Google Reviews | Glassdoor

5,760 reviews

Full-time Part-time

5,760 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 281 reviews)

• Sometimes you feel you are very alone in this big company (in 238 reviews)

"Google is probably the best place to work there is."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Challenging, rewarding work found nowhere else. Without going into detail, Google offers problems found nowhere else in the computer industry, in many different areas. It's also pretty easy to move from one job to another if you find you're not satisfied with what you're doing.

Cons

It's now a large company, with the downsides of that. It's growing and experiencing a certain amount of growing pains. Unfortunately, some people seem not to recognize that what works when a company is just a few hundred or a thousand employees doesn't necessarily work when the company grows to the size Google currently is.

Advice to Management

I think senior management is actually doing a good job, both managing growth within the company and dealing with the inevitable issues that arise when a company becomes as large as Google. With its growth, Google has become a target. They've dealt with this well, I think. They're also doing well in adapting to the political reality of a large corporation in the United States. _And_ they seem to have managed to retain their ethics while doing so.

"All in all, still a great place to work"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Working with talented, driven people who I can learn from every day
    Working in a place where I feel I'm making a difference.
    Working in a place where I feel I can express myself
    Great for the resume. I feel the experience I've had here will be valuable in the future
    I have had a string of excellent managers
    I get to say that I work for one of the most influential companies of our time.

Cons

It can be hard to advance from one level to the next
    Senior management can be very arrogant (I guess it's their prerogative)
    Everything is numbers driven, except when it's not

Advice to Management

Let people do what they do best.

3. "Happiest place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

* Working on cool technology
    * Pushing the envelope
    * Good work life balance as long as you keep your head on your shoulders
    * Freedom to do amazing things

Cons

* Easy to get sucked into working too hard
    * Grass roots driven efforts are less frequent then before
    * Bureaucracy is growing
    * A lot of politics for a supposedly not political space particularly senior management

Advice to Management

* Give more power and control to directors and VPs to drive initiatives forward
    * Better focus on revenue generating opportunities
    * Expand 20% time and protect it religously

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Director in Mountain View, CA

Pros

great company that treats people incredibly well by and large. The quality of people you work with day to day is just incredible -- everyone you deal with is smart, competent, has some unique skill, and brings a lot of energy to the place. I believe in what the company is doing -- yes we want to be a successful business, but we really do try to make a better consumer experience in everything we do too.

I'm stunned by the openness of the company -- good news and bad news is spread wide through various means.

I really feel extremely lucky to be at Google, as silly as that sounds. I think it's gonna be hard to work anywhere else now.

Cons

it's intense -- at senior management level, I don't know many people who don't work crazy hours and still fall further and further behind

Advice to Management

more downward communicate

"The best things about working at Google are the people and the interesting problems!"

Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The people and the problems. Saying that "the people" is the best reason to work for a company is cliche, but at Google it really is. We have some of the world's foremost experts working at Google, across a broad range of disciplines. And you get to work with these people and interact with them. Now that's fun! The second and equally good thing about working at Google is that the problems we are trying to solve are hard and interesting. Another three-tiered system is not going to solve the problems I face. They are novel and exciting.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like success is made easiest for the 20 something single people. Those of us with a family seem to be at a disadvantage. That said, I've seen much worse, and people with a family can get ahead if they have the talent and work hard.

Advice to Management

Senior management likes to talk about how open the company is with its employees. In some ways, it is. But increasingly it feels like management is out of touch with those of us in the trenches. Sometimes decisions seem to come down with motivations that are unclear and without having taken input from us on the ground. Listen and communicate more.

"Google is a great environment for software engineers"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Almost all engineers at Google are extremely talented and a pleasure to work work. There are plenty of opportunities to work on challenging problems. The hardware and resources you can apply to those problems are unmatched anywhere else in the industry. Senior Google engineers get a lot of freedom in choosing what to work on and how to work on it; managers provide leadership and overall direction but micromanagement and design by committee is strongly discouraged. The perks are great too.

Cons

Working at Google can be stressful, especially during the first 6 months when you feel like you don't know anything compared to all the folks who have been there longer. The learning curve is long and steep. The environment has lots of distractions, since everyone is in shared offices or cubicles.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing for the last ten years: grow the company and develop great new products. Don't focus on cutting expenses -- focus on the users.

"Google - is the top search result for the best job!! Definitely feeling lucky!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, company has a can do attitude. The company truly tries to do no evil seen it from the inside. Absolutely the best perks one can imagine. In house doctors, free food (really gourmet food), great technology and truly encourages innovation. People are in general respectful and work well together.

Cons

Sometimes bright people will complicate a simple problem and go into unnecessary complexity for speculative imagined reasons. Which is not desirable, makes systems unnecessarily complex. Management needs to put a roadmap before the engineer otherwise the rocket scientist engineer will starts to make the simple piece a complete rocket, which forever will need rocket scientists to maintain. Sometimes people forget the true genius is in embracing complexity only where it is needed.

Advice to Management

Sr Management sometimes ends up trying to be too technical and less of a manager. The advice is, you are good technically so you were hired at Google. But dont try to do the engineer's job, instead of doing your own job, learn how to do your job.

Managers are very respectful to the people/team in general.

"I loved it at Google!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Great people, great company culture, looked forward to going to work everyday (unbelievable, I know, but it's true).

Cons

Google hasn't yet grasped the benefits of telecommuting.

Advice to Management

Become the leader of the pack and encourage telecommuting! Be Green! Telecommuting cuts down on fuel use and cost. Huge benefit: very, very happy and loyal employees! We have all of this great technology, let's use it.

Revamp the hiring process. High GPAs are great, but it would behoove you to hire people with experience, people who are academically and socially well-rounded. Is the candidate capable of thinking on their feet? Has this candidate demonstrated the ability to get the job done? Is this candidate capable of working in a team environment? Can this candidate clearly communicate their ideas?

9. "Best job ever"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The developers I work with at Google are the smartest I've ever been around, and as a result, I've improved my own skills more in my 9 months at Google than in both of my previous jobs. The development process runs extremely smoothly, and management doesn't get in the engineers' way of creating great software. We get the best hardware to do our work on, and the non-work-related perks are wonderful... free food, great health benefits, the list goes on!

Cons

The only downside for me is that I have an hour-long commute to get to work (but it's worth it!)

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Great company to work at"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Great pay, work whenever convenient for you. The free food is simply amazing. Lots of perks like massages, micro kitchens, tech talks. The tech stops and hardware depots are great assets, you can go pick up headphones or a new keyboard and mouse for office use. The work place is very open, interaction with other employees is very easy. It is filled with very intelligent and fun people. The company is very open, you can ask questions directly to the CEO or Founders during TGIF question and answer sessions. Interns don't get nearly as much perks and benefits as full time employees, but that's expected. Google probably has one of the highest pays for interns. It is definitely one of the best places to work at.

Cons

Promotions don't seem to happen too often due to the fact that there is very short chain of command and little bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Give more incentive and encourage to do longer intern terms so they are not forced to work on small isolated projects most of time with little visibility to the rest of the engineers on the team.

Showing 5,760 of 7,023 reviews