Google Reviews | Glassdoor

Google Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 288 reviews)

• Sometimes you feel you are very alone in this big company (in 242 reviews)

"Poor ethics, cult-like atmosphere"

Former Employee - Adwords Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Adwords Associate in Mountain View, CA

Pros

great side benefits, free food, nice setting for a corporation. Some of the people were nice to work with, young atmosphere

Cons

all benefits at Google are provided so as to keep you at work as long as possible. Serious egotism is a problem.

Advice to Management

Google leadership needs to remove themselves from their self created pedestal. The world would not end if Google suddenly no longer existed.

2. "Google"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

It is a very good company to work for. They provide great benefits and treat their employees well.

Cons

You must work long hours.

Advice to Management

There is no advice.

"N/A"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Innovative, unique culture - highly collaborative and relatively transparent community.

Cons

The bigger the company gets, the more difficult it is to get things done.

Advice to Management

Difficult to navigate career paths across different functions.

"27 years old and at a loss for what's next:"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Coming out of college, I think Google provides a huge opportunity to advance quickly, but to a point. You'll be given considerable responsibility, and paid accordingly with some pretty terrific perks.

Cons

Google is fighting the 'law of large companies', and is doing pretty well but there's a certain inevitability afoot too: Over the four years I've been there, I've noticed scaling back of perks (and also at times a sickening culture of employee entitlement), a steady rise of red tape to run a scalable service in the production environment, a certain amount of stiff corporate speak and a uptightness over branding, image, and in some cases (though definitely not all) an aversion to risk taking has to some extent dampened my enthusiasm a little bit. Still an amazing place to be though.

Advice to Management

Consider more career paths or guidance for senior engineers... I get the impression that this is where careers go to plateau. I'm 27 years old, and at this level I find myself compensated very well, and with more responsibility than I know what to do with, but I get the impression my choices are being an individual contributor for the next decade, or vying for a management spot. Even so, this is I think a problem for software engineering in general, and I think Google does a much better job at making it a liveable and enjoyable situation than any other large company I can imagine. Even so though, I'd think that a bit more effort in this area could have a noticeable impact on improving retention of experienced engineers (which is already at a pretty solid level relative to just about any other silicon valley firm).

5. "Software"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sicily Island, LA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sicily Island, LA

Pros

One of the top 10 companies in America to work for according to Fortune magazine. Its one of the best experiences that I have ever had.

Cons

This job is sometimes stressful. I cant really say anythign else about this company that is bad. Good company overall.

Advice to Management

They need to however, hire from a wide range of places. They only get graduates form one school.

"Fun Place To Work"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Great community and a great place to work. The benefits are top notch and the managers seem to generally care about the career future of their employees.

Cons

Work is all about self-starting, for good or for bad. If you don't try and create your own projects or find things to do, you will end up doing the things no one wants to do. While this is good for innovation, it makes the first few months on the job suck, as you won't know enough about the baseline to innovate anything.

Advice to Management

In finance, automation should be key. The analysts spend too much time doing things that a computer could take care of. Either purchase software to do some of the job or force internal engineering to develop new applications faster.

"great benefits, culture struggling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

projects have high visibility & impact
    work with very intelligent colleagues
    employees are well catered to

Cons

elitism and arrogance are commonplace
    low promotion rate = highly competitive
    as company grows individual work becomes less impactful

Advice to Management

rebuild the company into crossfunctional business units to regain agility

"Contractor position. I will recommend it for 6 months."

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Google has a good reputation, so it looks good on a resume.

Cons

No opportunity whatsoever towards a permanent position.

Advice to Management

Less maths, more humanity.

9. "Google Sales Organization Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Brilliant employees that are remarkably able to solve complex problems, especially in engineering. Wonderful perks and healthy work / life balance.

Cons

Sales organization is run poorly, as it contains non-sales personnel that are under-compensated. There is a bit of a cult-of-personality at the top levels (i.e. there's only one "Marissa" at Google).

Advice to Management

Google could benefit from avoiding the 'me too' fad, such as chasing after the next social network product. Google's core competencies are very strong (amazing search), and certain new focuses are working well that are of similar utilitarian purpose: Android, Apps (Gmail, Calendar, etc).

"Overworked"

Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Google takes care of almost all of your needs, from computer and ergo equipment to a ride to work, a rental car when you need it for an errand, and tons of free food. They do a great job at trying to remove any worries about life so you can focus on your job.

Cons

The downside is that you'll need to take advantage of all that because you'll be so busy with work. My experience was that doing well at Google took over my life completely while I was there, requiring me to work during the shuttle ride, at work and during lunches, on the shuttle ride home, and most evenings and weekends. When I talked to other folks inside the company, many of them agreed that they had the same experience.

Advice to Management

The company seems to be founded on the idea that if you hire smart people, you can run the company with a bottom-up, siloed strategy, and things will go well. But as the company has grown, a more top-down approach, and one that breaks down product silos, is becoming very important in order to take on major initiatives. I haven't seen the company address this growing need adequately yet.