Google Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

1,569 reviews

Mountain View, CA

1,569 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 270 reviews)

• Google is a big company with a lot of insider technologies; don't expect to know it all from day one (in 231 reviews)

1. "UX Mangaer"

Former Employee - User Experience Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- people & culture
    - scale of problems
    - comp

Cons

- political fighting
    - lack of design curiosity

Advice to Management

n/a

2. "I was contractor from third party company, providing software services."

Former Contractor - Slave in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Slave in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, nice weather, caltrain. Palm trees, nice mountains, valley and air.

Cons

Complex management, you have to much bosses, and too little freedom, Bad incompetent bosses, expensive California, low salary, no perspectives, no life, sadistic managers intentions, I was near to commit suicide there, however happily relocated back to my country.

Advice to Management

Be honest: You are just financial company, and software support company, everything that gives you a value and growth of stocks was bought (yes, talented people leave than after acquisition), but you have California full of start-ups you can buy to increase your stocks price.

"Not what I thought it would be"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Google had a good salary, not great, but ok for the present market. It's a company that is flush with money so there are a lot of interesting things to do if you can get on the right teams.

Cons

A very long commute for me, they should allow people to work all over the bay area. A lot of politics, 10 percent of the people are actually bright and know what they are doing, the rest just latch onto their coattails. The people prides itself on have very very very smart people; I didn't see that many such people while I was there. If you are not on the right team the work can be rather boring.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on innovative development. Cut out the middle managers. Be more innovative given all the resources the company has. There is far too much hype surrounding this company

5. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, career opportunities

Cons

A lot of teams and projects are not as good.

6. "Good benefits, Big company problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

high salary, lots of benefits

Cons

big company problems. lots of negativity

Advice to Management

manage poor performers better

"The stereotypes are true"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been in Google for 6 years, and it is really as good as people say it is.

- Culture: Very supportive and positive culture
    - Interesting technical problems
    - Smart colleagues
    - Nice perks
    - Flexible work schedule

Cons

- Complex systems. Need to do lot of work (approvals, reviews, configuration & code changes) to make even small user-facing changes.

8. "Many opportunities, but also chaotic."

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, showing initiative and leadership is welcomed and rewarded. Lot of freedom in pursing research directions.

Cons

Many teams and people. There is a good chance that there already is an entire team working on your research idea - and that you only find out after sinking months into it. Often lack of strong (leadership) vision, resulting in lack of synchronisation between teams.

Advice to Management

Be less afraid to impose your (long-term) vision - people will still feel empowered enough if they have a say in strategy (how to achieve said vision).

9. "Sales Specialist"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Although as a contractor you have free food, good benefits from my contractor, you can use the gym, and my area offer a lot of flexibility

Cons

Not a full-time google employee

Advice to Management

Bring the good contractors on board!

10. "Buyer Beware"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of amenities, knowledgeable people, great staff

Cons

If you are thinking about working at Google only do so as a Full Time Employee. Those of you who are thinking about going to work as a Temp/Contractor/Vendor, don't! They essentially use all TVC as outsourced labor. Managers will take all credit for your work and you will get little to no recognition and the chances of you actually becoming a FTE is probably less than 1%
    You will most likely read this and say "Hey, that won't be me! I will be better" - trust me, you won't. I worked in sales within their fastest and biggest current project driving over 9 figures in pipeline and 8 figures in closed pipeline. I onboarded multiple other employees, built out a lot of their processes and also helped create an official program of theirs all while piloting multiple other programs. What did this get me? 0
    The people who you will work with will likely be awesome, thats what makes it so hard to leave. But, the sad part is that Google is so big that even if you do well they wont notice you. The only way you get noticed is if you fit their cookie-cutter prototype. Google is no longer the Google you see in "The Intern" it is way more corporate now.
    Think you are qualified for a position? Google will find a way to block you while making it seem like you have been given an actual chance to move upwards. Even if you are actually completely qualified for a position, they would rather hire people with more elite pedigrees (college/jobs). Now, I get where they are coming from, but a pretty consistent compliant has been that these new hires have been no where near up to par. But, since Google wants to maintain its elitist image it keeps maintaining the status quo.
    Another fun aspect of Google is that during the interviews you are not actually interviewed for the role (sales - I'm fairly certain engineering is different). I was essentially asked 3 hours worth of questions on how to better Google. They will ask you "hypothetical" questions on how to better their own products that are failing. For example: I was asked on how I would monetize a free product without disrupting the consumer base - and if there was a product that was failing to meet expectations, how I would try to turn it around to drive growth. These "hypotheticals" could be directly linked to the current state that Google is in now. It wouldn't surprise me if the way Google is able to innovate and adapt to changes was through the mining of thousands of applicants brainstorms during interviews. It's actually very clever (whoever thought of it), but highly insulting.
    There are a lot of great people at Google, but unfortunately they are all beginning to leave due to the few people in leadership positions that are poisoning the well. Do I hate Google? No - its business. They gave me an opportunity and I killed it and now it has opened more doors for me else where. Unfortunately Google is disingenuous and manipulative and luckily I had enough foresight to predict what was happening to my team and myself.
    One of the most hypocritical thing about Google is their "Googliness" phrase. Many Googles (I only say "many" because I know a lot that are amazing people) are the most un-Googley people I have ever met. It blows my mind how people will tell you to be Googley and the actual Googlers are the most underhanded people you will meet. If you're smart enough you will be able to spot these sneaky snakes.
    If you are being offered a job as a TVC at Google don't take it unless you are OK with no upward mobility. The food and amenities will be a trap that will keep you there. Get out while you can. Google will always be around because its got the $$$. I do think Google is still an amazing company doing amazing things, but with whole switch to trying to be more Enterprise 2 Enterprise focused it has become a cesspool of filth due to corporate snakes hiring other snakes.
    Buyer Beware

Advice to Management

Put competent people in leadership positions instead of people who you feel can scratch your back in the future. I guess that would assume that the people in positions of power actually had a conscious, which they do not.

"Google Cloud is confused and struggling"

Former Employee - Google Cloud in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Google Cloud in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The broader culture and opportunities are across Google are real and the culture is great in most places. Good embrace of the individual and solid equity. If you do start in Google Cloud, plan on making your way out of it to a more secure group within a . couple years.

Cons

Google Cloud has few real customers and wins deal by dropping price. Little real innovation and lots of politics. The management has been a revolving door of promotion-driven and warring fiefdoms for 4-5 years. They have mostly lost the Apps business to Microsoft Office 360 and the Public Cloud space to Amazon and Microsoft aside from a handful of faithful start-ups that are almost all of their business. Also, ageism and sexism is very real at Google.

Advice to Management

Hire some market-experienced leadership with cloud chops. Management has been a potlical mess and revolving door for 4 years. Foster focus on your customers and your teams rather than individual ladder climbing.

Showing 1,569 of 6,725 reviews