Google Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

4.3

1,714 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 309 reviews)

• Sometimes you feel you are very alone in this big company (in 271 reviews)

"The best place I've worked and also the most demanding."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

You can't find a more well-regarded company that actually deserves the hype it gets.

You'll work on cutting edge projects / solve important issues that impact your community and the world

You'll meet interesting people who are your colleagues, managers, and senior management.

You'll open the paper and see your company in the news almost every day, and read about projects you're working on, which is a cool thing

You'll see Larry and Sergey at TGIF and you'll admire how they lead the company. They are brilliant, goofy, low key but intense, and likeable.

There are 22 cafes (more or less), the food is excellent, and it's free.

Your pay will typically be competitive, though it needs to be tweaked up a bit since the economy has improved.

Google cares about how it treats its employees.

The campus is like an academic campus in many ways.

There are tons of activities on campus, like authors speaking about their books, films after work, and gyms where you can work out - but you'll need to make sure to carve out time to do these things.

You'll get plenty of external validation from people who suddenly think you're smart and rich because you work there, even if you're not rich and you're as smart when you didn't work at Google.

If and when you leave, you'll never regret having that company on your resume. It opens doors.

The company is flexible - if you're lucky, you won't have a micromanager boss and you can be somewhat flexible in how you work - but don't get me wrong - you'll work a LOT. But you don't have to do all of it chained to your desk.

Cons

I live in SF so the commute can take between 1.5 hours to 1.75 hours each way on the shuttle - sometimes 2 hours each way on a busy day or rainy day. That means being on the bus for 3-4 hours PER DAY. It's a wired bus though which means you can work on the way to Mountain View. But it can feel brutal.

Your first year or two are really important in terms of your career at Google and they affect how you're viewed, and your ability to be promoted. You should always ask to work on high profile projects. If you don't get them, don't expect to get high ratings or get promoted. Always volunteer for cross functional group work for maximum exposure, and then work hard at those things.

You'll likely work on something that no one will explain to you and it will take you at least a year to be comfortable doing what you're working on, even if you're super quick at learning. No one has time to train you or teach you what you're doing - which is kind of hard.

After two or three years, people you started out with at Google start to get promoted. If you're not one of them, you'll wonder why and how it happened, and that process is somewhat political and not always clear.

It's a big company now. And super political. So don't be naive. Expect some people to be catty, some people to be territorial, and be prepared to be mentally tough. Don't let people see your vulnerableness. It's a Darwinistic culture with a huge dose of 30-something idealism on top which can fool you into thinking that people are easygoing - they're not. They're driven. If you're not driven, you're not going to fit in.

When you start at Google, it seems like peer reviews are super important - they are, but they are the sprinkles on the fro yo. The important thing is that your direct manager knows your work, likes your work and likes you, and then you can get promoted. If your boss doesn't like you, all the positive peer reviews in the world won't help you. Make sure you know what your boss wants, and give it to them. You will have weekly one on ones, and make sure you are addressing your performance at each one, asking if they have questions, how you can improve, can you work on cross functional projects, etc.

It's really hard to find work life balance at Google. The workload is huge. I hardly have time to work out. The commute is brutal. My family sometimes needs more from me and I can't give it. I'm still trying to find the balance. I think I need more down time than most people so I have a hard time being structured every day to fit all the things I want into my day, so a lot of things slip, like working out.

Advice to Management

Keep on NOT micromanaging - that is a huge benefit to Google. Most of us have a huge workload and we work in spikes and not chained to our desks, and we care deeply about producing, and we produce a lot. We can do that because you respect us enough to give us some freedom in how we do our jobs.

"Moving at the speed of light, burn out is inevitable"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1) Food, food, food. 15+ cafes on main campus (MTV) alone. Mini-kitchens, snacks, drinks, free breakfast/lunch/dinner, all day, errr'day.

2) Benefits/perks. Free 24:7 gym access (on MTV campus). Free (self service) laundry (washer/dryer) available. Bowling alley. Volley ball pit. Custom-built and exclusive employee use only outdoor sport park (MTV). Free health/fitness assessments. Dog-friendly. Etc. etc. etc.

3) Compensation. In ~2010 or 2011, Google updated its compensation packages so that they were more competitive.

4) For the size of the organization (30K+), it has remained relatively innovative, nimble, and fast-paced and open with communication but, that is definitely changing (for the worse).

5) With so many departments, focus areas, and products, *in theory*, you should have plenty of opportunity to grow your career (horizontally or vertically). In practice, not true.

6) You get to work with some of the brightest, most innovative and hard-working/diligent minds in the industry. There's a "con" to that, too (see below).

Cons

1) Work/life balance. What balance? All those perks and benefits are an illusion. They keep you at work and they help you to be more productive. I've never met anybody at Google who actually time off on weekends or on vacations. You may not hear management say, "You have to work on weekends/vacations" but, they set the culture by doing so - and it inevitably trickles down. I don't know if Google inadvertently hires the work-a-holics or if they create work-a-holics in us. Regardless, I have seen way too many of the following: marriages fall apart, colleagues choosing work and projects over family, colleagues getting physically sick and ill because of stress, colleagues crying while at work because of the stress, colleagues shooting out emails at midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am. It is absolutely ridiculous and something needs to change.

2) Poor management. I think the issue is that, a majority of people love Google because they get to work on interesting technical problems - and these are the people that see little value in learning how to develop emotional intelligence. Perhaps they enjoy technical problems because people are too "difficult." People are promoted into management positions - not because they actually know how to lead/manage, but because they happen to be smart or because there is no other path to grow into. So there is a layer of intelligent individuals who are horrible managers and leaders. Yet, there is no value system to actually do anything about that because "emotional intelligence" or "adaptive leadership" are not taken seriously.

3) Jerks. Sure, there are a lot of brilliant people - but, sadly, there are also a lot of jerks (and, many times, they are one and the same). Years ago, that wasn't the case. I don't know if the pool of candidates is getting smaller, or maybe all the folks with great personalities cashed out and left, or maybe people are getting burned out and it's wearing on their personality and patience. I've heard stories of managers straight-up cussing out their employees and intimidating/scaring their employees into compliance.

4) It's a giant company now and, inevitably, it has become slower moving and is now layered with process and bureaucracy. So many political battles, empire building, territory grabbing. Google says, "Don't be evil." But, that practice doesn't seem to be put into place when it comes to internal practices. :(

Advice to Management

1) Don't dismiss emotional intelligence and adaptive leadership. They're not just catch phases. You need great managers and leaders in order to build great companies and develop great employees. The people who may be brilliant at solving technical issues may not be (and are most often, not) the best candidates for management.

2) Do something about that work-ife balance. Don't just have a bunch of pow-wows and tech talks and discussions about it. Leadership should actually model it. Consider re-evaluating how work is done; what processes are in place that are inefficient and ineffective and need to be updated or removed?

3) Don't forget that there is already a pool of incredibly talented people within the company. If career development is really a goal at Google, then do it. Don't just hire from the outside. Take the time to help your employees develop their careers - then maybe you won't lose some of the great ones, and maybe you'll have prevent some of that burn out and disillusionment.

"Once you’re in, it’s like Disneyland for adults"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people. Laid back work environment. Lots of perks.

Cons

Lost within a big company. Not as much innovation as one would think. Under paid over qualified scenarios.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great projects, lots of perks, great internal mobility.
    Awesome health insurance, 401k.
    For a software engineer, the choice of project team can be mind-boggling and excitement & learning can be had in every corner of the company.

Cons

Starting to get crowded at the mid to senior levels and more bureaucratic. Management quality can be spotty as management training has not kept pace with rapid hiring, so your experience with your manager can vary.

Advice to Management

Career paths at the more senior levels are murky and it is getting very crowded at mid to senior engineering levels. Advancement is slow and can be difficult.

"Managers don't manage"

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are a young, single, male software engineer.

Cons

Not a great place to work if you have a family, are female or have to manage people. Most managers do not have any management training, nor are they given any. There is no recognition given to engineering managers for their ability to help people's careers, performance, or as to how happy their people are with their manager. Almost all emphasis is placed on an engineering manager's technical contribution. Therefore, there is no incentive for managers to treat their employees well, meet with them or help them. Nor is there much incentive for managers to make good business decisions. Most engineering managers only care that they did something technically interesting. Whether it fails or not is not important. Whether it contributes to the company's strategy or business is not important. And certainly, whether their people grow and move forward with their careers is not important.

Advice to Management

There are 10 qualities that Google identifies as making good managers. Start measuring your managers on those qualities!

6. "If you got to work for someone else, this is the one"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Virtually unlimited resources, many companies under the same umbrella, possibility to work on a very wide range of fields.

Cons

You'll be a drop in an ocean of many other very smart people. Which isn't all that bad, but if you are looking for front-lines action, you may be disappointed.

Advice to Management

Listen to what people say. There's an increasing risk of management getting too detached from the "common folk" or the every day engineers.

7. "Solution Engineer"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture especially collaborative and supportive team color

Cons

Very hard for promotion as there ar too many talented persons

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great company to work for. There are many opportunities in different parts of the organization.

Cons

It has gotten political and very large. There are over 70,000 employees. Desitions take time and the company has gotten slower.

Advice to Management

Get faster. React to market conditions quicker.

9. "Company Overview"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very good work life balance
    tech is very sound

Cons

less opportunities compared with startups

10. "It's an OK place to work..."

Current Employee - Quantitative User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Quantitative User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very good environment overall

Cons

promotion eval is terrible. It sucks

Showing 1,714 of 8,030 reviews