Google Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

United Kingdom

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be very challenging (in 263 reviews)

• Becoming a big company, even culture wise (in 224 reviews)

"Fantastic and infuriating at once: like some of the best love affairs..."

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

The quality of the people and the ambitiousness of what we're doing is quite something. I've seen a lot of other companies from the outside, as a former strategy consultant, and Google's more extraordinary than a lot of those on the inside realise. The culture's very transparent (though that may reflect function / geography) and impressively flat. Which isn't to say there aren't title and salary differences, but that fantastic people with lowly titles are given the space and encouragement to do fantastic things.

Cons

As the organisation grows, the 'flatness' of it makes it pretty exhausting: there are too many other people and functions to deal with, and very little opportunity to delegate responsibility. A corollary of is that you're valued and recognised in proportion to how you're viewed by those many other people, which favours those who're noisiest. Self-promotion and internal marketing for yourself and your projects is (usually) something you need to take time over if you're going to do well here, and that's a pity because it's mostly unproductive - in the sense that the company or the projects don't improve much for you shouting about them.

Advice to Management

There's been a lot of work, this calendar year, on improving internal mobility between roles and functions and that's admirable. Now that horizontal mobility's being addressed properly, it's time for a fresh look at vertical mobility. It's not an easy problem: it's very difficult to combine what's best about the culture (that it's flat and that people are not micro-managed, at least in Marketing / Product / Eng) with highly-objective and insightful reviews by managers: those managers just don't have enough data to go on. But it still feels like there's improvement potential here. Another, unrelated suggestion: the free-wheeling, bottom-up approach to product strategy and prioritisation we have isn't cutting it any more. There are fundamental issues with a lot of the products we're hoping to make money out of or drive adoption for, and those issues are being addressed too slowly. We're betting too generously on too many products, as well.

For all the whingeing, though, senior management are very impressive and really care about making it a good place. They're also smart and open-minded enough to make changes fast in the face of data telling them something's not working here.

"Frankly, I can't imagine myself working anywhere else, now that I know this place."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

Pros

First of all: I have an infinite respect for the founders, their ethics, the kind of culture they infused in the company and the continuous (positive) influence that they have on how it's operated. I also admire deeply Eric Schmidt, both as a motivator and as the provider of a very strong vision and leadership. The openness, the infinite possibilities for feedback, and the attitude to listening to that feedback and try to convert it in meliorative actions is something that makes me think I wouldn't work anywhere else. Of course no company is perfect, but frankly I have a hard time trying to imagine a company working better than this one, at least for what concerns employee lifestyle, work-life balance, career possibilities, open communication, etc.

Cons

Sometimes it seems that the company loses sight of some of its activities, which results in duplication and scarce integration of efforts. Also, not everything is "interesting cutting edge technological work", at Google: sometimes very smart people have to do very boring jobs, because the areas that bring the higher income are also the most established, less innovative and most "traditional", in terms of what kind of work activities they need.

Advice to Management

Sometimes a part of the engineering management seems more interested in low-value formal things (such as enforcing readability and code conventions) than to provide a great unifying vision for our products.

"Awesome place - not sure I should have left ;)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

The work environment and the benefits are legendary and are really as good as everyone says. The *free* food is phenomenal, although I must have put on a stone and a half in my time there! The culture is exciting, the work interesting, and you really do impact millions of people around the world. Many events and theme days make going to work fun and it's really much more than your average company. Still proud to say I worked there

Cons

An expectation that you will work all hours of the day - breakfast, lunch and dinner is provided for a reason. Not the best salary in the world, but everything else that's great about the place makes up for that. There's a bit of "that's not out remit" discussion between departments, which can lead to things not being picked up.

Advice to Management

Don't really have any I'm afraid

"good place to work, but turning corporate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

great respect for employees, amazing colleagues, good work environment. Generally, a lot happens and once you gained credibility, you can change and move within the company to pursue new opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes it can take too long to be promoted or get where you want to go. Company is also turning more corporate away from the start up mentality. Very centralized decision making makes it difficult to get things done locally.

Advice to Management

decentralize decision making back to local entities; shake things up a bit in the top. allow decision making even if not based on consensus. allow for more engineering support where necessary.

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

greatest company to work for

Cons

none that are worth publicly complaining about

Advice to Management

Keep going

7. "Outstanding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Big problems to deal with

Cons

Hard work if you are not based in MTV (this may not be the case if you are not in engineering)

"It is great here, perfect work life balance"

Current Intern - APMM Intern in London, England (UK)
    Current Intern - APMM Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Facilities, people, tasks, it all makes you feel special and willing to work there. You can feel the responsibility and create legacy.

Cons

sometimes it's a lot of work, sometimes food is worse at the canteen. It is really hard to find something which works wrong there

Advice to Management

more exposure to employees of lowest levels

9. "Amazing internship"

Former Intern - Web Developer Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Web Developer Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great smart helpful people
    Lot of freedom.
    Lots of perks.

Cons

On weekend you suddenly realize that you have to pay for food!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. "Awesome"

Former Intern - Member of Technical Staff in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Member of Technical Staff in London, England (UK)

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The best, who could argue anything else.

Cons

Nothing, just don't go to facebook. Oh wait...

Advice to Management

What can I say

"The best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work environment, you get to learn a lot, especially in the beginning, huge scale of the projects, incredibly smart people, cool office space, perks (stock option and bonuses) and (healthy and yummy!) food. Variety of domains and products, you can always find something for yourself if you decide to change the project.

Cons

Difficult to get a promotion (you may get frustrated after a while), often have to work late, working from home is rarely an option, not so many career opportunities outside Mountain View, the most interesting projects are focused there.

Advice to Management

Reward long term and experienced employees.

Showing 279 of 6,558 reviews