Google Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 21, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be very challenging (in 263 reviews)

• Becoming a big company, even culture wise (in 224 reviews)

1. "Increasingly disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing perks. Improved work/life balance. Lots of internal mobility opportunities. Supports career/personal development with a multitude of internal classes and resources.

Cons

Increasing pool of ineffective and inexperienced middle managers. HR doesn't do anything perceivable to remove toxic employees (even ones who have a proven track record of questionable ethics/morality and embarrassingly low employee feedback scores). Lots of hierarchy. As a result, culture is quickly degrading.

"Lifeless corporate drones"

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

Decent salary, that's about it

Cons

Massively overcrowded offices, more lawyers and Human Resources bots than engineers, company is terrified of Amazon's growth and just trying to copy everything they do, zero innovation

"Just a short stay here"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the free food when I visited the main campus. Some of the people I met there were pretty good.

Cons

It didn't turn out to be what I thought it would be. Maybe I was just disillusioned by the hype but it isnt all milk and cookies and puppies at google.... just be aware that you're going to work for mega corporation not some fun "start up"

Advice to Management

How about you inject a little bit of humility in the culture?

"A Disappointing Place where Bias Still Exists and No true support for those with Disabilities"

Former Employee - Learning and Development in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Learning and Development in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a place that will truly challenge you and there are some great people who are trying to make a true difference. I leave knowing that what I worked on had true impact on others personally and professionally. I was lucky to have the mentors and champions I did.

Cons

It is a sink or swim environment. Wonderful perks but they are there to keep you at work longer. People don't leave jobs, they leave managers. Google has a long way to go when it comes to training their managers effectively and actually making sure they represent the initiatives Google is in the news for such as Psychological Safety and Unconscious Bias. I went from amazing managers and sponsors to the worst manager ever. Just because a manager takes a course doesn't mean they have adopted the lessons taught.

I suffer from a disability that is episodic and goes into remission at times. At the end of my time with Google, despite needs for accommodations due to my disability, my manager declined a request to work in a quieter and more private work space. HR took their time. In addition, I was only allowed to work from home on Fridays. I was also penalized on my performance review for not being able to work in a more visible work space. This is important to note. I went from a high performing employee for 4+ years and then got sick and within 3-4months was rated as a Needs Improvement by my manager who had only managed me for 3 months and the one before 5 months. At Google, your MANAGER has the final say on your performance review. Despite high ratings from everyone else, HR stands firm about letting the managers rating be the overall rating and override all other reviewers.

Google needs to understand that not all people work or learn the same way. Don't expect reasonable accommodations to be honored here. They took 6 weeks to respond to my drs note for a medically necessary accommodation. This is NOT a space if you have any type of disability especially cognitive or mental ones. There is a whole internal email disability group which provides a community for many of us who are struggle from our disability and not our jobs. However, no one from HR has bothered to address the true struggles that people with disabilities are facing.

Advice to Management

It is not enough to just have programs on Psychological Safety and Unconscious Bias. Google needs to do a better job vetting and deciding who moves into a management role. I loved my job and I was great at it. The change to two new managers in less than 6 months was not only too much for me to take but for our team of 10. Manager survey reports are enough. What are the chances that the managers report is going to tell you that the managers you put in place last lacked so little empathy, compassion, and support and was so goal driven that they pushed 2 of their 10 reports onto medical leave. Google, you are losing tons of top talent because people don't fit into a particular mold. The truth of the matter is that sooooo much top talent can be saved with very minor accommodations. There needs to be an Advocate for those who have disabilities to mediate with HR or managers when needed.
    So many managers are caught up in their day to day that despite being educated on Unconscious Bias .... they just can't see their biases because they are so caught up on performance. You can't know what you don't know just like many of these managers can't see their biases. You can't see what you can't see and a short workshop or online course is not enough to make you see it, identify it and change it. Google, you need someone to be identifying and challenging managers in real life to challenge their biases and to come in and advocate for those with disabilities. Many other companies already have this role and it is truly unfortunate that a large company such as Google at the forefront of so much does not.

"Many of us, particularly those of us with disabilities who have faced persistent discrimination throughout our lives, not least when trying to find employment in the first place, take enormous pride in our hard-fought jobs and careers."- Stella Young. For many with disabilities, it is a dream come true to work at Google. It's hard to work so hard with a disability, and have your accomplishments taken away not because of your disability, but because of persistent discrimination.

6. "Terrible"

I worked at Google part-time

Pros

Organized, intelligent and overall cool place to work

Cons

Terrible management, bad employees, bad pay

7. "Technical Recruiter"

Current Contractor - Technical Recruiter
    Current Contractor - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the sense of autonomy in this environment

Cons

No work-life balance whatsoever.

8. "Not the greatest plaace to work"

Pros

Can't beat some of the benefits

Cons

Your manager has everything to do with your experience at Google (or anywhere...)

Advice to Management

Be fair and care about your employees - they are your most valuable asset

9. "Leadership"

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers, Providing a valuable service to those who need it

Cons

Bad Leadership, Salary does not match the work, Pay for own fuel to clients

10. "Store Operator"

Former Employee - Store Operations in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store Operations in Washington, DC

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy hire, friendly peers.

Cons

Management is passive agressive, employees are penalyzed for offering constructive criticism. Employees work very hard but are treated like middle schoolers. When hired they tell you that it is full time, it is actually 38 hours a week. You will likely never work 40 hours.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest.

"Contractors aren't treated or valued as employees. You are there to do the boring work."

Current Contractor - User Experience Designer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Contractor - User Experience Designer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus– nap pods, fireplaces, and anything you else you ever heard.
    The food– free breakfast, lunch and dinner. And it's delicious food.
    The coffee– on-site baristas for any-time free lattes.
    The pay– they doubled my asking price.... doubled.

Cons

Contractors are hired to do the mundane work the FTE don't want to do. I was hired as a UX designer, hoping to work on an application. Instead I am writing documentation and cataloging design assets. There is plenty of work I could help with, but they only save that for the FTE. I took the job to have Google on my resume and thats the only thing I am getting out of the job.

Contractors don't report to a manager but just a FTE. That means these people aren't trained or even qualified to manage you. You won't get any 1-on-1's or improvement plans to move up in the company. I am currently being micro-managed by a designer who isn't open to my ideas. I have to do exactly what he says in the exact way or I am reprimanded. And I have yet to interact with an HR representative at Google.

You aren't a part of the team and they make that clear. Contractors obviously won't have all the perks of benefits or team events but as a contractor usually you are okay with that. But what bothers me most is managers, engineers, and PMs will talk how they only have 1 designer, when in reality you are the second. Literally you aren't even counted as headcount or acknowledged that you are present in a meeting.

The way employees talk of TVCs (contractors), this makes sense. Any project that needs someone to do something boring that FTE dont have time for, they just say lets hire a TVC do it.

In the end, I am struggling to decide to stay when I hate the work and have an awful manager, but I have Google on my resume and the pay is great. You will most likely have the same struggle if you are a motivated worker, looking for challenge and growth in your career. Money sometimes isn't worth it.

Advice to Management

Give contractors a modified Noogler training. I had to ask my manager about security questions and what I could and couldn't do because there was nothing for a contractor to learn. ANY sort of onboarding process would be greatly appreciated.

Don't have contractors report to an FTE but someone with management training.

Have a more extensive interview process for contractors. If you get higher quality contractors, you might find you have a lot of potential candidates for FTE positions and they can then be treated as such.

Showing 224 of 6,557 reviews