Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Reviews

Updated October 30, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Co-Chairman and Creative Directors Jeff Goodby & Rich Silverstein
Jeff Goodby & Rich Silverstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Goodby's reputation is deserved in that it has extremely smart people" (in 8 reviews)

• "There are some amazing and talented people in the building across all departments" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Burnout is real; hard to manage work-life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "long hours and not a lot of fun" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time

Pros

The people who work at this company are the best

Cons

Burnout is real; hard to manage work-life balance

2. "Be prepared for madness!"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons and tons of employee hangouts and events going on throughout each month. Leadership is nonexistent so you have plenty of opportunities to do what you want. Worklife balance is real if you work outside of the Account Managment group. The work on 2-3 accounts is really exciting to be a part of and to see the daily happenings.

Cons

Leadership is missing from the top down. The agency is inspired by their founders who want to push the envelope and do things that they want to do. Just assume that each "manager" is not really a manager outside of their title. Burnout is real and is expected for every department. Account Management relies on hiring recent college grads and paying them close to nothing. HR is missing and can never be found. The people they have leading the HR department are former account managers. Enough said. Founders are liberal and push their agenda on a daily basis. Be afraid if you have an opposing point of view.

Advice to Management

Advice to Omnicom: Take a look at the leadership of GS&P and do a scrub down. The entire agency needs help to be sustainable. They operate like a mom and pop agency despite being around since the 70's. Time for a change.

3. "Assistant Account Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best agency. This place is family. I've made friends for life and made work I'm proud of. GS&P truly hires one of a kind peeps.

Cons

- Managers aren't trained, which makes for poor mentorship and anxious managers. And angry creatives!!
    - Teams must bend backwards for high-paying clients at the expense of employees. It's not just about working nights and weekends. It's about being treated like a slave.
    - Leadership doesn't care about your career path/growth unless you fight super hard to get what you want (or get lucky with an amazing empathetic boss)
    - Account directors who do well are ones who are very aggressive and loud - introverts in the account department will have an extremely hard time being successful because there's no talking over louder members.
    - Diversity is growing but sexism is still very real here. Not in all departments/client teams but in some.
    - AAMs are not treated very well on certain accounts but are well loved on others. If interviewing make sure that you ask about culture on the specific account you're on.

Advice to Management

Train your account managers/directors to manage and the whole process will get a LOT better

4. "Inspiring, creative, dynamic, supportive environment"

I have been working at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time

Pros

The people are great. Super supportive and willing to help. The environment is relaxed but so dynamic - I never know what kinds of work I'll see when I am walking the halls - there is always something new being created. There is an excitement about the place - anything is possible and as a team we can accomplish anything. There are always new things to learn and new ways to approach our job and I like that it's an environment that supports trying new things and allows for growth. I think that's why people stay for so long.

Cons

The same creative energy that makes it so dynamic as a work environment can make it somewhat frustrating. It's a somewhat dysfunctional, chaotic environment. If you are used to a highly organized, process driven place - GSP is probably not the place for you.

5. "Toxic Culture"

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time

Pros

Read the others on this thread.

Cons

Nastiness is often rewarded and celebrated.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time

Pros

Some of the smartest/coolest people you’ll ever meet

Cons

The hours are pretty tough

7. "High integrity leadership -- never want to leave"

I have been working at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time

Pros

Feels like family and everyone is supportive of each other. From Jeff Goodby to the folks in the mailroom. If you have a problem, the partners are on it to solve it and push the client. You always feel like everyone is fighting for the best work and the partners foster an atmosphere of transparency and integrity. Never been happier.

Cons

The place has won a ton of new business which of course makes staffing hard. People work long hours but since the people are so kind and hilarious it rarely feels like work. Plus there are the cutest dogs in the world running around at all times.

Advice to Management

Keep being your honest, supportive and lovable selves.

8. "This place is family"

I have been working at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time

Pros

Co-workers, culture, inspiring work, dogs everywhere... I love going to work every day.

Cons

I find that the work/life balance requires more work and less life.

9. "Senior Editor"

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time

Pros

You work with some of the most creative talent around. They source talent from all over.

Cons

You will work long hours.

Advice to Management

keep sourcing talent from different disciplines than just Advertising

10. "Confused"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Goodby's reputation is deserved in that it has extremely smart people. It also has a great work environment - enough places/ways to collaborate and space to put your head down.

Cons

Getting any great digital work done and being able to hold on to accounts seem to be challenges