Good Samaritan Society Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Good Samaritan Society President and CEO Shawn Terlson
Shawn Terlson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with - although often there was a disconnect amongst teams leading to discord and role confusion (in 5 reviews)

• Recent upgrades included full kitchen & dining areas in each hall, for the convenience of residents and families (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not supported by management (in 3 reviews)

• short staffed for the level of patient care (in 2 reviews)

1. "Eye opening experience"

I worked at Good Samaritan Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the residents and caring for them. I also got as much overtime as I wanted. There was always something to do, never bored.

Cons

Employees overworked, lack of ambitious employees, uneven amount of work distributed among employees, awarded for being a great employee with additional work and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Haven't worked there for two years so I don't know the current management.

2. "Cna"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selby, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selby, SD

I have been working at Good Samaritan Society part-time (More than a year)

Pros

in Gods Love everyone is someone

Cons

Poor Management and Admin. Arrogant office staff and lots of Traveling staff that don't care.

Advice to Management

Hire all new Upper Management

3. "Revolving Door Management"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Nurse in Prescott, AZ
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Nurse in Prescott, AZ

I worked at Good Samaritan Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, beautiful facility,okay benefits. Enough high quality supplies to take good care of patients. Average rate of pay.

Cons

. They were not able to keep good management personnel, the employees that did stay were often rude and arrogant. The management decided to use me as a CNA instead of an LPN. Then they decided to remove me from the facility I was hired to work and assigned me to a home health job. I was never consulted about any of these management decisions. It's a mess.

Advice to Management

Nothing will help.

"Staff cares, management does not."

Current Employee - Certified Medication Aide
    Current Employee - Certified Medication Aide

I have been working at Good Samaritan Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents and showing God's love through our care and service. The mission statement is what drew me in.

Cons

Not enough time allowed to spend with residents one-on-one. Too many other delegates tasks such cleaning rooms, serving food, washing dishes, laundry, leading activities, Not enough time to do essential duties such as monitoring patients and passing medications. Really Low pay for all we do. no breaks beside 30 mins to eat. Management doesn't care.

Advice to Management

Raise our pay to motivate your staff to stay! Live up to your motto. Have a nurse working on the weekends for crisis situations. Hire your own dishwasher, housekeeper and activities person. Residents get bored. Help us medication aids focus on passing meds in a safe and consistent way without being rushed. Pay is a decent living wage. We know nuch residents pay and deserve to be compensated. It really does affect the residents as they count on us around the clock. We are the closest people to th and they rely on seeing the same smiling faces they've come to know.

5. "Home health"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Good Samaritan Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, some local home health patients

Cons

Continuously working from home, hours vary and not consistent, not enough training on computer documentation required for job.

6. "R.N.staff nurse, night shift,"

Former Employee - R N Staff Nurse in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - R N Staff Nurse in Davenport, IA

I worked at Good Samaritan Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In Christ's Love, Everyone is Someone. Initially, good staffing ratios compared to other facilities. Recent upgrades included full kitchen & dining areas in each hall, for the convenience of residents and families. New hospice 2 room suites for residents and families.

Cons

Lower and lower staffing reflecting the "new reality", meaning less nurse face time spent with residents, and more time in charting as more tasks are delegated to floor nurses. Frustrating, less than user friendly EMR systems, clearly designed without any nurse consultation, making an already hard job, much more difficult. Over my years there, it became less of a friendly nursing home, to almost a hospital-like environment. More acutely ill residents, with more challenging co-morbidities accepted without increasing or reorganizing already stretched staff.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR STAFF! Help us care for real people. BE PROACTIVE! Anticipate problems, and PREVENT them. Don't go nuclear after the fact.

7. "Daitery aide"

I worked at Good Samaritan Society part-time

Pros

Good environment to worry in

Cons

They always Understaffed, and the employees end up doing more work

8. "Horrible upper management"

Current Employee - Lead Coook in New Hope, MN
    Current Employee - Lead Coook in New Hope, MN

I have been working at Good Samaritan Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The residents were great to be around

Cons

No backing once so ever from upper management

Advice to Management

Have the backs of your supervisors they work usually one on one with the staff. So they know way more than u.

9. "Great company, doing good work; taking care of people in need"

Pros

Work has great value, opportunity to help seniors. Lots of opportunities to be mobile as company has many sites around country. In MN we have education scholarships to help Kay for secondary education

Cons

Application process is cumbersome, but new talent management system is on its way, which will be a tremendous help. Large company, slow to make decisions sometimes

10. "CNA"

I have been working at Good Samaritan Society part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Homey feeling, caring workers, CLEAN

Cons

Some aides should work in a factory and not around people, let alone elderly people

Advice to Management

Quit delegating, and start working !! Stop trying to run a job that you've never performed yourself