Gordmans Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 27, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Hall

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay for what you had to deal with (in 17 reviews)

• Work life balance isn't the greatest sometimes, don't get time back for working extra (in 9 reviews)

1. "guests"

I have been working at Gordmans part-time

Pros

January February means easy work

Cons

Only getting 10 hours a week

2. "Sales associate"

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, friendly co-workers. flexible schedule most of the time.

Cons

Questionable fraternization, some unprofessional behavior/language without consequences

3. "A Good First Job, Very Poor Management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Gordmans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Due to high turnover, lots of room do learn the different tasks about retail and department stores. A decent discount that can be applied to sale and clearance items. Day Hours available during high volume times. A Good first job as they hire anyone, lots of closing shifts that work with high school schedules.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate. I worked there for 2 years and went through 4 leads, 3 lead managers, and 2 store managers. The associates I worked with usually were either there for 3+ years or 3 months, there was no in between. Extremely poor management, I only got one raise of $ .50 and I was doing Guest Service tasks, Key tasks, I was training new hires and I was helping with department lead since we did not have one for a while. They were supposed to do a review of associates every 6 months but in the 2 years I was there I got 2, which is 50% of the communication I should have gotten. The buyers for Gordmans were constantly behind on trends and we had things on sale racks for years, i literally mean years. The Gordmans franchise has tried to diversify their brands by adding their Contemporary line, but other than that the merchandise is outdated and cheap. The training process was extremely rushed and poor, seasonal hires (when I was there) barely got any loss prevention training and service training, I was the one training them on the floor and thats all the training they got. If you were closing we would be there until 11 or Midnight due to always being short staffed. Overall, there was never a time I felt like we were well-staffed, we were always short-staffed which meant associates were doing 100 things at once and theft was extremely high. Corporate was always coming in and yelling at the managers. The product merchandising was horrible.

Advice to Management

A more comprehensive hiring process, managers and leads that are successful merchandisers and have sensible knowledge of sales. Buyers in corporate need to step up out of 2007. More staff, a better work environment, more practical floor sets and revamped advertising.

5. "operations manager"

Pros

Provides great management experience for new graduates.

Cons

It's Retail! Nights, Weekends and Holidays

6. "Started out great but management was poor and working conditions slowly got worse as the holiday season approached."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wausau, WI

I worked at Gordmans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, very pleasant to be around
    Associate discount- 20%
    As a part-time worker, requesting days off was very easy

Cons

Poor management
    Poor scheduling: was always calling in to have hours changed because they did not fall within my availability
    Very chaotic: there was never just a calm day
    Under-staffed a majority of the time: I was very often closing a greater portion of the store by myself- a job that normally is done by 2-3 associates.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to hours of availability when scheduling. Don't under-staff. Don't discard responsibilities onto the Leads.

7. "Best suited for high schoolers and seasonal work"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Avon, IN
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Avon, IN

I worked at Gordmans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

20% Employee discount was plenty for clearance gal. Cleaning/organizing was frowned upon.

Cons

Old management was horrific/brutal. Turnover was insane. 20ish people in a few months. unprofessional and promoted laziness.

Advice to Management

Heard of new management. Happy for the company and praying they stay strong and enthusiastic.

8. "Ik"

Pros

Blah don't want to write anything just want to see others so let me see so please do that for me

Cons

9. "Management sucks, okay first job"

Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent discount 20% off
    Great co-workers, a super friendly environment
    Decent hours even for a seasonal employee
    A pretty good first-time job

Cons

MANAGEMENT some like to play favorites and make life frustrating for anyone they don't like, makes it even harder on the managers that actually care and do a good job.
    Schedules come out 2 days before(and almost never on time) the new week starts and only for that week, makes scheduling doctor appointments or anything else frustrating and difficult, another failure of management.
    Training was awful, the manager in charge of orientation left us in the middle of it, for over an hour and a half, alone in the break room. None of us got any real training besides a crash course on how to use a register and a tour of the store.

Advice to Management

Ineffective managers make associate lives that much harder. Get your acts together and lead the team. Fire them if need be.

"Co-Manager"

Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I have been in many stores with Gordmans and the people who work for you are generally great. You will always be busy and even on slow periods there is something to do.

Cons

Company just restructured the store management teams to be more profitable and that has led to a negative environment in some of the assistant managers in some locations. Gordmans executive team is fairly new across the board and seems lost at times as what to do to turn around a struggling company. Corporate communications is horrible between the sales teams and the loss prevention teams. Sales teams show support for LP on the surface but behind their back will tell you to overlook LP direction when they are not around. LP acts like they are from a different company and only what they want is important. Shoes is a leased depart from DSW who wants things there way but the executive sales team will tell you not to worry about what the DSW reps want done. As a co-manager you have to work with the executive sales teams, LP teams and DSW reps but none of them communicate with each other and will step on each others toes when given the chance. Major dysfunction and lack of communication at the corporate level with no clear vision as to what the company identity is.

Advice to Management

Sit down and figure out what you want Gordmans to be. A every day value retailer or a department store. Better distribution of merchandise throughout the stores, go to my store and we are overflowing with merchandise to the point of unshopable then go 20 minutes to the next store and it looks like it is going to close. Trying to fit 100 pair of jeans on a fixture designed to fit 40 pair does not work. Then complaining when you over fill the store that it looks like crap is unfair.

11. "sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Gordmans part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Fun place to work. Great discount. 20%.

Cons

Very Low pay rate.