Google Reviews | Glassdoor

5,769 reviews

Full-time Part-time

5,769 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 282 reviews)

• Sometimes you feel you are very alone in this big company (in 241 reviews)

1. "Country Manager - Google for Work"

Former Employee - Country Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Country Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture, great opportunity to move around the organisation

Cons

Company size is becoming very large, and it is becoming more corporate and less innovative on the ground.

Advice to Management

Maintain the startup culture, keep it alive.

2. "Adwords Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)

Pros

best experience in life. atleast you know where you stand in a large crowd. thank you thnk you, thank you

Cons

underlooked every contract employeeeeeeeeeeeeee. as 2nd class traveller in the organization.

Advice to Management

pls take care of lowest cadre in your office. you might get the best out of it

3. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Really smart people and nice culture

Cons

Temp role with an end date

"Ideal, if you like Corporate America"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on a resume. Having worked at Google opens many doors; and there are lots of opportunities internally. Compensation & benefits are top of the market. A majority of coworkers are smart, talented, well-intentioned people. Gyms, exercise classes, music rooms, language programs are amazing.

Go into it realizing that even though it's Google, it's still a huge corporate, lead by

Cons

The Google culture is mostly a facade. There are many programs and tools designed to foster things like psychological safety, inclusiveness, mindfulness... but they are pretty shallow. It's like they are there just because that's what "progressive" companies do. They are created, and probably managed based on data that the leaders have no idea how to interpret. It doesn't come from the heart, because AI androids don't have hearts, of course. I used a contact form to report witnessing blatant sexism by senior leaders. My report went unanswered. I contacted my HRBP to discuss a sensitive topic. S/he acted like I was just a bother.

The legendary perks have faded. Of course, the standard health/stock/retirement benefits are fantastic. But the food and fun budgets are dwindling fast.

Perhaps worst of all: like so many prestigious institutions, Google attracts people who are driven by status. The result is that you have too many with slick credentials but mediocre talent, and almost no authentic interest in industry. Then, instead of producing great work, they get along with strategic elbow-rubbing and excessive self-promotion.

Speaking of self-promotion, the performance review process is onerous and unhelpful. But not anymore than that at most big companies, from what I hear.

All that said, I'm incredibly grateful for my job, even as I plot my escape. If I were a few years younger and more amenable to the corporate lifestyle, I'd be all in for several years, at least.

Advice to Management

Foster authenticity.

5. "Good place"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

food, coffee, gym, equity, offices

Cons

politics are worse than ever

Advice to Management

hire more people

6. "It's different on the inside."

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Decent pay. Great name recognition. Interesting work. Most of the pros are related to benefits, which are still quite good despite a decline over the last 5 years.

Cons

Terrible commute if you're living in the bay, unless you can afford a +$1m home. Poor leadership and internal promotion is limited. Uneven performance management that is unclear, opaque and often seems quite arbitrary. Boys club both inside and outside the tech orgs.

Advice to Management

Develop and invest in people at the company, even and especially those who don't have the traditional ivy league + consulting background. Hold your leadership accountable for the culture they create. Listen to why people are leaving, not just the ones who are staying.

"Amazing employer with a few caveats"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and great perks

Cons

It's consensus driven culture (which has its own pros), but can sometimes feel slow to execute

"Devs - be very careful of what ladder you're on"

Former Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing developer tooling - you don't know how good it can be until you use it

Practically infinite resources - There's an internal joke around "I just want to serve five terabytes" and "I forgot how to count that low"

Everyone isn't a genius, that's overhyped, but everyone's very competent

Cons

Lots of weird corners of the company you can get stuck in.

There's a lot of engineers that find out the company classified them as something else. What's the process to move? Why, interview like an external candidate! (the dreaded ladder transfer)

Need permissions that only a few can grant (readability to commit code in a language). Depending on where you are in the company this will either be extremely easy or take months to do the simplest thing.

Transfers require good performance reviews, which means everyone moves along until they land in something which doesn't fit their skills, at which point they can never leave. There's no bad fit, just bad employees.

Look, I know I'm pretty clearly a single issue complainer, but it really is awful if you fall through the cracks.

Advice to Management

Make transferring easier, lots of people are stuck in weird spots. Don't look at your written policy around this and mistake it for what actually happens. The real rules are much more frustrating.

Figure out a different way to manage the Business / Engineering conflict. There's a constant tug of war where Engineering doesn't want to be told what to do and Business really, really wants to be able to tell them what to do. There have been a few back and forths where GBO hires a bunch of warm bodies they can micromanage for their purposes, then that loophole is changed and they can't do that anymore, so they find another one.

I get it! They have things they need. But the solution is for a mature relationship where all of eng does what business wants some of the time, rather than have most doing it none of the time and a few trapped doing nothing but that. I did maybe three net months of work in two years, all the rest was spent undoing and redoing things because of high level flailing. Did you get your money's worth from my salary and benefits? No way. Did my manager get promoted? You bet.

9. "Account Strategist"

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

Environment was always a blast

Cons

Opportunities of growth were too little

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Great perks. Great people. Most people are very smart and helpful. Learned a lot in this job.

Cons

Turning into a very big company. Not really bottom-up anymore.

Showing 5,769 of 7,037 reviews