Google Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Boston, MA

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 281 reviews)

• Sometimes you feel you are very alone in this big company (in 238 reviews)

"Experience is highly team/project dependant"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Boston, MA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First off, you get to work on problems at huge scale. Even the simplest issues can become remarkably thorny and non-trivial at such scale.
    Second, Google has arguably one of the best developer tools in the industry. It helps you be many times more efficient than the average.
    Third, Google's hiring bar is very high; so your co-workers are often brilliant, and you are seldom slowed down by dependencies on other engineers/teams.

Cons

Google is large, and so each Product Area / Product / Team have their own sub-culture. You might fit well in some, and be a miserable in others. There really is no good way to tell.
    Having brilliant co-workers is a double-edged sword. This also implies a lot of competition for interesting projects, and the bar for getting a promotion is so high that it is not uncommon for people to get promoted for over 5 years or more.

2. "Google Shopping Express"

Current Employee - Store Operator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Operator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary rate per hour
    Flexible Shifts
    Uniforms provided by the company at non cost.

Cons

Contract is limited so no possibility to get hired permanently.

3. "Innovators"

Current Employee - PM of Cool Things in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - PM of Cool Things in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smartest people in the industry

Cons

duplication of effort across BUs

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits (by far the best software engineering pay I've seen in the Boston area). Higher bonus and stock than anywhere else, too.
    Extremely competent coworkers.
    Some interesting projects if you look for them.
    Work/life balance (read as 40 hrs workweek) is doable but you may feel a bit guilty about it as many self-impose longer hours or at least check email at crazy hours.

Cons

Can be hard to feel like you're making an impact or get recognition in such a large company, especially a remote office.
    Most of the really interesting projects are in the Mountain View office.
    Kendall location is convenient to the T but not so great if you're looking to settle down outside of the city.

"In Serious Need of an Adult"

Current Contractor - Field Operations in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Field Operations in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to work independently, if you take the initiative to start a project you can see it all the way through, not a difficult job, scheduling flexible to a degree

Cons

Lots of us were on-boarded using less than honest rhetoric (i.e. "This is a career starter"). No one works more than about 34 hours a week, so we're making significantly less than we were expecting when we were hired. Lots of people were hired without being told they were signing up for what amounted to a non-renewable 2 year contract. No benefits to speak of. Crazy disorganized. Practically no interdepartmental communication. Management contributes to a hostel work environment. No motivation to do anything more than not get fired. Attempts at feedback are met with hostility. No opportunity for advancement. I could go on forever.

Advice to Management

Start Treating your employees like valuable assets, rather than imperfect substitutes for automation. If you give people a little bit of motivation to go above and beyond instead of doing the bare minimum, people will do much better jobs and might actually "strive for continuous improvement" like your mission statement says.

"Fabulous Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Escalation Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Escalation Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Google is famous for good reason. The culture is terrific, the perks are great, and the rewards are meritocratic, which is great because your peers are fabulous. You will never meet people smarter and more dedicated than Google colleagues.Plus, depending on your division and interest you really do have opportunity to solve interesting problems.

Cons

When I started at Google in 2007, it was a much smaller company. By the time I left in 2014, it started to feel a lot more big-company-ish, with more bureaucracy and politics. They did a good job of trying to combat that as best they could but at some point the reality is just that they are huge. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you like working in big companies, but I was seeking something smaller and more mellow.

Advice to Management

Stay vigilant on the work-life balance piece! There's a lot of divisions that are exceptionally high pressure -- which you'll get with many gifted people in one place -- but my experience is that lots of people continue to burn out.

"Great people"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

I've met some of the nicest and smartest people ever at Google. The community is really amazing. Perks are unbelievable: free food, 401k and donation match, generous vacation schedule. I was able to maintain a very reasonable schedule and maintain a personal life even close to project deadlines.

Cons

You may feel only a cog in a large machines. Some projects must be done even if nobody really cares. Very limited bottom-up innovation or decisions. There are some amazing projects, really pushing the future, and some less exciting. According to your luck, you may be building robots, or plug-ins for Google Plus.

9. "Not too shabby"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company to work for especially as your first job, Exceptional people, amazing offices, and very creative environment

Cons

Not much change in pay until a very long time . Pay is good but stagnant

Advice to Management

Increase pay over a period of time

10. "Highly competitive"

Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no shortage of very bright people to bounce things off of and to give you really good feedback about the problems with which you are wrestling.

Cons

There are a few highly competitive people here that put their advancement ahead of getting the most out of the team.

Advice to Management

We good do a better job about bridging the decision makers who lack knowledge of the capabilities of the technology and the technical folks who have to make design choices.

11. "Amazing"

Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the autonomy and the benefits

Cons

Super hard, but there is lots of room for advancement

Advice to Management

Love you guys to death man

Showing 15 of 6,906 reviews