Goodwill Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,539 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management did not have any plan to address this (in 135 reviews)

• I would like the clerks to start out at more than minimum wage (in 86 reviews)

"pricing"

Former Employee - Pricing in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Pricing in Racine, WI

I worked at Goodwill part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

works fairly well for students, high school or college. Pay is average, hours can be set up to your availability

Cons

very dusty, not good for people with breathing problems. Management and upper management play favoritism. Family life, you better not have one, even though they state family is important. Will fire you on the spot, do not follow rule book rules.

Advice to Management

Stick up for your employees who have given their best to your store.

2. "Goodwill Employment Review"

I worked at Goodwill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities, cultural diversity, working for a good cause, benefits including healthcare/performance reviews/annual bonus for all employees, focus on building community

Cons

lack of flexibility, low wages, hazardous working conditions, lack of temperature control in warehouse environments, strict dress code, dirty/dusty/moldy

3. "Retail Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Goodwill part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of experience and customer interaction, in my opinion, fun easy work

Cons

not the best shifts for me,

"Goodwill is an easy job. It's a friendly place with good management."

Current Employee - Store Associate in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Goodwill part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy place to work at with moderate work load
    Good management who are always friendly
    They are able to make a schedule that works with you

Cons

You have to deal with a lot of dust and used things
    Some work days my seem to last forever

Advice to Management

Try to have the same rules , each manager has a certain way of doing things which sometimes can be confusing to the workers.

"Managers in Goodwill of North Ga"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started my career with Goodwill back in 2011 as a cashier. Through the years I worked hard and received promotions and a better lifestyle. So the growth potential is great if you want it. The pay is very competitive which is why it makes it hard to leave the company. The mission of Goodwill is to put people to work so you'll almost never have to worry about being laid off. This is a very stable company and has been around for nearly 100 years. Goodwill of North Georgia is a growing entity that supports the community by providing a hand up and not a hand out.

Cons

No salary job is as intense as it is working for Goodwill in my opinion. I've been employed at major companies as a salaried manager with less stress. You would think working as a manager for "Goodwill" that your work load is not as strenuous. Think again. This is a great company but some of the expectations and standards in my opinion could be planned out a lot better by upper management for better execution going forward.

Advice to Management

Work to get positive results, follow the standard operating procedures, train and develop your team, give your team motivation and treat all people good. Many managers get caught up in making money and forget the fundamentals.

"Former store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL

I worked at Goodwill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission services and assisting people with disabilities.

Cons

The way Gesgc Mobile Alabama is disgraceful.Over 600 employees and they don't even have an employee of the month and give away a 25.00 gift card.I was doing this out of my pocket to boost morale and it worked.They are no cutting part time hours to 22 per week.I will give an example.A donor greeter discovered some art work that turned to be worth 15,000 dollars.They did nothing for him.A VP made the statement,someone should by him lunch.I am not referring to all Goodwill affiliate s just Goodwill Easter seals of the gulf coast.If you read this please share your experience

Advice to Management

I would strongly suggest you to review Gesgc in Mobile Alabama.They are ruthless when it comes to dealing with their employees.That is why you can't retain good employees and morale is at rock bottom.I have worked for some cut throat companies.Never in my wildest dreams did I think a company who does so much good in the community would treat their employees as they do.My personal story is shocking the way I was treated.This is not the forum for that.Again it is shocking all they do for the community and treat there employees as they do.Also they have lost touch as far as making revenue.They are 5 years behind and not open to new suggestions to generate revenue.You constantly need to look at trends and changing customer tastes.Gesgc is stuck in the past.At this point they are treading water.They are losing money at an alarming rate not keeping up and updating the business model.Now they are just cutting expenses to keep afloat.I strongly suggest you review Gesgc in Mobile Alabama.My store was number one in change round up,1 or 2 in furniture sales and 1 or 2 in e commerce.Furniture and e comm are where you need to be.They want to cut furniture space to add more racks.Apparel is 55% of sales,but know furniture is catching up.One more thing I know it is a thrift store.When I was there I was putting out nice furniture and making sure e and m was working.Make it more upscale and not just put out dirty broken merchandise.I do hope you take the time to read this and see what is happening at Gesgc in Mobile Al.Thank you for your time and forum,

7. "Could have definitely been better."

I worked at Goodwill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For some roles in the back, you can get full time. They do only pay you minimum wage, but at least you get the hours. A lot of cashiers/stockers also would have pretty good hours- although when short staffed it seemed some workers had hours they didn't want since they signed up for part time.

Cons

In some of the locations, at least the one I was at, the management was very unprofessional. The first time pay day came around I did not get my check until 4 days after I was supposed to. The first time pay day came on the pay card they never even sent my information to the payroll department, and then made me feel like I hadn't followed instructions correctly. They do not train you correctly, they just place you in your assigned work area. I do not believe you receive a percentage off of merchandise, only when the public does you do.

Advice to Management

Please assign more management training to management. Also please expand your payroll department-I was only working here for a short while and heard numerous complaints about pay issues. Some of your managers do not treat the employees right- and that should change. Best of luck.

"Employment Services"

I worked at Goodwill full-time

Pros

I worked in Employment Services, helping people who were at a disadvantage find work, including finding them job training. The work is rewarding, but hard. (I was in Midlands SC, which did not have a thriving economy.) The clients tended to be really happy with what we could offer them, which made me feel like the job was worth it.

Cons

As with a lot of non-profits, the pay is nowhere close to what you would receive for the same job in government or private. The office was always understaffed, which meant that I had an unimaginably large case load. Upper management did not have any plan to address this. The organization runs very lean, and the load falls on the people at the bottom.

Advice to Management

Hire more Employment Specialists and more Case Management. Set up a strong teamwork structure and a strong feedback structure. Re-do the incentives and bonuses structure.

"Peer Specialist"

Current Employee - Peer Specialsist in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Peer Specialsist in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Goodwill part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is nice and they are willing to be flexible with you.

Cons

Places are often times in neighborhoods that are unpleasant.

Advice to Management

To try to have sites in more pleasant environments.

10. "E-Commerce Associate"

I worked at Goodwill full-time

Pros

The managers and supervisors are incredibly understanding of personal issues. They will do what they can to work with you. Always have a listening ear and do their best to put employees first.

Cons

There were miscommunication from time to time. The E-commerce division is in a warehouse and so does have many things going on at once.

Showing 2,539 of 2,611 reviews