Goodyear Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Goodyear Chairman, President, and CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer
Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits work was steady and could move around in the factory if you become board with your current position (in 29 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits for employees (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance planning, expectations are for you to work 24/7 (in 37 reviews)

• Also, there is no work life balance (in 16 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Goodyear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay .. good benefits

Cons

No family life .. upper management lack of concern for lower management and employees.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to stop leading by fear and stop pounding on managers when they are doing there best

2. "Goodyear India - Reflection of Change"

I worked at Goodyear full-time

Pros

Goodyear is a brand, built by some really great visionary people in past. They always believed in building business with great team and culture. They dared to voice their opinion for the right and took decisions without self - interest. However, this is past. Future depends on how existing LEADERS Think, behave and act on Culture, People and business. It will be interesting to watch if existing leaders continue to live in fool’s paradigm or wake up to accept the reality. There is still a ray of hope though.

Cons

Past is no guarantee of future. Change is inevitable – sooner or later. Culture is sliding towards worst. “Yes” culture edging over “Dare” due to fear of losing. Egos are becoming centric to decisions. Personal equations being valued higher than performance. Follow else fall out is becoming prevalent. Watch dogs are either silent or quiet participants. Voice of opinion is getting threatened by actions. Side discussions becoming different than in front of formal group. Alignment without question has become way to please people. Mouths are shut and lips are sealed. Authority for decision is either negligible or highly restricted. Decisions in shorter groups taking over open discussion culture. Short term decisions, mostly to protect self, threatening to damage long term business prospects. Autocracy causing attrition of great talent across functions. Perception of "Who Cares” attitude raising frustration. Compensation being used as a tool to tap and trap outside talent. Inequality in competence to compensation getting wider.

3. "Engineer"

I worked at Goodyear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The work environment is challenging.

Cons

Outdated approaches to solutions and resistance to improvements.

5. "Service Advisor"

Pros

Learning more about cars and trucks

Cons

Pay, coworkers changing my sales to their sales for commission

6. "Have a Current Book of Business with you or Happy Trails"

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Walnut, CA
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Walnut, CA

I worked at Goodyear (More than a year)

Pros

As someone I know who's been in the Commercial Tire Industry close to 25 years,once passed along this sage advice to me(when I told him I got a gig with GCT&SC)he wisely said, "They'll give a Truck,a phone and 1 Year"...no truer words have been spoken. As part of their recent "Nationwide Expansion" program,it felt very much like a start-up company but having a worldwide recognized name brand. Mgt was disjointed,our local retread plant/center had more turnover(s) than Pepperidge Farms,which caused the product to be inconsistent at best.
    Our counterparts(FSSM's)were in a win-win situation because if you landed a large Fleet,they would go behind your back and convert said Fleet into a National Fleet Acct,so kiss your commission goodbye. Unless the Fleet Acct was a million dollar acct,expect your commission to be minuscule. Only 1 of my FSSM's was of any real help to me during my tenure.
    It seems to me that Goodyear has a LOT of has-beens/dead weight on payroll which just bleeds into the profit margin. I got more support from my local soup kitchen.
    In closing,unless you bring a current book of business to the table with you...save yourself the headache and heartache. Stand pat.

Cons

Drive Cam in the Company Truck,felt like Big Brother was watching AND listening. It felt like the Truman Show,very Orwellian and a little disturbing to say the least. Payday is once a Month...that's right,ONCE A MONTH(same as Govt Employees and Teachers,except without the extra 0's on the paycheck and the respect factor),Service Techs get paid weekly,FSSM's bi-weekly and Commercial Reps only once a month. Better coordinate your monthly bills/expenses because it's a long time between paychecks. Another enlightening development was the fact that 3 of my fellow Commercial Reps ALL had part-time jobs.
    That doesn't speak well of Goodyear,the fact that supplemental income is needed and one could not live on just a Commercial Sales Rep's income is sort of an indictment on the state of the Commercial Division. The Dinosaurs(long tenured Reps)refuse to leave because either the money's too good or they have extra expenses at home and cannot afford to retire.
    Either way,the new generation of Reps gets the short end of the stick.
    I did however work with a handful of good people,so it's wasn't a completely negative experience and the personnel in Fort Smith were nice as the day is long.

Advice to Management

Any constructive criticism will NEVER reach Rich Kramer and the "suits" in the Ivory Towers,as long as profits keep rolling(pun intended)in,they see NO reason to implement any changes.
    Dollars before discovery seems to be the mantra. Record profits were achieved in 2015,so I doubt very much that anything will change. I still speak to current Reps and it's absolute cutthroat out in the region. Everyone is fighting for that little crumb on the table and stabbing each other in the back for it. I really expected more from a Fortune 100 Company,it was a shock to the system.

7. "Fleet Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Goodyear full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really good people to work with. Not enough women at the executive level.

Cons

Some major changes are made without thinking about the end result.

8. "Customer Advisor"

Pros

Great Benefits is about it

Cons

Low Pay, No room for advancement, Poor Upper Management

Advice to Management

Start Appreciating your employees

9. "Run away......"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gadsden, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gadsden, AL

I worked at Goodyear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The ONLY pro is that Goodyear does pay well.

Cons

Long hours, expected to wear many hats even if you don't know what you're doing. HIGH turnover, almost everyone that told me goodbye said that they don't blame me for leaving and that they were planning on leaving as soon as they found another job. I do think that this plant will close in the future. Majority of the hourly employees are disgruntled and don't want to work.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees the same, from the janitor to the CEO.

"service manager"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Madison, TN
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Madison, TN

I worked at Goodyear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay and benefits, also great people to work with at location, also best part is they finally closed this location

Cons

no work/life balance, horrible customers, call 1-800 cry baby and Goodyear bows down to every little thing and never backs employees

Advice to Management

care more about your employees, back them up once in awhile and let them see you appreciate them for the crap we all take in retail hell!

11. "Production Associate"

Pros

Only work 14 days out the month. 7 days off straight. Raise every 6 months until you reach peak at 2 years. You can make $50k a year without a college education if want to do general labor until you 65+.

Cons

Rotating shifts. 12 hour shifts. Both days & nights, weekdays & weekends.