Gordmans Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Hall

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance isn't the greatest sometimes, don't get time back for working extra (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay for what you had to deal with (in 18 reviews)

1. "fired me without telling me"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fenton, MO

I worked at Gordmans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

was okay money for the job it was

Cons

stopped scheduling me for a month
    late notice scheduling
    did not give me hours

Advice to Management

if someone is doing something wrong , talk to them instead of not scheduling them until they are forced to find a different job

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Gordmans full-time

Pros

The employee discount was somewhat beneficial if applied to clearance merchandise.

Cons

I was recruited to this company with the implied vision that employees were given the flexibility to work hard, grow, and excel with this company, but soon after beginning, the excitement for the opportunity began to fall apart. At every step, senior leadership in the company is ready to belittle any employee that has an idea or vision that competes with what the CEO or VP considers to be "standard practice," no matter how obvious those practices are failing. This company, and it's leadership, is stuck in the brick and mortar mentality of the department stores of your grandparents' era. The ego of the CEO and VP, have taken center stage over any ideas or motivation shown by employees at store level. Their inability to listen to recommendations bases on actual trends in the store have put them on the path they are on now....bankruptcy. District managers would rather belittle employees, than to take any suggestions to heart, and come up with solutions to move the company forward. Employee training, advancement, and merchandising is a complete disaster. No matter how many hours you work in order to complete the ridiculous expectations of the company, your efforts go without notice. Even being flexible, by going to other stores for weeks on end because managers have quit without notice, has no reward here. Many employees make minimum wage for management-esque positions that are paid double at any other retailer. Don't waste your time here.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership of this company has no idea what it takes to run these stores, as they were all recruited to the top from other companies. Without training and development, this company will continue to lose prized employees to other competition, turnover will continue to be a top store expense, and customer satisfaction will remain low, without some sort of turn-around. The quality of the clothing and merchandise also needs to be taken up a notch in order to reach the prices the company expects consumers to pay.

"Avoid At All Costs!!!"

Former Intern - Recruiting Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Intern - Recruiting Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gordmans as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-20% discount
    -Headquarters in developing area (good location)

Cons

-Unchallenging and repetitive work - no real world applicability
    -This is a call-center part time job, not an internship
    -Interns are very micro-managed
    -They promote this modern and flexible work environment but actually enact something completely opposite
    -Hypocritical management - very "do as I say, not as I do" attitude
    -Terminate people after they put in their 2-weeks resignation
    -Job description grossly misrepresents the actual role

Advice to Management

-Many changes need to be made to improve not only the culture and work environment, but the quality of work itself. The job description for this internship grossly misrepresents the work itself (it is a call center job) with juvenile goals and measures of success. "Interns" are micro-managed and not trained for real world problems or work. Please improve.

5. "No raises or any benefits!"

Current Employee - Guest Services in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    The associatiates at the store are amazing, including the managers. Corporate, not so much, all they care about is money.
    20% staff discount, I hardly buy anything from there so it wouldn't have mattered if they didnt have any but I had to mention this since some people do enjoy that discount.

Cons

No raises, for all the time I worked there I got no raises, not even a penny, experienced people who work hard for them for over a year or even years get nothing apparently, unless it's just me and I don't know it, yet new people come in and get paid more, great...
    No recognition to speak of.
    No holidays, everyone has to work on holidays and the store doesn't close at any holiday except for Christmas (if at all), we work overnight on thanksgiving/Black Friday and for very long hours.
    No benefits at all for part timers, literally nothing.

Advice to Management

Store management can't do anything, while they do need to do more recognition yet everything else is out of their hands, all issues remain unsolved, but once again from my experience there I can tell that all corporate cares about is money!

"Poor management at corporate office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Corporate office location is decent. Updated office to work in and has good parking. Other than that the are really none.

Cons

Management is terrible. Not only is everyone passive aggressive, they are rude and it's very cliquey. They need to bring younger people into the company, everyone is old and they are probably paying them way too much when they could pay someone younger less to do a better job. The HR department is full of rude employees who are uptight. Very poor communication. Would never recommend this employer to anyone else.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!

7. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Gordmans (Less than a year)

Pros

The good part about working for Gordmans was the discount wich was not that great.

Cons

The management was awful, run while you can

"A sad state of affairs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Gordmans (More than a year)

Pros

Love this store, in theory - eclectic mix of fun merchandise. Prices are awesome.

Cons

No training, low pay, no accountability. People don't show up regularly causing the staff that does show up to be over-worked and under-appreciated. They don't call in replacements - why??? Too much merchandise, not enough room. Overstock merchandise on racks and carts on the floor in guests way.

Advice to Management

They need to have double the staff for Christmas. The store is a mess and the associate moral is in the toilet. Might be time for a new leader...

"Horrible!"

Current Employee - Accessories Lead in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Accessories Lead in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent discount. That's the only good thing about this place.

Cons

Horrible hours, rude guest, not enough pay, you have to do pretty much everything yourself, understaffed.

Advice to Management

You need to get with the program and figure out how to run the stores!

"Meh..."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Broken Arrow, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at Gordmans (More than a year)

Pros

Former CEO Jeff Gordman and former VP of stores were incredible. They created a company of vision and inclusion. The stores have a cool look.

Cons

Gordmans has taken the same road MANY retailers have...cut payroll, cut costs, hire mediocre staff, See picture do picture. Won't be long before robots will run retail.

Advice to Management

People make retail great!

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gordmans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like home decorations and fragrances this is a great place to work and get a discount. Prices are low and they are always getting new items in weekly.

Cons

Long hours, little to no training, no money to staff the store, and a corporate office that constantly changes policy.

Advice to Management

Before you launch a new policy, procedure, etc. that was created by someone at a desk in the corporate office, ask the store teams for their feedback and viability of procedure. It will save a lot of time not having to re-launch policies several times.