Google Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

1,688 reviews

San Jose, CA Area

1,688 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often mentioned but rarely (in 279 reviews)

• Sometimes you feel you are very alone in this big company (in 236 reviews)

1. "Good benefits, Big company problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

high salary, lots of benefits

Cons

big company problems. lots of negativity

Advice to Management

manage poor performers better

"The stereotypes are true"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been in Google for 6 years, and it is really as good as people say it is.

- Culture: Very supportive and positive culture
    - Interesting technical problems
    - Smart colleagues
    - Nice perks
    - Flexible work schedule

Cons

- Complex systems. Need to do lot of work (approvals, reviews, configuration & code changes) to make even small user-facing changes.

3. "Many opportunities, but also chaotic."

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, showing initiative and leadership is welcomed and rewarded. Lot of freedom in pursing research directions.

Cons

Many teams and people. There is a good chance that there already is an entire team working on your research idea - and that you only find out after sinking months into it. Often lack of strong (leadership) vision, resulting in lack of synchronisation between teams.

Advice to Management

Be less afraid to impose your (long-term) vision - people will still feel empowered enough if they have a say in strategy (how to achieve said vision).

5. "Sales Specialist"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Although as a contractor you have free food, good benefits from my contractor, you can use the gym, and my area offer a lot of flexibility

Cons

Not a full-time google employee

Advice to Management

Bring the good contractors on board!

"Buyer Beware"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of amenities, knowledgeable people, great staff

Cons

If you are thinking about working at Google only do so as a Full Time Employee. Those of you who are thinking about going to work as a Temp/Contractor/Vendor, don't! They essentially use all TVC as outsourced labor. Managers will take all credit for your work and you will get little to no recognition and the chances of you actually becoming a FTE is probably less than 1%
    You will most likely read this and say "Hey, that won't be me! I will be better" - trust me, you won't. I worked in sales within their fastest and biggest current project driving over 9 figures in pipeline and 8 figures in closed pipeline. I onboarded multiple other employees, built out a lot of their processes and also helped create an official program of theirs all while piloting multiple other programs. What did this get me? 0
    The people who you will work with will likely be awesome, thats what makes it so hard to leave. But, the sad part is that Google is so big that even if you do well they wont notice you. The only way you get noticed is if you fit their cookie-cutter prototype. Google is no longer the Google you see in "The Intern" it is way more corporate now.
    Think you are qualified for a position? Google will find a way to block you while making it seem like you have been given an actual chance to move upwards. Even if you are actually completely qualified for a position, they would rather hire people with more elite pedigrees (college/jobs). Now, I get where they are coming from, but a pretty consistent compliant has been that these new hires have been no where near up to par. But, since Google wants to maintain its elitist image it keeps maintaining the status quo.
    Another fun aspect of Google is that during the interviews you are not actually interviewed for the role (sales - I'm fairly certain engineering is different). I was essentially asked 3 hours worth of questions on how to better Google. They will ask you "hypothetical" questions on how to better their own products that are failing. For example: I was asked on how I would monetize a free product without disrupting the consumer base - and if there was a product that was failing to meet expectations, how I would try to turn it around to drive growth. These "hypotheticals" could be directly linked to the current state that Google is in now. It wouldn't surprise me if the way Google is able to innovate and adapt to changes was through the mining of thousands of applicants brainstorms during interviews. It's actually very clever (whoever thought of it), but highly insulting.
    There are a lot of great people at Google, but unfortunately they are all beginning to leave due to the few people in leadership positions that are poisoning the well. Do I hate Google? No - its business. They gave me an opportunity and I killed it and now it has opened more doors for me else where. Unfortunately Google is disingenuous and manipulative and luckily I had enough foresight to predict what was happening to my team and myself.
    One of the most hypocritical thing about Google is their "Googliness" phrase. Many Googles (I only say "many" because I know a lot that are amazing people) are the most un-Googley people I have ever met. It blows my mind how people will tell you to be Googley and the actual Googlers are the most underhanded people you will meet. If you're smart enough you will be able to spot these sneaky snakes.
    If you are being offered a job as a TVC at Google don't take it unless you are OK with no upward mobility. The food and amenities will be a trap that will keep you there. Get out while you can. Google will always be around because its got the $$$. I do think Google is still an amazing company doing amazing things, but with whole switch to trying to be more Enterprise 2 Enterprise focused it has become a cesspool of filth due to corporate snakes hiring other snakes.
    Buyer Beware

Advice to Management

Put competent people in leadership positions instead of people who you feel can scratch your back in the future. I guess that would assume that the people in positions of power actually had a conscious, which they do not.

"Great place, but LONG commute"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Awesome people - can not say this enough!
    - Cool projects to work on

Cons

- Recent management changes (Ruth, Sundar) are definitely changing the company culture. Its not entirely bad changes, just different than before.
    - Long commute from San Francisco with minimal flexibility. Company is losing good employees as they move their offices further south to Sunnyvale or San Jose. Longer commutes on buses are taking major tolls on employees health (back pain, tech neck). Physical Therapists, Chiropractors, and Massage Therapists are basically acting as a triage department for these issues.
    - Can be hard to switch between job "ladders" if you don't love your current field

Advice to Management

- Enforce a better commute/life balance policy for employees. You've developed hangouts, make it company culture that this form of communication is 100% acceptable so that your employees don't keep hurting themselves physically during a daily 3 hour round-trip commute.

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with a lot of talented people, which helped raise my own skills.

Cons

The hours can be long and the expectations high.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping your employees happy.

9. "Great learning & work life balance"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Get to learn a lot, not just technical things but non-technical things as well. For eg. how a company can keep growing and have culture to attract the best talent.

Cons

- There is bureaucracy at places.
    - Culture of innovation seems to be fading.

Advice to Management

Focus more on experimentation and innovation.

10. "Still a very good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Full of talented people. Good development environment.

Cons

Company got a bit large. Often it's hard to get visibility of the projects or accomplishments.

11. "HR"

Current Employee - HRBP in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - HRBP in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, excellent benefits, and exciting work.

Cons

Less structure for clear career trajectories

Advice to Management

Clear career trajectories

Showing 1,688 of 6,900 reviews