Gongos Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Camille Nicita

"Gongos - Research Coordinator"

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Gongos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great overall culture and work environment. The people that work at Gongos make every day collaborative and enjoyable! Overall, it is a great experience and I feel valued as an employee.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to maintain a work-life balance. Although Gongos offers flextime to its employees, often times working late is a must in order to cater to project managers and their schedules.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone on a project/ team knows and respects their team members' schedules. This way, it will allow people to work and collaborate productively while not sacrificing personal lives.

"Not for everyone culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Gongos full-time

Pros

You can find a good group of people to be in the trenches together.
    Transparency from upper management regarding business decisions and financials.
    Management cares and is understanding of outside of work situations.

Cons

On the low end of salary ranges.
    There isn't a clear career path for everyone.
    A lot of social pressure to fit in and participate in company events and work long hours because others are, even if you are not busy.
    Situations are addressed passive aggressively often.

Apr 26, 2016 – CEO

Yes, part of our culture is empowering individuals to co-create their career paths to align with their strengths - as well as our company’s. We take company health to heart and have a lot of people ... More

"Great company culture, but be prepared to work a ton for very little tangible rewards."

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Gongos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, you feel 'cared' about. Small company feel (since it's a small company!) and it's great you have one day a week to work from home once you've been at the company a year.

Cons

Work ridiculous hours, expected to stick to project timelines that are sometimes unmanageable when dealing with multiple concurrent projects.

Advice to Management

Put less emphasis on hiring senior level employees and hire research managers and coordinators who are expected to do the bulk of the work.

Apr 21, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions on recruitment and hiring. Can you please be more specific on the “tangible rewards” you are looking for? We are always looking to improve and we’d love to ... More

"Grasp this opportunity."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Gongos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture at Gongos is unmatched and most people tend to stay for a very long time. You will make friends. Leadership treats hiring as a serious commitment and you are likely to work directly underneath somebody who cares about your career development.

Cons

There is better pay out there, even in metro Detroit. You are going to work long hours sometimes.

Advice to Management

Don't let go of your culture. Guard it with frantic jealousy. If your strategy fails in any way to preserve it, abandon your strategy and convene to form a new one.

Oct 23, 2014 – CEO

Our culture is crucial and a key to our overall success. It’s at the forefront of our long term vision and makes us uniquely Gongos. Thank you for your feedback!

5. "Smart People Work Here"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Gongos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely Passionate people who will help you succeed in the workforce right after graduating college.

Cons

Some people are extremely intense and force you to work crazy hours.

Advice to Management

If you sense someone is unhappy on their current team... work to make team changes prior to them putting in their 2 weeks. Sometimes it is just too late to stay.

Oct 23, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for the compliment! We want to keep our smart people here and your input is invaluable for that.

6. "Very happy here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Gongos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overwhelmingly its the people. Super smart but really collaborative. Truly nice people to spend every day with.

Cons

Not at the top of the pay scale as far as MR vendor side goes. If you are looking to make a lot of money, this is probably not the place for you. But....everything has its tradeoffs - i choose culture and atmosphere.

Advice to Management

As the company grows bigger it will be a challenge to maintain culture while necessarily adapting larger company policies

Dec 4, 2013 – Director of HR

Thank you for your response! We like the people here too!

"Great place to start out"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator

Pros

Great hands-on experience, good people, good exposure to Fortune 500 companies, the perks that they offer are sometimes really great -- half court basketball, ping pong, etc.

Cons

Sometimes longer work hours, but there are things which compensate for these as well -- such as a two week shutdown between Dec 25 and Jan 1.

"Great for people fresh out of university"

Pros

Everyone is nice, sometimes almost too nice. They will drop what they are doing and help you, even if they don't have the time.
    This is a great place to work when you're fresh out of university and are looking for experience to pad your resume. You get some wonderful, fresh perspectives; not only about to do your job, how to collaborate, but how the politics of a workplace are in play.
    The health benefits are great, at a good price.
    Upper management tries hard to be transparent. They are happy to answer any questions you have, even if sometimes they don't give direct answers.
    Your "telework day" after a year is great, but some teams act like its a "free day", and act like you're not working just as hard as you would when you're in the office. So there is still some stigma there, that they are working to overcome.
    The vacation days/PTO accumulation is great. The days off in the summer are fantastic. And everyone loves holiday shutdown. The in-gongos parties we have are a nice way to get everyone together for some food and laughs in the middle of the day to relax. The tiger-game outing is one of my favorite get-togethers that we have.
    They do a lot of charity work, which is fantastic for the community - and allows staff to get in on the action.
    Camille (the CEO) takes the time to meet with every new person, and knows everyone's name - which I think is amazing, because I can't even do that.

Cons

Because everyone is "too nice" you have this environment where one person feels they can't say "No" to someone else. There is this pressure of always needing to say "Yes". When you might not have the time, or when it cuts into your own work-life-balance.
    The salary is on the lower end of the scale for all departments.
    Their flex policy is a joke that no one feels comfortable following, because other co-workers judge you.
    When you have a career vision, that is a little out of the box, they will just tell you "we don't have room for that here." So you have to grow into exactly what they want, or find a new job. Which is what most people do.
    Upper level management - when they oversee a pod, are completely disconnected. They are too busy doing other things to see what is really going on. They really need management that is "in the trenches" with their team, then a manager above that. Too much disconnect.

Bottom Line: Work-life-balance is just something that gets brushed aside. Pressure from other co-workers, pressure from deadlines, pressure from management. You end up working 43-47 hours every week for crappy flex, lower end of the pay scale, managers who are disconnected from their teams and don't make the effort to keep the great staff they have.

Advice to Management

The values of the company are great, but people sacrifice their own work life balance to honor them. It's drilled in peoples heads we have this culture of being "so nice", that telling someone "I don't have time, can you do it on your own?" is considered rude - where in other companies its "taking ownership of your won work." Some people take advantage of the "nice culture" at Gongos, and pawn off a lot of their own work on other people, so they don't need to do it.
    It's a wonderful idea, but it's gotten a bit out of hand.

Aug 25, 2016 – Sr. Director, People Engagement

“Too nice” – that’s an interesting byproduct, but we think we get what you mean. There is a delicate balance between empowering employees to work smart and be supportive, and we certainly hope we’re ... More

"Research Manager"

I have been working at Gongos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and young culture - there's always something exciting going on, cool perks, and great people to work with. It's a great company to start a career in marketing research with in order to learn the ins and outs of quantitative and qualitative research. Additionally, Gongos is very forward-thinking so it is fun to be apart of such an innovative company.

Cons

While Gongos prides itself on being a cool place to work and offering exciting employee perks, for many there is not a work-life balance. We work long days and it is often times very high stress, as we work very hard to keep our clients happy. Additionally, there is always tons of change going on within the company, I guess this can be both good and bad depending on how apt you are to change.

Advice to Management

I would like to see less change overall. Additionally, ensure all employees find a work-life balance.

"Flexible and motivating work environment"

I have been working at Gongos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I truly enjoy working at Gongos every day. It is a fast-paced, innovative, motivating and flexible work environment. Gongos truly values their employees and it shows. From the "leading from any chair" initiative that helps empower even the newest employees to have a voice and opinion, to our monthly perks and parties. There is always something fun and exciting going on in the Gongos environment.

Cons

The biggest challenge I see is to stop working. We are all very hard workers and we can find it challenging to say "no" to both our clients and coworkers. Finding a balance to say "Yes, but..." can be our greatest challenge.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making us so proud to be a part of the Gongos family!