Goodway Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The ability to work from home does wonders for work-life balance (in 58 reviews)

• The company believes in work/life balance and working from home is a great perk (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Some people find working from home difficult (in 22 reviews)

• They are going through some major growing pains right now (in 9 reviews)

"Keeping it in Perspective"

I have been working at Goodway Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After a rough last quarter, Goodway is still a great place to work. I'm grateful for the friendships I've made here and the work experience I've gained. With every decision, I do believe that management is trying to do what's best for the employees as a whole. Also, I love that the company is introducing new training programs to help with learning, growth, and development at all levels. No company is ever "perfect", but I do believe this is the best company I've worked for both big and small.

Cons

Sometimes we move really fast and end up doing more work in the end. It's okay to slow down occasionally!

Jan 18, 2018 – Employee Enablement Manager

Thank you for taking time to write this review and for your honest perspective. We learned a lot over the past quarter and are using what we learned to set ourselves up for a great year.
    Thanks... More

"So far so good!"

I have been working at Goodway Group full-time

Pros

Work from home.
    A lot of knowledge, education, resources, research - Goodway knows what they are doing when it comes to digital and how to effectively run a company.
    High expectations, and focus on excellence (this company is not for slackers)
    Never had a job where managers truly care and are invested in employee growth like this. Goodway sets the bar high.
    The top execs know and support everyone in the company.
    Professionalism, high level of respect and positive culture.

Cons

Information overload for new hires.

Though it is work from home, can end up working long hours due to the nature of the job.

Advice to Management

Great management! Tech moves fast and in larger cities, there is a lot of competition from new technology companies, so let's keep innovating and being leaders in the space.

Apr 27, 2018 – Employee Enablement Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! You are correct about everything you said - we have very smart, dedicated people working here. We have leaders who are engaged and are accessible... More

"We're Transitioning and Growing"

I have been working at Goodway Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Basic pros: good health benefits, work from home and work life integration/balance, helpful and great coworkers (in my experience, though this may depend on dept.)

The growth has been exciting, but we all know it came with its major pains and issues as well, not including the RIF last year. So much of an individual contributors experience relies on if they were lucky enough to be on a team with a decent manager or not. I'm glad to see that GW is rolling out the training for our supervisors and managers, because I agree with others that many of them were either promoted just so they wouldn't leave the company even if they weren't suited for that role, or were woefully underprepared to take on managing and growing a team to everyone's detriment.

I've had multiple managers and it can really make or break your job experience here, especially in the virtual environment. The pro is that the company is doing their best to change this.

Cons

I wish I could give half stars because I do still love GW and believe in the company and enjoy my work. The pay is a little frustrating, as many have stated, compared to similar roles at other companies it's a bit low. We've heard for a while now that this was being studied and reviewed but if there's been any followup I've missed it.

We've made some shifts that make us feel more corporate which I know we have to do to an extent in order to grow and not fall into chaos but don't forget that so many of us came and stayed at GW for the family feel. If that slips too far then I fear we'll lose some great people and become a revolving door company like so many other traditional agencies are.

Advice to Management

Keep listening, keep being open, don't forget to follow up on past initiatives. There's definitely more good than bad here, and I think the scales are continually shifting in our favor as we adapt and change as long as we do it the GW way.

Mar 9, 2018 – Employee Enablement Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We had a lot of changes in 2017 but out of it we learned a lot and are using those lessons to build a great future for Goodway!
    As you stated... More

"Cut Throat"

Pros

Work from home. Biannual company get togethers. Will learn a lot about a growing industry in programmatic.

Cons

Goodway is an extremely competitive company internally that believes good enough won't cut it. The company is obsessed with progressive discipline. Supervisors throw their direct reports under the bus regularly to make themselves look better. Many people have been fired in the past year for performance reasons, most of whom were good at their jobs. Any mistake made starts the 3 strikes you're out process, no matter how small. Employees are encouraged to give feedback, but when they do voice their opinions, they are often written up.

Advice to Management

3 or so years ago, Goodway was the best job I ever had. Take a good look in the mirror and get back to the things that made Goodway a great place to work.

Feb 21, 2018 – Employee Enablement Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We've heard similar feedback before and have already made changes to our process. 1) We split the Performance Improvement Plan out from... More

"Went from career to job"

Pros

Work from home is a great scenario for certain people. 401k, Health Insurance is decent. Reimburse for internet/cell phone. Company supplies laptop.

Cons

A once robust and innovative company has become bogged down by the lack of strong middle management. This, and the fact that the company has stopped listening to employees concerns about departmental and job role changes have made this go from a place where you a career path to one where you feel like another cog in the wheel of the machine. Workloads are ever increasing. Salaries are low and raises are pitiful, if you are lucky enough to get one. Middle managers are ineffective, lack leadership and management skills, don’t understand how to address complex problems. Employees who express any sentiment other than “everything’s great” are doomed.

Advice to Management

Reassess your supervisor level of management. Listen to the people doing the work.

Feb 19, 2018 – Employee Enablement Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your comments are very timely as we just launched and facilitated the first Manager Development training program. We heard the feedback regarding... More

"This went downhill fast"

I have been working at Goodway Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many dedicated people and access to the ad tech industry

Cons

The company talks all the time about "family" but is quite the opposite. The owner that everyone loves has checked out and left the company to a group of chummy managers from a previous company that haven't generated any successful initiatives. Its very a very suspicious place now. The entire company and our spouses see it but them. We recently lost a number of key people and leadership barely even noticed. They even know some upper managers are slandering good people and nothing is done about it. Just about everyone is polishing resumes and networking. Clients are noticing its not the same place. So sad to watch.

Advice to Management

Truly review yourselves and upper management. Really listen to your employees without fear of retribution before it is too late. If a lot of people from the same department are leaving ask yourself why.

Jan 29, 2018 – Employee Enablement Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. You are listing some specific perceptions in your review, I'd like to address them. First our owner is very engaged and cares more about each... More

"Some Reviewers Need to Be Taken With a Grain of Salt"

I have been working at Goodway Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home, great co-workers, excellent benefits.

Cons

LAYOFF!

Whichever reviewer wrote " RIF employees have been dealt a more-than-fair hand in all of this. Most had performance discussions prior to the RIF, yet chose to ignore them" either had access to people's personnel files or doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

Dec 1, 2017 – Employee Enablement Manager

I understand where you are coming from and your feedback is greatly appreciated. Since all reviews are anonymous, there is no telling who or why that was posted. Thank you for taking the time to... More

"Not AT ALL "like any other company""

I have been working at Goodway Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Goodway is THE MOST amazing company I have ever worked for. It is truly heartbreaking that so many employees that are part of the unavoidable RIF are resorting to poor Glassdoor reviews to take out their anger/bitterness. Having come to Goodway after being part of a RIF, I can honestly say that GG hands down handled this with as much grace, consideration, honesty and transparency as humanly possible. This decision was NOT taken lightly. And while some view it as "an excuse" to get rid of people, that could not be further from the truth. Goodway has quarterly reviews and an open and honest system in place so no employee should ever question where they stand with the company. Those that were part of the RIF were so primarily due to certain aspects of our business taken in-house at the agencies/companies we work for. Were there a few people that were let go due to performance? Absolutely. Anyone who says they were "blindsided" when they found out their performance was below GG VERY high standards just didn't have their finger on the pulse of their job description and how they were doing as an employee.

Working from home is a blessing for those that are disciplined enough to do so. We have incredible benefits, PTO for vacation, illness, issues with family, etc. that are second to none. Two offsite trips per year allow us to see our Goodway family and recharge for another amazing 6 months.

Cons

Not a thing - did we grow too big too fast? Maybe...lesson learned. But to say that GG is anything but an incredible place to work does a giant disservice to Jay and Dave and the rest of the folks that have made this company what it is today.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! We love working here and with you all. I'm sure the decision for the RIF was an unbearable one to make and we stand behind your past and future decisions.

Dec 1, 2017 – Employee Enablement Manager

Thank you for providing this insight into our organization. We have a great culture with amazing leaders and continue to learn and adapt - and grow stronger each time! Greatly appreciated!

"Great company for Engineering"

I have been working at Goodway Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company leadership in Dave and Jay are the best leadership duo I have ever experienced. The CTO John is super knowledgeable and steady handed. The virtual work environment gives great flexibility and balance. The tech team is packed with great engineers with a wide range of experiences. It is the smartest group of people I have ever worked with.

Cons

The company is going through changes to remain competitive in the industry and that includes restructuring the organization and individuals. The restructuring is painful in the short term, but necessary for the company to remain competitive. It would honestly be more of a con to me if the company needed to restructure but didn't.

Dec 6, 2017 – Employee Enablement Manager

Thank you for taking time to write this review. I appreciate your perspective and honesty!

"Finance"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist

I have been working at Goodway Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Goodway, cIose to three years.

I LOVE my job!

Great Management team, insurance, and work family.

I love working from home and working for an employer who really cares about their employees.

Cons

From my experience, I do not currently have a con to share.

Advice to Management

Thank you, for ALWAYS looking for feedback from your employees, for being transparent, and for making Goodway GREAT!

Dec 5, 2017 – Employee Enablement Manager

Thank you for taking time to write this review. It is greatly appreciated!!