GoodLife Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 16, 2019

3.2
GoodLife Fitness CEO David Patchell-Evans
David Patchell-Evans
Pros
  • "free gym membership while employed(in 184 reviews)

• "Friendly atmosphere, free gym, good training in sales and communication(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pressure to sell and long hours(in 65 reviews)

• "Managing a 24hr fitness facility can be overwhelming at times and makes it difficult to have a work/life balance(in 57 reviews)

1. "Fitness Advisor"

Former Employee - Fitness Advisor

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome environment, our GM was incredible so it was a very fun and productive workplace

Cons

Every location has a different GM so other locations may not have the same vibe

Advice to Management

Best job I've ever had!

GoodLife Fitness2017-03-14
  2. "Motivator"

Former Employee - Motivator

I worked at GoodLife Fitness part-time

Pros

Benefits, good health, Seeing the same members, room for growth

Cons

Pay, Some clubs are too strict

GoodLife Fitness2019-10-07
  3. "Excellent culture"

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time

Pros

GoodLife Fitness has an excellent culture with their IT department with great people who embrace collaboration and challenge.

Cons

At the time, the systems and technology being used was very outdated.

GoodLife Fitness2018-12-07

GoodLife Fitness Response

December 10, 2018Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. We have been working hard to improve our systems and technology.

4. "Horrible"

Fitness Advisor in Ontario, CA

I worked at GoodLife Fitness

Pros

Money was okay, but not worth your happiness, time and commitment

Cons

Management and Higher ups need to not be so member focused instead work on making your employees happier

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

GoodLife Fitness2017-10-05

"GoodLife Fitness"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Ontario, CA

I have been working at GoodLife Fitness full-time

Pros

Opportunity for growth, people, culture, core values, purpose.

Cons

Many roles can be high-stress, long hours.

GoodLife Fitness2016-09-25
  6. "good experience"

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time

Pros

good experience to grow your career

Cons

not a long term job

GoodLife Fitness2016-04-06
  7. "Fitness Advisor (Sales)"

I worked at GoodLife Fitness

Pros

Great commission, they teach sales techniques from the ground up. Encouraging others to live a more active life.

Cons

Administration can be unprofessional when it comes to sales commission. They will find loopholes to drop the amount you earned.

Advice to Management

Strong leaders mean a strong sales team. Pressure on team can be overwhelming at times and leaders need to be able to understand the strengths and weaknesses of their team and work around that.

GoodLife Fitness2015-10-22

"Unfair"

I worked at GoodLife Fitness

Pros

Free gym membership, flexible work horus

Cons

Upper Management are all friends, you never feel comfortable going to upper management with issues regarding you boss because they are all best friends, all management (especially in Home Office roles) talk crap about everyone, are very judgmental and are always the first to blame you when pressured from other managers. I never felt like I was supported and overall had a very stressful experience with GoodLife. Also... their pay is a JOKE.

Advice to Management

Grow up..

GoodLife Fitness2015-02-23
  9. "Great company"

Current Employee - General Manager in Toronto, OH

I have been working at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work enviroment , great members, good pay if you are ready to work and respect your dueties and responsibilities. Basically, everyone wants to help you and make sure you are happy at work every day.

Cons

Benefits are average , you can always ask for time off if needed due to medical, vacation or family. Be prepared for long hours, clear expectations and clear goals. IF you hit all of the above you will be recognized and noticed . Easy to move up if you have work ethics .

Advice to Management

Focus more on customer satisfaction, improve benefits plans for associates, make more flexible vacation system

GoodLife Fitness2014-07-25

"Not a place to work if you have any morals or personal code of ethics"

I worked at GoodLife Fitness

Pros

The money is there to be earned...unfortunately the price you pay to earn that money is not worth the return. Losing your soul in exchange for a higher end annual salary is too much. I did make a couple of friends that I am in contact with There are a few truly wonderful people who work for GL

Cons

See above Long hours that are illegal to actually be working Many (not all) of the senior leadership team do not come close to practicing what they preach Absolutely poor company culture that has been given so many make-overs in a losing attempt to manipulate the 10000+ employees into believing that company culture is a vital priority Trust NO ONE because those you believe to be on your side willing to support you... are no where to be found when you need them The "what have you done for me lately" motto is alive and well within this company Honestly...there are just too many more "cons" and critically negative aspects of this company that just sicken me to even continue to write...

Advice to Management

Unfortunately these words will ultimately fall on deaf ears and blind eyes. A pretend culture with a foundation built on relationships. This company, and in particular, it's senior leadership team (Directors, VP's, CFO, COO, CEO) attempt to have its employees believe that they care. The funny yet truly sad thing is that this senior team has mastered the art of manipulation leading many great people down a road... paved with broken promises, unclear expectations, emotionally damaging stress levels, personal lives with friends and family strained and sometimes damaged, and you mind and sadly your heart left to rot once they are done with you and have moved on to the next person. Although a colourful way to describe things, the previous statement is true. If senior management (now directed at CEO & COO) truly care and truly want what's best for those who work within the organization then please listen and hear my message. 30+ years is something to be proud of. CEO, you've done an incredible job going from nothing to something and that is an accomplishment that deserves high praise and regard. COO, at one time the backbone of the company...the heart of the machine. Truly one of the best individuals within the Fitness Industry...you deserve high praise as well. So...here it is...plain and simple...just actually CARE about the people who give their heart and soul to you. Your employees give those two things not to this company...they trust both CEO & COO with their heart and soul. It's your responsibility to handle that with the utmost care. Just give a care about these people. You can't keep doing what you do. Your insincere gestures and fake love is passed down to those under you and they in turn do the same. I care enough to tell you this "secret" in hopes that you can turn things around and become a great place to work...you are so far from even entering into the discussion of great. Don't pass the blame on to others. Don't become defensive and dismiss me as a disgruntled former employee. I'm so far beyond that...remember...JUST CARE

GoodLife Fitness2014-08-02