Goodrich Quality Theaters Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Robert Emmett Goodrich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free movies every week, interesting people (in 19 reviews)

• Great first job for a high schooler (no experience necessary) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay obviously isn't going to be the greatest - this is a minimum wage type of job (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay, minimal hours, poor management (in 5 reviews)

1. "Thumbs up"

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time

Pros

It was a fun place to work

Cons

Shifts were never the same. They want full ability, but only give you 20 hrs a week or less

2. "Goodrich Quality theaters"

I have been working at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time

Pros

Good location, nice people, benefits are good

Cons

Low pay, minimal hours, poor management

Advice to Management

Don’t hire so many employees, be a little more relaxed, help out a lot more, actually manage and don’t just boss people around while you do nothing

3. "No Full-time supervisor positions, company outdated"

Current Employee - Senior Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Shift Manager

I have been working at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love movies and are looking to get experience in management at a young age then this place is for you.

Cons

Young work force, company practices getting outdated, buildings outdated. No training in management past senior shift manager, just hope you interview well for assistant. Low pay for management.

Advice to Management

More to corporate office, make a better management training and review process. Full-time positions for shift managers and pay better.

4. "Worst job ive had held"

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for minors who have no bills

Cons

-no hours
    -mangement always blames staff
    -mistreats customers
    -horribke pay.

Advice to Management

Understand what your employeesand customers say, you are not always in the right.

5. "Set me up for success!"

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time

Pros

I worked at a Goodrich Theater from 2013-2015. It was my first job and challenged me for the first time to work in a team setting, constantly stay busy and work in customer service. I made some wonderful friends and felt appropriately challenged in my position. I was able to obtain many great references from my managers that actually helped me get my first internship. I am very fortunate to have had the experience of working here.

Cons

The schedule changes every week, and there is a lot of turnover when hiring is poor.

Advice to Management

Put more effort into hiring.

6. "Kalamazoo 10 Cashier Review"

Former Employee - Cashier in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time

Pros

This is a very good first job. It's extremely easy to get a job here, and it's a fantastic way to meet new people. After a month of employment, you get a free movie, drink, and popcorn pass every week. You can also get free popcorn and drinks during your shift as long as you don't eat or drink in front of the customers. The work itself can be kind of fun at times, and the management is pretty good about giving you time off if you ask for it. You have three days of training, but everyone was good about helping you out and answering questions if you still needed help.

Cons

If you're a minor, you don't even get minimum wage (you get 80% of it). I had some fantastic managers, but I also had some of the worst ones. They were extremely strict about looking crazy busy at all times, even if everything was stocked and there was nothing left to do. They out too much emphasis on speed over the wellbeing of their workers and would get angry about the littlest things. For examples, I was yelled at by a manager for opening a new roll of pennies when I had three pennies in my container instead of two pennies. I Also, if you REALLY need hours, they are very quick to send people home when things get slow, which was very often.

Advice to Management

To the managers that were less understanding, please stop yelling at your workers over the smallest things or for not being fast enough if they are doing their best. The stand can get VERY hectic during a set, and yelling at everyone excessively just makes things worse and makes everyone look bad. I had many customers comment on my managers' behavior, so it was evident that they were a bit too intense.

"Looking back at my time there"

Former Employee - Housekeeping Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free movies, medical and retirement "packages" available. (better than nothing mentality).

Cons

They have a policy, or more correct to say a tradition, of hiring from within the company as much as possible. This has led to a general lowering of quality of management especially starting in middle management. It is too much of having a person to fill the position, than finding the right person for a position. I found middle management to be more self-serving than serving the business which will always make everyone below them much less efficient and productive. (in my opinion.)

Advice to Management

Take a look at how your management makes decisions, and from time to time, advance a woman to management and respect her once she is there.

8. "Shift Manager"

I have been working at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time

Pros

You get to see movies for free. Also a majority of the people and the memories I have made there are awesome.

Cons

Sometimes the theater can be sexist. The men get away with a lot more than the women do. Managers might have different ideas about things, so procedures can get confusing.

Advice to Management

Be on the same page as one another, expect the same out of every staffer. Dont pick favorites.

9. "Definitely not a career..."

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great raises (up to wage caps). Good co-workers. Mostly smaller theaters so it is much more of a personal environment.

Cons

As a part-time worker, can only work a max 29.75 hours a week. Wage cap for Shift Managers is at 11.14/hr with no chance to go over that. Regular staff is a lot less. One free movie a week is a joke, many other theater companies offer unlimited as long as you are not working. Upper management and corporate employees are completely out of touch and generally brainless. 401(k) match is small compared to other companies (match 15% of whatever you put in).

Advice to Management

Try to get more input from your employees on the front line and do your best to make them happy. A happy staff will only help and further your business.

10. "Best High School Job ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, IN

I have been working at Goodrich Quality Theaters (More than a year)

Pros

Got to work with fun people, received a fee movie a week, saw a bunch of different people from the community.

Cons

not a job you're looking for if you want to make a ton of money.