Goodwill Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 24, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Goodwill President and CEO Jim Gibbons
Jim Gibbons

Pros
  • Flexible hours and work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• The Goodwill organization is dedicated to helping people help themselves through the power of work (in 97 reviews)

Cons

1. "It was a pretty neutral experience."

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Goodwill part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They employed people who typically wouldn't have opportunity of employment anywhere else which is something I really admire about them. Flexible schedule

Cons

The work load was a bit much for minimum wage. The working conditions for employees were absolutely terrible. The break room had roaches and the smell was just unbearable. The environment wasn't very clean but the again, all the items there were used so what did I really expect?

Advice to Management

A more suitable working condition would be nice.

2. "Production Worker Review"

Current Employee - Production Worker in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Goodwill part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling. Easy job. Good job for student, teenager, retiree.

Cons

Lack of training and willingness to train on the part of management. Super low pay. Raises are very low as well. If you work hard you will be expected to do everything. Within my year at Goodwill I've worked basically every position within the store. No room for advancement even if you have experience and education. Positions within the store are interchangeable yet pay is not reflective, for instance a production worker and a material handler may do the exact same thing but the material handlers pay is higher because of his job title.

Advice to Management

Provide more training to employees who need it. Goodwill employs a lot of people who have disabilities yet it seems that they do not provide them with the proper training for them to do their jobs. Management needs to work more one on one with their employees. Pay should be higher in relation to what is expected from the job.

3. "Terrible support services, Great Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues at team level who genuinely believe in the mission

Cons

Takes forever to sort out basic problems with HR, payroll, benefits. Unless you work for corporate they don't care. Don't even respond to issues.

Advice to Management

Sort out payroll and HR - they are supposed to support the entire workforce

4. "Past Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Goodwill full-time

Pros

Great employees who want to make a difference in their community.

Cons

Too many changes and no clear focus in all aspects of the company. Very high turnover but good pay.

5. "2nd Chance Employer"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Goodwill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

able to move up quickly if you work hard and are ambitious, FELONY FRIENDLY - as long as you are honest and do not incur any more offenses you can move up into management

Cons

retail sales associate postions are not full time at most locations, pay is not competitive,

Advice to Management

make sure you have a solid management team because they can be your undoing

6. "Not to bad but could be better"

Former Employee - Team Lead in West Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in West Monroe, LA

I worked at Goodwill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, option for insurance benefits, enjoyed working with the staff, was easy to communicate with other stores when and if there were any issues, laid back for the most part but kept you busy, fairly decent discount, and I find it really awesome goodwill hires those with special needs when many other companies wont.

Cons

Management wasn't always the best, I found that this was due to the lack of salary they wanted to pay. We had the best manager of all time when i was hired, she was hard working, dedicated, was in charge but didn't have a rude or mighty attitude yet kept all of our respect but since goodwill wouldn't pay her what she needed, she ended up leaving for a better job. They will hire rude as heck managers just because this said person was a lead at another store. I was also given an option to be demoted or for me to quit since I didn't have my own car at the time. Which this new manager should of never even known since I NEVER had any issues getting to work on time, leaving on time, taking bank deposits if needed yet I was being pushed to choose from two crappy options despite my hard working attitude. Goodwill will cut people's hours to keep them from being full time for benifits which pushes leads and managers to work twice as hard just to get work down. They also keep the budget so tight for more employees even though we made great sales and always had items being donated yet work that was enough for many people was pushed onto one or two people's hands. Despite our hard workers we would have items pile up in back due to lack of hands. You also have to deal with many customers thinking prices are too high and aren't afraid to let you know, arguing customers, and constantly cleaning up clothing items that customers will pull down and leave on the floor or ontop of racks(mainly due to the racks being too jam packed). Not to mention dealing with smokers taking breaks ever hour on the hour and then some even if the store is hectic.

Advice to Management

Reward hard workers, listen to what is needed in the store and do your best to help make the environment easier, be very aware of those who take smoke breaks and don't let negative and bad workers stick around because that just causes you to lose people who will work hard and work non-stop from the time they come in for work until the time they leave. Don't walk over your employees to get things done, work with them if there are issues and plan and help to change things. Pitching in to work just as hard as your employees is just as important as delegating things to do.

"Great Mission - Lack of Integrity"

Former Employee - Management in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Oakland, CA

I worked at Goodwill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of philanthropic opportunity to make a difference in local communities. Daily success stories from all around the agency, get to see people get back on their feet and change their lives. Opportunities to learn a variety of skills if you are willing to invest time and effort.

Cons

Pay, but it is a non-profit. Leadership does not live by their own rules, when there is issues with revenue they will cut the mission staff first instead of take it out of their substantial salaries. Money does not always go where you would think it should.

Advice to Management

Live by the Mission, by the very image that you project to society. Maintain your integrity by holding all staff accountable, including yourselves. Goodwill is supposed to be about the people it helps.

8. "Superviser"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Goodwill full-time

Pros

Helping people with barriers to employment.

Cons

Pay not great and long hours.

9. "Pros and cons to the company"

Current Employee - Workforce Development Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Workforce Development Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a level of community impact and involvement. The opportunity to move up and develop professionally is there, if you actively pursue it (much like any company). Having a job seeker genuinely thank you for the work you do daily is what makes it worth it.

Cons

Management is obsessed with numbers (retail and job seekers helped). Depending on your direct manager, it can be a tedious and directionless job.

Advice to Management

Think about logistic long term effects and consequences of the frequent changes you roll down to the people on the ground actually doing the work.

"Meh"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bremerton, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bremerton, WA

Pros

Easy job, it's like doing laundry all day constantly picking up clothes and hanging it

Cons

Boring, minimum wage, older work culture.

Showing 671 of 2,488 reviews