Goodrich Reviews in Chula Vista, CA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Operations Specialist"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Goodrich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great money, great benefits, lots of overtime and great long term employment. Very interesting work, but very detailed and demanding.

Cons

They don't handle greivences very well and middle management leaves alot to be desired. I was discriminated against so badly that I felt I had to quit.

2. "Was the best of the nacelle subcontractors"

Former Employee - Engineer in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Goodrich full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

took care of employees and seemed to care

Cons

Goodrich Sold out to UTC, ending the possibility for a future at this site

Advice to Management

Look to Google and modern day companies on how you need to act , retain young talent and old talent.
    East coast is not necessarily the Right coast.

3. "Educational"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chula Vista, CA

Pros

The company ran by the lean manufacturing culture. I learned a lot about continuous improvement and the different workflows the company had within their departments.

Cons

They were bought out by UTC and I heard from there their culture at some extent was diminishing.

Advice to Management

Provide better guidance on new employees.

4. "Great Benefits! Too many layers of middle management"

Former Employee - Financial Administrator II in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Administrator II in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Goodrich full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, annual bonus, employee stock purchase plan, tuition reimbursement, 9/80 work schedule

Cons

Too many middle managements and involved in lean manufacturing too much

Advice to Management

None

5. "Contract stress analyst for thrust reverse bond composite bond assembly."

Former Contractor - Composite Stress Engineer in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Contractor - Composite Stress Engineer in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Goodrich as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, people, type of work.

Cons

Big layoff due to new owner UTC.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the red dot green dot work incentive scheme on the wall.

"A great place to work for 5 years"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Goodrich full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work atmosphere with emphasis on continuous improvement, and a family friendly philosophy.

Cons

Large manufacturing company that changes slowly
    A lot of dead weight in certain areas due to good-ole-boy relationships.

7. "Back in the 80s a real "good ol' boy company.""

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Goodrich full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid very well, good medical. I was there from 1981 to 1984 so maybe this review isn't relevant. Back then planners were recently upgraded to manufacturing engineers. Most companies wouldn't give that title without an actual engineering degree. I think that's one reason they had to reorganize. Very few salaried people were let go unless they were real screwups. I'm sure with Goodrich it's a very different company now.

Cons

Too many non-professionals in managenment. Like it said on the bathroom stall wall "don't ever say the word 'change' ", lol! We had this paperwork system back then so complicated the even the people who had been there 40 years had a hard time understanding it! One of the biggest gripe back then is they wouldn't promote from within. I wonder if that's changed.

"A Good Company With An Uncertain Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Goodrich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prior to the acquisition by United Technologies in July 2012 Goodrich was a strong, profitable company planning for continued growth. Expanding business combined with positions opening up as retiring employees age out implied some good opportunities for people coming in.

Mutual respect among employees is a core company value and Goodrich dedicates a lot of resources to training and supporting employee development. Despite a large management structure communication between levels is usually pretty open.

Employees have the opportunity to interact with some very bright people from all over the world. Some roles involve exposure to broad areas of a complex, world-wide engineering and manufacturing business. This is a great place to observe, learn, and tackle some challenging problems.

Compensation and benefits are good (not great). The office environment is relaxed and the company is generally very flexible about scheduling and personal time. 40-hour work weeks are the norm, not a fantasy. Goodrich lives up to its talk about wellness and work-life balance.

Cons

This is a big, old company with some big, old company habits and politics. The average employee age is in the late 40s or early 50s and many people have spent their entire decades-long careers with Goodrich. That speaks well to employee satisfaction but also poses a risk of institutional knowledge loss as older employees start to retire, and means that a lot of people know no other way than the Goodrich way.

The Chula Vista facility is showing its age. Many areas are unsightly and in poor condition.

Interactions with HR are sketchy.

Expectation can be disturbingly low. Under-performing individuals can hang on to employment indefinitely and are shuffled around rather than managed out. Politics are a minefield for the uninitiated and disputes can go back for years (so anyone with under 10 years of service should probably consider themselves uninitiated).

Continuous Improvement has taken on a quasi-religious status complete with clergy, incantations, and dogma. The CI practice is robust in the manufacturing context but shoe-horned awkwardly into the office. The dedication to improvement and efficiency is inspiring and the tools themselves are great, but the way the CI office mandates their application does not always fit and is prone to causing busy-work while ignoring more fundamental process flaws. Be careful about questioning the CI religion out loud, that could be a career-limiting move.

The big elephant in the room is the acquisition by United Technologies. UTC does NOT have mutual respect as a core company value and the hierarchical, secretive culture clashes with Goodrich's more open and positive environment. Arbitrary reorganizations and demotions have started in some departments and significant layoffs are in sight. People are scrambling to consolidate power and status, morale is terrible, and the lack of good information has the rumor mill running at full speed. While people "on the ground" at Goodrich and our new partner UTC division Hamilton Sundstrand are trying to make the best of a bad situation the overall attitude from UTC Corporate has been callous.

Advice to Management

Employees need good information, sound leadership, and positive treatment to get through the acquisition. People will do the right thing if you support them. Don't gut a strong company to support short-term profit goals.

9. "Interns actually mean things!"

Current Intern - Intern in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Goodrich as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The intern program here was excellent, I actually felt like I was doing something beneficial to the company as a whole and I really felt my opinion mattered.

Cons

They tended to favor students with engineering backgrounds, which I unfortunately lacked.

Advice to Management

Keep the intern program going, even with the buy out and UTAS, I think it's a worthwhile program and really helped peak my interest in your company.

10. "Great Company, Competitive Pay and excellent People Philosophy"

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Specialist in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Specialist in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Goodrich full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No sick days, take what you need when you need it. Mutual Trust and Respect. They really treat employees like adults.
    Aquired by UTC, could increase growth and opportunity potential

Cons

Aquired by UTC, future uncertain.