Good Shepherd Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sr. Paulette LoMonaco

Pros
  • Good employers, nice people, good environment employer accommodates needs (in 5 reviews)

• They provide Flexible schedule, you do your own schedule, you work at your own pace (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor leadership and lack of support for staff (in 3 reviews)

• Like many non-profits job security is usually tied to government contracts and in order to do your job well, you must put in extra hours (in 2 reviews)

1. "Mail processing"

Former Employee - Mail Processing Clerk in Allentown, NJ
    Former Employee - Mail Processing Clerk in Allentown, NJ

I worked at Good Shepherd Services part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good employers, nice people, good environment employer accommodates needs

Cons

Work hours start at 3am, benefits could improve

Advice to Management

none

2. "Plenty of opportunities to do good work if key management personnel would allow it."

Current Employee - Director in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Good Shepherd Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ground level staff and clients you service can make the job very rewarding. Plenty of opportunities to be apart of things. Professional development trainings are actually pretty good.

Cons

Key level staff. Every job has some but it can be frustrating when administration who has have little to no people skills are tasked to manage or lead divisions and clearly have no idea of what's going on.

3. "none"

Current Employee - Director in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Good Shepherd Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Culture, people, benefits and program

Cons

None, none, none, none and none

5. "Just out of school? No problem."

Current Employee - Advocate Counselor in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Advocate Counselor in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Good Shepherd Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Shepherds take chances on hiring new talent just out of school with competitive compensation. It's a great place to start if you're thinking of a career in the non-profit sector.

Cons

It could be hard to leave. Depending I which program you work at, the professional relationships that you will build along the way will make it extremely difficult to leave when it is time to move on and there will be opportunities because other nonprofits tend to "borrow" talent from Good Shepherd Services.

Advice to Management

Continue the hard work. Sister Paulette LoMonaco is an amazing CEO who looks out not only for the families GSS helps but her employees.

6. "Committed to its mission and employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Good Shepherd Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Shepherd Services is a large, well-run nonprofit that is dedicated to serving NYC youth and treating its employees well. I entered GSS in an entry-level position with very little work experience and was given the encouragement and support to move up in the ranks. This is an organization that rewards you for working hard. I am so inspired by all of the people I work with, who are so passionate and so committed to the mission. I love working at GSS.

Also - Sr. Paulette, the executive director, is an amazing human and one of my biggest role models. She embodies public service at its best and most effective and has proven she will never back down from a fight to improve the lives of NYC's young people and families. Even as an administrative assistant, when I felt like my contributions to the organization were so minimal, she would go out of her way to thank me and let me know I was appreciated. It meant a lot to me.

Cons

My work is very deadline-driven. Can be stressful.

Also, while Good Shepherd Services pays competitively compared to similar nonprofits, I do think the whole industry needs a raise. Obviously GSS has no control over this, but it's disappointing to see the nonprofit world lose so many intelligent, dedicated people who simply cannot afford to work in the industry and choose to go corporate. I know many of the program staff at GSS who work two jobs in direct service just to keep afloat. Leads to staff burnout. Our program staff are some of the most incredible people I've ever met - everyone loses out when we don't pay them enough to be effective in their role.

7. "Awesome Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Good Shepherd Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture. Amazing staff.

Cons

No cons have been experienced

Advice to Management

No advice is needed to management.

"Awakening"

Former Employee - Cook in Halethorpe, MD
    Former Employee - Cook in Halethorpe, MD

I worked at Good Shepherd Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice scenery surrounding the campus

Cons

Employees allowed to obstruct coworkers from performing their duties and then report on problems which they caused out of malice.

Advice to Management

Consider the motives behind the behavior of those who make the behind the scene reports and what part they play in these situations instead of how much time and effort they spend kissing up.

"Management Team is the worst"

Current Employee - Case Planner in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Case Planner in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Good Shepherd Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers are very helpful and supportive. They will guide you through it all if needed.

Cons

You will have to learn everything on your own. There are some very helpful supervisors and there are others that will cover their's before you.

Advice to Management

Be supportive to workers

"Prevention Social Worker"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Bronx, NY

I worked at Good Shepherd Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Case planners are supportive to one another. Inexpensive insurance, includes medical vision dental. Paid time off. Can get LCSW hours, but slowly, since the caseload is max 13 and you usually don't see everybody each week.

Cons

Nobody stays too long. Pay is low and everybody seems reluctant to be here. Your supervisor can just turn on you, without warning. It's hard to get anything out of supervision when you can't trust them. Solutions Based Casework is really not a great model. Workers can write great treatment plans, but SBC expects families to do that which is not realistic, no matter how much we help them

Advice to Management

Pay masters level social workers what we're worth. Give us real opportunities to grow as clinicians, we will rise to the challenge. If you don't do either, you won't attract and keep good workers.

"Unprofessional & Very Dangerous Environment"

Former Employee - Behavioral Aide/Residential Counselor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Behavioral Aide/Residential Counselor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Good Shepherd Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If your passion is to make a difference in young individuals lives, you'll definitely enjoy working with some of the residents.

Cons

It's a very dangerous environment& very unprofessional. It is not supervised or correctly operated any business Manor. Everyday you go to work you'll be lucky if you leave there not seriously injured, due to the no consequence policy that is in effect at this workplace.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management at this facility, is to just shut the the operations of this facility completely down.