Google Reviews | Glassdoor

Google Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be very challenging (in 263 reviews)

• Becoming a big company, even culture wise (in 224 reviews)

"Fortunate."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, and the constant innovation - makes coming to work everyday a fun routine.

Cons

We've grown too quickly, making it difficult to get things done as quickly as we were able to years ago. We've also focused on hiring elite students and MBA grads, who don't always have the street sense needed in a dynamic and changing sales organization.

"Google Summer of Code was the best experience a student can get"

Former Intern - Google Summer of Code Open Source Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Completely depends on the organization you choose to participate with, but the majority are rigorous, challenging and rewarding. I was able to solve extremely difficult problems while being mentored by the best possible mentors, and I intend to participate in GSoC '13.

Cons

No interaction with Google, which is a great and bad thing. Could use a slightly stricter structure, but overall the program is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Expand the program to more students!

"Good, not great, company"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, motivated people. Great tools and build systems. Great infrastructure for building web properties.

Cons

Bad mid-level management, without a great way to do career development. Discipline around people management relatively weak. Review model ok, not great.

Advice to Management

Career development and management reviews

5. "Working on strong impact project"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The company is willing to bet on risky projects
    - Projects have a worldwide visibility
    - Fun people, fun environment
    - Amazingly smart coworkers

Cons

Nothing fundamentally bad about the company.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Google offer an amazing work environment, with unbelievable perks. People around you are very smart

Whatever you do in Google, you are probably working on (or supporting) an innovative product and having a quite large impact.

Things move at a very fast pace. The speed is really one of a startup. Organized chaos is how I should describe Google. A chaos that magically works

It is a relatively flat organization. While there is a well defined chain of command in every function, the individual are still empowered to work cross-functionally and take initiative.

Cons

It is getting a little bit too political in Google, which I guess is only natural for 40K company.

PMs tend to take a bit too much credit for everything around, Engineering are very isolated (maybe by design) from operation/monetization aspects. Other functions are secondary to PM and Engineering in almost every aspect.

Vision is increasingly a top-down thing with less and less grass root initiatives .......... working on your 20% these days mean your bonus will probably disappear because you need your manager sign-off, which likely has a different agenda, and his own 20%

Advice to Management

Most middle managers are extremely overloaded and consequently ineffective in managing their teams. It is ridiculous to have any individual managing more than 10 direct reports, and expect him to be informed on his team progress while spending most of his time in x-functional meetings ............ managers tend to never be available for spontaneous discussion, which slow decision making.

Google should add more layers of management like any other Fortune 500. Hierarchical management when done right is supposed to be a solution for a proactive organization ................. in Google it is more of a problem because of the ideological believe in the flat organization and the extreme reluctance in adding layers.

"If it's too good to be true..."

Current Intern - Ops in Mountain View, CA
    Current Intern - Ops in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and looks good on the resume

Cons

There are some very snobbish, insulting, and vulgar people here. Imagine a country club and a technology company had a kid. Now that kid is a spoiled elitist brat that thinks everything they do is amazing.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Picking clean Ivy Leaguers and tossing them in a role is not always a plan for success. When it does work, don't burn them out and replace them like a strobe light bulb at a rave.

"It's OK as a contractor."

Former Contractor - Business Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Contractor - Business Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, enthusiasm, lots of free Google stuff (bags, jackets, shirts, etc.). Cool technology - new phones, tablets and computers to use and test on the job. It's exciting to work on things that you know people use and love.

Cons

You kind of have to drink the kool-aid. So enthusiasm over new acquisitions can be over the top. You've got use and LOVE (or pretend to) new projects like Wave, Google+, Google Local, etc. As a contractor, you're definitely on the bottom of the heap.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about the length and scope of our projects. My position was supposed to be 3 months, but lasted about 8 (not complaining about that necessarily) but slowly morphed into sales. When it ended, it was sudden. No warning - just 10 people called into a meeting (our whole team) and told this was the last day so turn in our equipment.

9. "great place to work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

great culture;
    hard problems;
    bright people;
    fast paced;
    good food;

Cons

all of the pros if you are looking for a 9 to 5 worriless job

10. "Amazing internship opportunity"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You're going to learn a lot about developing high-quality code at Google, guaranteed. Lots of experts around to help you, really great coworkers, world-famous benefits, and the expectation that you'll produce real code during your internship. I highly identify with their values and core mission, and most people there feel the same way. They also paid me a lot for an inexperienced intern.

Cons

It can feel slightly bureaucratic due to its size, but really not to a huge extent. I had maybe one 15-minute meeting per week, a couple HR things to deal with here and there, and that's it.

"Very good culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open atmosphere, flexible working hours, lots of interesting projects

Cons

Almost everyone is smart and hardworking, which creates some pressure. This is healthy for the company and the career, though.