Google Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

4.3

1,736 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 288 reviews)

• Sometimes you feel you are very alone in this big company (in 242 reviews)

"The best place I've worked and also the most demanding."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

You can't find a more well-regarded company that actually deserves the hype it gets.

You'll work on cutting edge projects / solve important issues that impact your community and the world

You'll meet interesting people who are your colleagues, managers, and senior management.

You'll open the paper and see your company in the news almost every day, and read about projects you're working on, which is a cool thing

You'll see Larry and Sergey at TGIF and you'll admire how they lead the company. They are brilliant, goofy, low key but intense, and likeable.

There are 22 cafes (more or less), the food is excellent, and it's free.

Your pay will typically be competitive, though it needs to be tweaked up a bit since the economy has improved.

Google cares about how it treats its employees.

The campus is like an academic campus in many ways.

There are tons of activities on campus, like authors speaking about their books, films after work, and gyms where you can work out - but you'll need to make sure to carve out time to do these things.

You'll get plenty of external validation from people who suddenly think you're smart and rich because you work there, even if you're not rich and you're as smart when you didn't work at Google.

If and when you leave, you'll never regret having that company on your resume. It opens doors.

The company is flexible - if you're lucky, you won't have a micromanager boss and you can be somewhat flexible in how you work - but don't get me wrong - you'll work a LOT. But you don't have to do all of it chained to your desk.

Cons

I live in SF so the commute can take between 1.5 hours to 1.75 hours each way on the shuttle - sometimes 2 hours each way on a busy day or rainy day. That means being on the bus for 3-4 hours PER DAY. It's a wired bus though which means you can work on the way to Mountain View. But it can feel brutal.

Your first year or two are really important in terms of your career at Google and they affect how you're viewed, and your ability to be promoted. You should always ask to work on high profile projects. If you don't get them, don't expect to get high ratings or get promoted. Always volunteer for cross functional group work for maximum exposure, and then work hard at those things.

You'll likely work on something that no one will explain to you and it will take you at least a year to be comfortable doing what you're working on, even if you're super quick at learning. No one has time to train you or teach you what you're doing - which is kind of hard.

After two or three years, people you started out with at Google start to get promoted. If you're not one of them, you'll wonder why and how it happened, and that process is somewhat political and not always clear.

It's a big company now. And super political. So don't be naive. Expect some people to be catty, some people to be territorial, and be prepared to be mentally tough. Don't let people see your vulnerableness. It's a Darwinistic culture with a huge dose of 30-something idealism on top which can fool you into thinking that people are easygoing - they're not. They're driven. If you're not driven, you're not going to fit in.

When you start at Google, it seems like peer reviews are super important - they are, but they are the sprinkles on the fro yo. The important thing is that your direct manager knows your work, likes your work and likes you, and then you can get promoted. If your boss doesn't like you, all the positive peer reviews in the world won't help you. Make sure you know what your boss wants, and give it to them. You will have weekly one on ones, and make sure you are addressing your performance at each one, asking if they have questions, how you can improve, can you work on cross functional projects, etc.

It's really hard to find work life balance at Google. The workload is huge. I hardly have time to work out. The commute is brutal. My family sometimes needs more from me and I can't give it. I'm still trying to find the balance. I think I need more down time than most people so I have a hard time being structured every day to fit all the things I want into my day, so a lot of things slip, like working out.

Advice to Management

Keep on NOT micromanaging - that is a huge benefit to Google. Most of us have a huge workload and we work in spikes and not chained to our desks, and we care deeply about producing, and we produce a lot. We can do that because you respect us enough to give us some freedom in how we do our jobs.

"Moving at the speed of light, burn out is inevitable"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1) Food, food, food. 15+ cafes on main campus (MTV) alone. Mini-kitchens, snacks, drinks, free breakfast/lunch/dinner, all day, errr'day.

2) Benefits/perks. Free 24:7 gym access (on MTV campus). Free (self service) laundry (washer/dryer) available. Bowling alley. Volley ball pit. Custom-built and exclusive employee use only outdoor sport park (MTV). Free health/fitness assessments. Dog-friendly. Etc. etc. etc.

3) Compensation. In ~2010 or 2011, Google updated its compensation packages so that they were more competitive.

4) For the size of the organization (30K+), it has remained relatively innovative, nimble, and fast-paced and open with communication but, that is definitely changing (for the worse).

5) With so many departments, focus areas, and products, *in theory*, you should have plenty of opportunity to grow your career (horizontally or vertically). In practice, not true.

6) You get to work with some of the brightest, most innovative and hard-working/diligent minds in the industry. There's a "con" to that, too (see below).

Cons

1) Work/life balance. What balance? All those perks and benefits are an illusion. They keep you at work and they help you to be more productive. I've never met anybody at Google who actually time off on weekends or on vacations. You may not hear management say, "You have to work on weekends/vacations" but, they set the culture by doing so - and it inevitably trickles down. I don't know if Google inadvertently hires the work-a-holics or if they create work-a-holics in us. Regardless, I have seen way too many of the following: marriages fall apart, colleagues choosing work and projects over family, colleagues getting physically sick and ill because of stress, colleagues crying while at work because of the stress, colleagues shooting out emails at midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am. It is absolutely ridiculous and something needs to change.

2) Poor management. I think the issue is that, a majority of people love Google because they get to work on interesting technical problems - and these are the people that see little value in learning how to develop emotional intelligence. Perhaps they enjoy technical problems because people are too "difficult." People are promoted into management positions - not because they actually know how to lead/manage, but because they happen to be smart or because there is no other path to grow into. So there is a layer of intelligent individuals who are horrible managers and leaders. Yet, there is no value system to actually do anything about that because "emotional intelligence" or "adaptive leadership" are not taken seriously.

3) Jerks. Sure, there are a lot of brilliant people - but, sadly, there are also a lot of jerks (and, many times, they are one and the same). Years ago, that wasn't the case. I don't know if the pool of candidates is getting smaller, or maybe all the folks with great personalities cashed out and left, or maybe people are getting burned out and it's wearing on their personality and patience. I've heard stories of managers straight-up cussing out their employees and intimidating/scaring their employees into compliance.

4) It's a giant company now and, inevitably, it has become slower moving and is now layered with process and bureaucracy. So many political battles, empire building, territory grabbing. Google says, "Don't be evil." But, that practice doesn't seem to be put into place when it comes to internal practices. :(

Advice to Management

1) Don't dismiss emotional intelligence and adaptive leadership. They're not just catch phases. You need great managers and leaders in order to build great companies and develop great employees. The people who may be brilliant at solving technical issues may not be (and are most often, not) the best candidates for management.

2) Do something about that work-ife balance. Don't just have a bunch of pow-wows and tech talks and discussions about it. Leadership should actually model it. Consider re-evaluating how work is done; what processes are in place that are inefficient and ineffective and need to be updated or removed?

3) Don't forget that there is already a pool of incredibly talented people within the company. If career development is really a goal at Google, then do it. Don't just hire from the outside. Take the time to help your employees develop their careers - then maybe you won't lose some of the great ones, and maybe you'll have prevent some of that burn out and disillusionment.

3. "Online Operations Associate"

Current Employee - Online Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Online Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, good benefits, great vibe,.

Cons

Tedious could do more team activities.

"The Best Job I've Ever Had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The smartest people I ever worked with.

Cons

My team was too big, too fast. It led to some people feeling siloed and not taking responsibility for their work.

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company with excellent products, high ethics, employee benefits, pay. Managers are rated on employee satisfaction, so pay attention to this. Coworkers are very smart, generally pleasant, and good to work with.

Cons

Very few cons. Mainly, it's getting a bit large, so it's hard to have a sense of how you are contributing. The promotion system is designed to be fair by having anonymous committees review written packets and you can self-nominate, but as a result the burden of proving you are promotable is extremely high. You (or your manager) really have to be focused on promotion, find and work on projects with the right demonstrable complexity and impact, and have extensive written documentation and peer statements to validate. The entire process can take years.

Advice to Management

Simplify the promotion system. Still allow people to self-nominate, but allow for more input and influence by people who actually work with the person, rather than handing it to an anonymous group of people who are mostly encouraged to be conservative and not promote unless they are unanimously and absolutely certain.

"Staff Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work with. Intelligent peers

Cons

none I can think of

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Compensation Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Compensation Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where do I start? From the culture, to the perks, to the resources, Google is an amazing place to work. This company is the definition of innovative and I can't wait to see what the future holds for myself and Google.

Cons

Nothing as of yet. I feel like I haven't been here long enough to see anything that's a con. Bureaucracy tends to seep into any organization if it gets large enough, but Google does a good job of battling that.

Advice to Management

Continue invest in the culture at Google. Our Googlers are what make us great and the mission we stand behind.

"The real deal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It all depends on your immediate workgroup but overall, the culture at Google is amazing as advertised. Collaborative, super bright people, and a come-as-you-are attitude. I felt like I was constantly growing.

Cons

Get in the wrong workgroup and you will find plenty of political, arrogant colleagues.

9. "Merchandiser"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent environment. There is a lot to learn from their talks and connections.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like a standard big company. There is not a collective sense of purpose.

Advice to Management

Try to approach employees more often. Get the group united and excited about the project.

"Ideal, if you like Corporate America"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on a resume. Having worked at Google opens many doors; and there are lots of opportunities internally. Compensation & benefits are top of the market. A majority of coworkers are smart, talented, well-intentioned people. Gyms, exercise classes, music rooms, language programs are amazing.

Go into it realizing that even though it's Google, it's still a huge corporate, lead by

Cons

The Google culture is mostly a facade. There are many programs and tools designed to foster things like psychological safety, inclusiveness, mindfulness... but they are pretty shallow. It's like they are there just because that's what "progressive" companies do. They are created, and probably managed based on data that the leaders have no idea how to interpret. It doesn't come from the heart, because AI androids don't have hearts, of course. I used a contact form to report witnessing blatant sexism by senior leaders. My report went unanswered. I contacted my HRBP to discuss a sensitive topic. S/he acted like I was just a bother.

The legendary perks have faded. Of course, the standard health/stock/retirement benefits are fantastic. But the food and fun budgets are dwindling fast.

Perhaps worst of all: like so many prestigious institutions, Google attracts people who are driven by status. The result is that you have too many with slick credentials but mediocre talent, and almost no authentic interest in industry. Then, instead of producing great work, they get along with strategic elbow-rubbing and excessive self-promotion.

Speaking of self-promotion, the performance review process is onerous and unhelpful. But not anymore than that at most big companies, from what I hear.

All that said, I'm incredibly grateful for my job, even as I plot my escape. If I were a few years younger and more amenable to the corporate lifestyle, I'd be all in for several years, at least.

Advice to Management

Foster authenticity.

Showing 1,736 of 7,209 reviews