Goodwill Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Goodwill President and CEO Jim Gibbons
Jim Gibbons

Pros
  • Flexible hours and work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• The Goodwill organization is dedicated to helping people help themselves through the power of work (in 97 reviews)

Cons

1. "slave drivers will no longer be an employee or a customer"

Current Contractor - Warehouse Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Contractor - Warehouse Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Goodwill as a contractor

Pros

If you would enjoy being in a slave driven environment maybe this is the job for you.

Cons

the company over works ans under pays their employees. they force you to deal with hazard material. they hire foreign and mentally disabled employees so they can drive in to work long hours and take a shorter breaks I took a bathroom break and was told 15 minutes will be deducted from my pay. There is absolutely no control no Organization no one there speaks English. The management a little two zero responsibility for anything that happens in the warehouse

Advice to Management

go home.

2. "Don't. Work Here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

I worked at Goodwill full-time

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Manager in Manassas is a hater of white employees (they intimidate her and challenge her insecurities ) ...she is an embarrassment to the Goodwill name and cannot keep good employees due to her condescending, unprofessionalism. She has a lot of unpresentable tattoos on her calves and plenty of pent- up hostility (having nothing to do with the employees who attempt to work there).. I watched many walk out before me. Her choice of " favorites" is so obvious, it's pathetic to watch. Most everyone who works there is miserable, but they have no other skills, so they endure the conditions....mostly Latinas, some blacks. Most of the Latinas stick together and refuse to speak English, even though they know how to....talk about racial discrimination and exclusion!
    Horrific place to work, horrific conditions, although I know for a fact not all Goodwill locations are managed this way.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your manager at Manassas! She knows who she is...

3. "Wow"

Current Employee - Job Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Job Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of caring and dedicated coworkers

Cons

Micro managed, demeaning management and not client driven

Advice to Management

Hire someone who can relate and empathize with the clients they serve. Treat employees with respect and common decency.

4. "The CEO makes over $700,00 a year."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Goodwill part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can wear what you want as long as its a royal blue shirt but i can write more cons than pros

Cons

It is a non profit company so if they see you have disabilities and are loosing them money they will try to fire you as soon as possible. All the money they earn stays within the company and the CEO makes more than $700,000 a year, im sure he donates but still.

Advice to Management

They should do a better job of teaching employees with disabilities rather than firing them to maximize profit.

5. "Ecommerce Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Wichita, KS

I worked at Goodwill part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management does not micro manage. They give employees the freedom to work on their own.

Cons

Very low pay and limited hours (28 hours per week). People who work at Goodwill tend to have mental issues so getting along with coworkers can be a challenge..

Advice to Management

Allow people to work more than 28 hours a week and raise the pay a to at least 9.00 per hour.

6. "Donation Attended"

Current Employee - Donation Attendant in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Donation Attendant in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only a few friendly co-workers

Cons

As a Donation Attended you are put into situations that are stressful, tiring, and unappreciated. You'll honestly do too much for $07.45/hr. You take donation, pick up all the trash from the store and dispose of them by yourself. Fix any electronic item that's sellable. Unload trucks if needed. Help move furniture or deliver it to a customer who purchased​ it. Clean the front and back of the store. At times fix anything that's wrong with the store itself. Make bales (huge bricks of clothing) that you'll have to fill up the machine by yourself, while keeping in mind and hoping not a lot of people donated​ items because you'll have to organize them and put them in their right category's. Counting inventory and making sure you write the right digits for your managers to have it easier for them when they do their paperwork. Measure carpets and clean them well enough to sell. Also putting anything together that's not already build (tables,desks, and so on) They give me 34 hours a week max while not letting you make overtime or send you home and make you come back. Also, you will have to make your own judgement because the managers won't be able to help you. Basically if you don't have the supplies for a few objectives. Its your problem. I can't stress how bad this place is. Employees coming to work high, sexual activities, favoritism. I've been here for 6 months, no raise, no promotion, and I only stay here because it's literally 5 minutes away walking distance. I have no car, nor diploma. I'm not a criminal and I don't do drugs. I just work here because I need money to help my family but I don't even know if I can make it.

Advice to Management

Fix everything.

7. "Cut throat employee relations"

Former Employee - Former Store Manager in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Former Store Manager in Mobile, AL

I worked at Goodwill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros as to Gesgc in Mobile Al.

Cons

Unfair demotion tactics and hypocritical actions for a mission based company.

Advice to Management

No advice for mgmt.I was an Asst mgr and then store manager for Gesgc in Mobile Al.The only advice I can give is to watch your back.Gesgc in Mobile Al is a ruthless company to work for.From the CEO to the Vp if you voice an opinion they don't like they will dig very deep to make allegation s and demote you.They will shake your hand with one hand,and stick a knife in your back with another.What a said state of affairs.I don't know of others I am referring to Gesgc in Mobile Al.

8. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Bryan, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Bryan, OH

I worked at Goodwill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promoted fast but that's due to constant turnover.

Cons

They do not give managers any decision making. Managers can't write up send home or terminate anyone with out written consent from corporate. You also make the same as a regular employee. Managers only make 9.50 to 10 an hour.

Advice to Management

You hire management for a reason. Pay them accordingly! Maybe pay better and you might not have so much turnover.

9. "Backstabbing Management"

Former Employee - Employment Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Goodwill full-time

Pros

The Clients are worth helping

Cons

Management does not care about employees
    Managers lie about job security or lack their of
    Managers take advantage of employees and don't appreciate what they do

Advice to Management

Hire leaders and not managers
    Find worth in people not just in profit

10. "Goodwill Industries of the Upstate, Greenville S.C. Not what it seems OR claims to be!!!!"

Former Employee - Production Associate in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Greenville, SC

I worked at Goodwill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is none, you think you are working for a cause to help others but you are not. Goodwill is more concerned with being a retail giant than the mission they claim to be about.

Cons

Going to work, understaffed, HORRIBLE UPPER AND LOWER management, poor pay, exposure to germs pest, little or no safety gear for workers etc...

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees, you say you are getting people back to work but you can not keep your own stores staffed. You pay less than living wage and expect miracles from short staffed overworked employees.

Showing 488 of 2,493 reviews