Google Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 23, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 304 reviews)

• Sometimes you feel you are very alone in this big company (in 266 reviews)

1. "Highly, highly team dependent"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Google as an intern

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Robust technical infrastructure
    Documentation galore
    Immense product impact
    Easy to interview anywhere else later

Cons

Experience is highly team dependent. I had a team that failed to support me as an intern - I ended up constantly stressed, scrambling to meet insane expectations, and typically worked 10+ hours for half the summer, with a few weekends thrown in for good measure. I wasn't alone; I made some good intern friends who also ended up stuck at the office on the weekends to make deadlines.

Advice to Management

The intern-team host matching process is by far the most cumbersome out of any tech company, and yet, it still produces poor results.

"Biased Management"

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Great learning opportunities on the tech side
    - Beta testing software

Cons

- Similar to me biases are very common among managers and leans heavily to the favor of CIS white employees
    - One set of rules for higher level employees vs lower level employees
    - Management doesn't care
    - Management isn't qualified and legacied in from years ago
    - Management male dominant
    - Difficult to get promoted with BS rules of time in role
    - Female employees always given less opportunity

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize your biases, give fair opportunities, match employees with managers that can understand their work.

3. "tester"

Current Employee - Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Google (More than 5 years)

Pros

good to work at DC office

Cons

too busy too relax, too

"Former Fulfillment Lead"

Current Contractor - Fulfillment Lead in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Fulfillment Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Perks are cool. Free food. Hourly Salary.

Cons

as a contractor you get no vacation time, and while being hourly has its perks, taking a day off kills your paychecks... The work they have you do focuses on Long Term goals.... But they don't convert contractors to full time. So once your time is up, it's over.

Advice to Management

Make these positions full time positions, your office leads don't care about the long term, because they're around.

"Programmer"

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

Can gain knowledge from skilled workforce

Cons

Too political - if you are conservative you are shunned by some

"Learned a lot, but advancement is too slow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learn about big data and massive systems. Surrounded by smart researchers. Shuttle for commuting.

Cons

Promotion process too arbitrary. I got extremely good ratings but still was passed over for far too long. Promo still requires a "launch" with a right kind of metrics to impress the committee.

Bay Area too expensive. I'm leaving for Seattle -- it's expensive too, but it's *possible* to buy a condo/house there without a ridiculous commute. The past 5 years of price-doubling have prevented me from getting into the market even at my good software engineer salary. Priced out of market -- seriously. The people who can bear to live near work are married Google couples, new grads from India or China living together crammed into crappy small houses... or people who bought a place 5 years ago before $750k, 2 bedroom, 1200 sq ft houses became $1.5M.

My skills were note utilized; I couldn't get transferred onto the right teams where I could apply my Ph.D. research.

Advice to Management

When someone like me gets Strongly Exceeds Expectations 3 times in a row (that's 1.5 years) it's high time for promotion. I'm leaving because I wasn't promoted from 4 to 5 despite long-term dedicated efforts to do so, whereas I have an offer for an L5-6 equivalent position in another major company. I would have stayed indefinitely otherwise. But now I realize that even if I get a promo soon, I'll only get a 6% raise (per policy) and it will still take a year for the RSU benefits to start catching me up to the next level comp. Meanwhile I can get a 25% raise tomorrow by jumping ship. **Note that the delay between "prove you're performing at the next level for a year (or much more)" combined with "RSUs awarded later on, total comp will catch up eventually..." means that I'll be underpaid for 2 years or so if I stay.**

This matters since, while waiting for promo, I've been priced out of the housing market. My friends who are married with a spouse at Google are house-hunting, and younger ones are living together in 5 bedroom places. I'm married and need some privacy, my wife doesn't work, so there's no way to live close to work and I'm sick of commuting. If I had made it to L5 when I applied I'd afford to be staying, but now it's too late.

Also, when I have specialized skills from my Ph.D. and I'm constantly getting moved to projects that aren't making use of those skills, it's annoying. "Headcount" issues on super-appropriate teams for me kept me out of the positions where I would be most useful to Google by applying my Ph.D. work. So I'm taking my talent elsewhere.

All in all, I was greatly disappointed by:
     * Extremely slow time-to-promo (due to higher-ups cancelling projects... out of my control).
     * Advanced to lead a team of 6 people, at only level 4 (a "junior" role where explicit team leadership is very uncommon) and yet still the promo process didn't value my contribution, even though my manager and director did.
     * Cost of living in the Bay Area, and resultant time to commute (Gbus was great but it got old after 5 years)
     * Stuck on wrong projects, due to headcount issues/timing/18-months-on-team-before-transfer policy. And bait-and-switch for my initial team due a "headcount problem" where I didn't get into the expected team in the first place.
     * Not valued for my Ph.D. speciality skills, but simply as a software engineer. I'm moving to a company that needed *me* in particular, and I'm joining a particular team. This generic SWE-hiring with random team matching is insulting.

"Extremely long hours. Your co-workers are only in it for themselves."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Free food
    - On-site Gym
    - Everyone will like you more because you work for Google

Cons

- Everyone outside of work won't stop asking about Google
    - All of the free food and dessert will make you fat
    - Co-workers with a god complex everywhere. They're all at the top of their games with little humility. You will get lonely.
    - Minimal chance for advancement
    - Everyone is on edge here. No one can relax. You will get lonely.
    - My co-worker insulted a Chinese co-worker all the time and no one said a word which is indicative of the culture here.
    - Long commute times on the over-packed buses akin to taking two coach flights per day on the smallest airplane.
    - Outdated equipment
    - Broken toilets everywhere. Broken bikes everywhere. Everything is broken.
    - Knowing that this is the best job on that planet makes all of this even more depressing
    - The Google exceptionalism mentality permeates everything and everyone here.
    - Low wages compared to competition
    - I could go on and on

8. "SETI"

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

The perks and benefits are great.

Cons

There aren't many managers who understand how to leverage people's abilities. Most just want cookie-cutter worker bees.

9. "GSX Store Operator"

Former Employee - Store Operator in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Store Operator in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FT. Competitive Pay. Great work environment, Considerable perks through Google.

Cons

Lousy benefits (through temp. agency), Unavoidable politics within Google, Over reliance on metrics.

"Avoid Google Cloud Field Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Google name, good perks and benefits, good base salary, nice offices

Cons

- You will not make your number unless you are personally connected with management and are given top accounts. The nepotism is the worst I have ever seen in my career. Certain managers are just openly favoring their friends.
    - Sales operations is not a mature operation. The CRM data is totally incorrect, payouts for deals often go to the wrong rep... literally a 50-50 shot that you will get paid on what you sold. Trying to get contract changes approved is a nightmare.
    Facts -
    - 10% of outside field reps on an individual number made their number last year. Many were not even close.
    - In my region there were two reps out of 20 over quota. Those two reps, of course, were handed accounts that would have been buying from anyone. All about which accounts you are handed.
    - The uplifts on quota are absurd. 100%, 150% increases over what that territory did last year. Unless you have a huge, new deal... and given the length of the sales cycle it will be a year or two if you are not handed an account, you will not hit quota. If people were shown how many reps missed quota last year and understood their chances of success coming in, they would have a difficult time recruiting people... and this is an opportunity to work at Google.

Advice to Management

You can't keep doing this to people. People come into to Google, generally giving up successful careers elsewhere, because they think they will be put in a situation where they will succeed given skill and a large effort. That isn't the case. Everyone knows that isn't the case. Given Google's reputation as an employer it is shocking. People Ops should really step in and say that this isn't the way Google is going to treat its employees, we're not going to set people up to fail.

Showing 256 of 7,937 reviews