Google Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Google intern Reviews

intern

Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 279 reviews)

• Sometimes you feel you are very alone in this big company (in 236 reviews)

"Not quite paradise, but not bad either."

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The perks and the people. Everyone knows Google so when you say you work there you don't have to explain what it means. The idea that when I checked in code to production, billions of people would be hitting it the next day - very heady.

Cons

I got pretty chubby, but that's my own fault. The brutal interview process means people who work there all think they're hot stuff even if they aren't. Downright obnoxious people work there, there are no standards for managers. Everyone is working on 5 projects so nobody pays attention to everything they need to. Ultra-competitive, passive-aggressive culture.

Advice to Management

Get out of China until you can do it right. You shouldn't have grown so fast in '05 and '06, your culture went down the drain.

"Depends on where you end up."

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The perks, food and transportation being the main ones, but there are lots of things that make it a geek's paradise if you're into that sort of thing - games everywhere, free tickets and shuttles for some movies when they open (Transformers was one), etc. Let's face it, it looks good on your resume. The chance to meet some very bright and interesting people. There are so many opportunities to educate yourself about the world through your employer - everything from tech talks on a variety of technical topics to visits by politicians and public figures. It's cool to be on the inside and learn about new products everyone else will be talking about soon.

Cons

My experience was that of an intern so it may not be typical, but I ended up doing work I had absolutely no interest in and didn't envision getting my degree for without much opportunity to do something different. When interns are recruited they don't have much of a say on what type of work they'd like to do, so if you're stuck with something you don't like and want to work on more interesting things, that's what evenings and weekends are for.

If you have a PhD you can do some fascinating things at Google, but if you just have an undergrad degree you might be better off at a smaller company where you will get more opportunities to do different kinds of work that span several job positions at Google.

Advice to Management

Products like Lively are released while some others with much more potential have been languishing in development for years. Seriously, what are you thinking?

3. "Excellent, but Stressful."

Former Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Great infrastructure, great technology, great food (bad for keeping fit though).

Cons

Slow process from idea to launch, too many hoops to run through.
    Infrastructure not easily transferable outside of Google.

Advice to Management

More efficient ways to go from ideas to launch.

"BOLD intern (non development role)"

Former Intern - BOLD Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - BOLD Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks, benefits, brand name on the resume

Cons

lack of training, lots of responsibility for interns

Advice to Management

Train your interns for specific roles. Its thier fault if they cannot figure out how to do thier job at that point.

6. "Great internship"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, great food and other perks (massages!), interesting project, good mentoring for interns, lots of events for interns.

Cons

Company is too big, as an intern interested in joining full-time it is hard to find out what other projects are that people work on. No general talks or internal project sites to look at.

"The project wasn't as exciting as it was advertised"

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern I had plenty of time to do whatever I wanted to. Also, since the project was pretty open ended, I didn't have specific deadlines to meet, except for having something to deliver at the end of the internship. My host and I were pretty much the only people who had any idea what was going on there. Other employees, however, seemed pretty tense about meeting expectations. Compensation was very good.

Cons

Office culture was annoying. A number of people hoping they would be the next Steve Jobs would deliver motivational speeches while wearing a turtleneck.

Training was what I could expect it to be. There's a lot of material that had been developed over time, in form of online tutorials, which are pretty useful at any stage. Generally, the place seemed way too large, and spreading over way too many areas for people to get an idea of what the general direction was. Also, it was hard to get attached to a particular project, particularly given that a good number of these end up in the dumpster, so it's hard to see your own contribution growing into something nice.

I wouldn't recommend to younger people to work in Mountain View. That place is boring, and unless you are willing to drive every day to San Francisco and back, there's nothing interesting going around there. Employees are pretty boring, most of them are overqualified people who ended up coding trivial stuff. Because of this, you always notice how people are trying to engage in some sort of weird competition involving things like solving mathematical puzzles and making a point about how they are the smartest employees any company could ever have.

"Software Engineering Intern"

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Food, buses, free bikes, internal tooling. The only good things about Google in my experience were the perks really.

Cons

Unfortunately, I was placed on a very boring internal project which I don't think should've been necessary in the first place. Since Google is such a truly massive company, there is a very real risk that you will spend all of your time and energy on what is essentially grunt-work to keep the massive ads machine rolling along.

9. "Software Engineer Intern"

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good welfare, free food, lots of activities, and impressed infrastructure.

Cons

Strongly feeling about no impact in company, even I finished a project that is fairly important.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say, because it is really hard to manage such big company.

"Unfair treatment"

Former Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

You can learn a lot from internal materials if you want to. Great culture.
    Perks, teammates are awesome. You can enjoy free food in lots of cafes.

Cons

Salary is fair. Work is not challenging enough. Experiences vary in different teams. Some teams are good while some teams are not.
    My manager isn't nice to me. He didn't trust me and didn't give me fair reviews. He didn't give me enough help either in my work or in my career development. I won't recommend my team to any of my friend.

Advice to Management

They might need to educate managers about how to manage a team and how to give feedbacks to the employees to help them grow.

"Google"

Current Employee - Intern in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Intern in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

-Free food

-Very young management and college-like atmosphere

-Google's market dominance and absence of significant competitors

-Potential for high salaries at the higher management levels

-Very smart people

Cons

-Low compensation for the lower positions

-Limited promotion opportunities

-Most people here are over qualified for the type of work they do, resulting in lack of challenge.

-Becoming increasingly bureaucratic as it grows, which means more budget approvals and red tape.

-Hard to diffirentiate yourself amongst all the smart people, making it harder to advance.

-The lower pay in Google is supposed to be balanced out by all the 'perks' provided to you in the office, however unless you think that someone else knows better your consumption habits, you would probably want to have the cash instead!

Advice to Management

Be more open to new ideas and encourage cross-team collaboration.

Showing 14 of 6,883 reviews