Meh

Nov 8, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits like unlimited time off and once a week work remote days (as well as flexibility when needed), generally fun and pleasant coworkers, big name clients to bolster your resume and basic PR skills to set up your career

Cons

Where does one begin. Many of the recent negative reviews on here are spot on. Unfortunately, everything is super top heavy, with senior leadership not always the best and brightest or willing (or capable) to lend a hand. The office's fate is in a constant state of flux due to an inability to retain clients and an ever shifting pool of employees. This year saw a second round of layoffs with the threat of more always looming. Positions are open for months at end and the promise that new staff are coming only for the position to never be filled and the work dumped on your shoulders. There's also the case of the MD... nice person but has a leader ever exhibited a complete lack of charisma? There is no emotion or connection to any employees but her favorites, those that she brought in from past agencies and have given carte blanche to treat people however they feel. And at what point does seeing client after client leave, staff exodus after staff exodus, with new business barely trickling in, does the blame fall on her shoulders? It’s harsh to say but when an office is failing you can only point the blame at others for so long. Then there's the actual work being done. Nothing too exciting here. Unfortunately, there is just no investment in innovative work. We always hear about the amazing work being done in other offices and yet everything in LA is so stale and tired. Sure there are big clients but everything is so drab and unimpressive. As as much as they try to position themselves as an integrated marketing agency that can do all these great things, somehow the work constantly falls back on traditional PR/media relations. In terms of pay, good luck. Negotiate upfront as much as you can because once you’re locked in growth is so stagnant it’s absurd. Finally, there's the magic that is G4 -- one of the dumbest concepts ever. Why would you silo your employees into specific communities that have one skill? Why would you do that to your junior employees? Why would you want to create a fleet of talent that don't have the total PR experience? If you're a connector (media relations) you're focus is on pitching alone. Sure, if that's your passion that's nice. But sooner or later you should know how to speak to clients or manage a budget or plan a program. This seems to be completely lost on the executive leadership at Golin and something that they actually congratulate themselves on. Imagine, patting yourself on the back because your entire backbone of staff (those associates and managers that do all the execution) cannot flex to other areas because they literally are unable to get that experience. Who does that make sense to?

12 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Digital Experience in NY Office

Jul 5, 2016 - Digital Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty office space, a fancy, well-known name to put on your resume, good midtown location with lunch options everywhere, decent benefits

Cons

If you're looking for a social media/digital job at the NYC office, I would NOT recommend it. The NYC digital practice is essentially one more "to have" and a thing to sell in new business pitches, but what you're really doing is supporting any PR efforts. There's no creativity or innovative ideas coming out of the NY social team. If you're not supporting the NY PR teams, you're essentially back up for Chicago's and Dallas' more developed digital teams, doing grunt work. Additionally, you'd have to work with the PR teams directly, who think they know social but don't. All social strategies are based around PR and there are no social stand-alone clients. They're too cheap to invest in the proper tools and resources necessary for quality social media work (e.g., R&I tools, social-specific content creation, etc.). The social-only clients we have had in the past lasted less than a year because most other agencies would do it better. Leadership is minimal and the team is tiny, so you'll be expected to do multiple people's work. You are just a dollar sign to the office and are expected to work late hours regularly. There is a HUGE turnover rate in the office and the digital team specifically has had 100% turnover rate since I last worked there. Salaries are low and raises are insulting and don't meet cost-of-living increases. Be expected to have no life or suck up to senior leadership if you're looking to move up. Though even the good people don't get the rewards they deserve, just a shout-out in meetings and a useless "fancy" chair to sit in for the month. Morale at the office is low and you'll meet a lot of disgruntled employees and senior leaders who are in cushy positions and treat the junior people as idiots.

7 people found this review helpful