Goodman Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 14, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charles A. Carroll

Pros
  • Good pay, decent people, lots of overtime during peak season (in 13 reviews)

• Goodman manufacturing is a great company to work for with a positive and friendly work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management likes to read a lot of books and preach that they know what they are doing while being totally disconnected from the actual day to day (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours during the peak season (in 5 reviews)

1. "CSR"

Former Employee - Csr1 in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Austin, TX

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Busy ensures job stability, flexible with time off if you have kids, good PTO

Cons

Have tried to advance to next level, even to different locations and am constantly looked over and people with less experience and knowledge or outside people get the job. I was an HVAC tech for 10 years and know the in and out of the AC world. It is frustrating to get looked over and management cannot explain why.

Advice to Management

It's a managers "club". If you have ever had a bad day, trust me, whoever is in charge of your promotion, will hinder you, even if its lateral, will discuss it with other managers. Not sure I will continue with Goodman. I may try one more opportunity to advance and if nothing, I will look for another distributor, as I stated... I know the business, but the lack of appreciation is frustrating.

2. "Not a bad company to work for if it's your line of work if it isn't you'll probably hate it."

Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall great place to learn hands on techniques and methods used in the manufacturing industry. Everyone is quite knowledgeable and it shows. Weekly pay.

Cons

So many. The best way I can describe the facility its self is a sweat shop. Extremely hot (you would think an AC manufacturing company would have something for that but nope), long hours (I was told to come from 5-3 while other interns came at about 7 or so), no work-life balance, then my "mentor" told me only one 30 minute break and two 15 min breaks. Everyone there is a butt hole more or less to some degree. The person who got me the position told me it would be intern to hire I received an email from corestaff telling me when my last day was the day before out of nowhere. I asked him about it via email all he tells me is that they may have something for me next summer term. I would probably only recommend this job to people who are looking to work unnecessarily hard with no questions asked.

Advice to Management

For the amount of money I can imagine this company makes the way the employees are treated and the conditions are below par in my opinion.

"Management"

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy to just slide by, no real accountability, I think you would have to commit capital murder for them to actually fire you.

Cons

Very petty management, a lot of promote who you like versus who deserves it, quite a good ol' boy network. Upper management likes to read a lot of books and preach that they know what they are doing while being totally disconnected from the actual day to day. No real attention paid to professional development of the employees.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people like people and not objects

"Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Goodman Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable position. Decent compensation. Some opportunities for growth

Cons

Excessive power concentration, no value given to employees. moving with in departments highly discouraged. no transparency of any sorts.

"It pays rent and bills"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Goodman Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Okay money to pay the rent and bills when everywhere else in Houston is suffering with low oil price
    - Very flexible working hour, overtime is not usual.
    - Moving to a brand new and magnificent campus, 40 miles from Houston

Cons

- Organizational structure is not clear at all. People don't help other department and don't make decision based on the best interests of the company.
    - There is some culture impact when the parent company, Daikin, is taking deeper and deeper control over the whole organization.
    - Only give bonus for director level or higher; yearly PTO isn't very good, either, and HR policy does not allow to carry unused PTO over to the next year.

"Vindictive and petty middle managers"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Technically the job is great. I loved what I did. B2B sales.

Cons

Definitely will get screwed on pay. The game is as such. Good commissions year one. Year two cut commissions by half and raise budget by 20-30%. Every year. You will have to work three times as hard to even come close to making same amount previous year. Seen guys get commissions at 0.0075%. They talk big talk on new business bonus but watch fine print. I know other sales guys in regions outside the western division that had good managers and didn't get messed with on commissions but if you are west of Mississippi you will be messed with without fail.

Advice to Management

Your turnover sucks. You churn through sales staff every two years because of the "what have you done for me today" attitude.

"Management is hit or miss"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Goodman Manufacturing (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, holidays and weekends off. Lots of overtime in the summer if you need it.

Cons

Moving all jobs to Waller TX in the next few years. Old management was decent but they have either been promoted up or moved on, most of the new management are not worth working for. Lots of favortism with the new management. The healthcare plan is ok, but overpriced for what you get.

Advice to Management

Remember that the company started off as a family business and most of the long term employees have that family mentality, treat your employees with respect and remember their family comes first.

8. "Horrible morale environment in southern California"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, 401k, pto

Cons

Southern California management team manages by intimidation and bullying. HR does nothing to help the employees in this process but tell the managers what employees say and the intimidation starts. The turn over rate for employees is ridiculous, and one would think corporate would take notice and try to fix the issue instead of letting good people that care about the company get treated like they do by a management team that had been plagued with numerous complaints and law suits.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be team players and really care about employees.

"Goodman"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, TN

Pros

Money is good. Hours aren't bad 6-2:30, so you still have a lot of time in the day. If you work in any lab the job is good. 13 paid holidays.

Cons

HR. This is a points system plant and they don't keep up with it at all. You have to make appointments to see them. That's ridiculous. I have never seen a plant where you had to make appointments after hours to see someone in the front office. Payroll clerk is about the only useful person in the office. Work on the lines can be very difficult because there is no training by the supervisors. The supervisors is another area that is a con. Plant closing.

Advice to Management

You need to train your people better. You need to communicate, because we all know that no one does.

"Goodman mfg."

I have been working at Goodman Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Large company based in U.S. Decent pay.

Cons

Lack of communication between departments. Management expects to be respected but fails epically to give respect. Blatant examples of favoritism amongst staff. Attitude towards and treatment of non-managerial employees does not do much for employee morale. Very stressful working environment.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation and respect to the "little people" who are the foundation of the company.