Gopher Sport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Todd Jennings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great products, Wonderful mission"

I worked at Gopher Sport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team members at Gopher Sport are wonderful and care about the customers and mission of the organization. Customers come first at Gopher Sport, it was a joy to serve them.

Cons

Too many performance metrics in some areas of the business and not enough in other areas. The departments are too siloed and do not collaborate well - conflicting goals and metrics.

Advice to Management

You hire great people especially at the leadership level. Let them lead and work together to determine a great path for the future.

2. "Happy to be a part of Gopher Sport"

I have been working at Gopher Sport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gopher Sport works hard to create an enjoyable work place and to take care of its employees. Some of the pros include willingness to invest in individual continued education/training, ethical business practices, fun company events, friendly corporate culture, annual performance review/compensation increase program and a manageable work-life balance. Gopher Sport has great retirement benefits that are hard to beat and although a smaller company, has opportunities for career growth. There are also other perks like a free onsite fitness center, involvement in local community events and holiday/birthday/anniversary gifts and sometimes bonuses based on achieving corporate goals. I am happy to be a part of Gopher Sport and the Owatonna community!

Cons

I think most of the cons are problems you will find as struggles within any company like too many meetings, conflicting goals, communication/execution issues of cross-functional projects and lack of accountability within certain areas. I think the daily demands and supervision styles can vary greatly between departments which may leave some employees unhappy with their experience at Gopher Sport.

Advice to Management

It seems most of the negative reviews here are from previous disgruntled employees but maybe looking closer to understand the root of the frustration could be helpful? There are some opportunities Gopher Sport could consider to improve recruiting and employee retention such as flexible work schedules, summer hours, work from home, job-sharing and/or part-time schedules. Continue communicating on annual/quarterly goals and corporate performance cross functionally to ensure everyone is moving in the same direction and understands why we do what we do.

3. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owatonna, MN

I have been working at Gopher Sport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great benefits starting out and more after year 1
    -Great managers and co-workers
    -Fun products and always expanding

Cons

-Work gets passed off
    -Siloed departments
    -Owatonna is not a good place for most millenials/people younger than 40

Advice to Management

Try to streamline all departments so it's not so siloed.

"Great experience! Great work place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owatonna, MN

I have been working at Gopher Sport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have really enjoyed working at Gopher! I have been challenged with career goals that seemed nearly impossible at the time, but have allowed me to rethink processes and become more efficient. This has been very rewarding.

Management has allowed me to grow in my position and have listened to my ideas and value my input. The employees at Gopher Sport are awesome! It's a great work environment. I have made some really good friends here.

I truly feel like like my boss cares about my well-being and future with the company.

Cons

I will often take my work home with me and put in extra time.

Too much emphasis is placed on department goals that it hinders the ability collaborate. Departments work in silos. Goals continue to increase year after year until you either burn out or fail.

Owatonna is not a good place to live for a young adult.

Advice to Management

Continue to let your employees grow, learn and follow their passion. Reach out to employees beyond the management team to gather ideas for department/company direction.

"good place to learn what not to do and to get some experience before getting a real job"

I have been working at Gopher Sport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

company is great about allowing employees to go to school events. better than most in the area. fairly flexible hours. plenty of PTO for time off. no real strenuous jobs in any department other than customer service.

Cons

compartmentalization even within departments. managers are slowly creating an environment where people do simple tasks and are encouraged not to think for themselves. The CEO's perception that turnover is good has cultivated an office that is more akin to a Jr. high school than a professional company; contradicts everything i learned about businesses environments while in college. employees in the customer service area literally have to raise their hands to get permission to go to the restroom. insurance and benefits are substandard even for this rural area.

Advice to Management

in desperate need of a better leader. eliminate the dead weight at the top and get real managers. or better yet, go to a manager-less environment. the dynamic at Gopher would make it an ideal place for it, saving the company many thousands of Dollars and would improve moral and productivity. also, bring back at least a semblance of professionalism in the dress code. All the untucked shirts and sloppy attire is embarrassing when visitors come in and look around,

"Customer Advocate Position"

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Owatonna, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Owatonna, MN

I worked at Gopher Sport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Privately-Owned, fun products, fast-paced environment

Cons

Micro-managed, not a lot of advancement, low pay

Advice to Management

Take into consideration employee suggestions, stop micro-managing

"Not good"

Pros

has potential to be a great company.

Cons

Lots of pre-employment screening. What they were looking for did not match the job or expectations.

"It was ok"

Former Employee - Marketing in Owatonna, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Owatonna, MN

Pros

Very friendly staff. Flexible with days needed off

Cons

I never had anything to do and didn't help me find anywhere to live with no compensation for it. Pay was also low to most inernships

Advice to Management

Have more things to do for interns

"Ecommerce Intern"

Pros

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Great company culture. Laid back but got the job done.

Cons

I didn't feel as though the strategies implemented were in line with the company's goals.

"Customer Advocate"

Pros

Mostly great co-workers. So much turn around you get to know a ton of good people.

Cons

Unfair employment practices, it all depends if your leaders like you or not. If they do, you might me treated respectfully. If they do not, they will do whatever they have to, to push you out the door. The call center is the hardest working department in the whole company - yet, treated like 2nd class citizens or worse. Very sad. We have leaders who know less than the employees who work for them and the leaders are make's the big bucks and flaunt it.

Advice to Management

Clean up your management. Moral is very low right now....do some house cleaning and bring in some real leaders.