Gordmans Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Andrew Hall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance isn't the greatest sometimes, don't get time back for working extra (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay for what you had to deal with (in 18 reviews)

1. "Unethical Management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sioux City, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sioux City, IA

Pros

Fairly painless setting a schedule which works with other outside commitments.
    Always willing to increase hours when the payroll funds are available.

Cons

Scheduling mistakes are constant, though easy to correct.
    Promotions are secret, no invitations to interview.
    A 23-year employee was terminated with a trumped-up charge because she made enough wages to jeopardize the Store Manager's bonus.
    There is no external reporting agency to contact with ethical concerns.
    The "good old boys" club is alive and well here. Outsiders remain that way.

Advice to Management

Speaking with any of the managers should be enough. As it is, other managers remain ignorant of conversations held with one manager, and agreements are never honored.

"Private company- tanked when became publicly traded"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lexington, KY

Pros

20% Employee discount. Friendly Associates.

Cons

Zero work life balance. Expected to put the company's needs above the needs of family. Do not care about associates, other than how much work they can do. Little or no support from upper management. High Management turnover in this area. Make promises upon hire of people that they do not keep. Only remember the ADA in respect to shoppers, ignore it when applied to associates.

Advice to Management

Put your own "core values" into action.

"Great resume builder, then look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

Closed the 3 big holiday's-- Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Great 1st job out of college as a resume builder. The fellow associates are great.

Cons

The burnout rate at Gordmans is about 2 years. The first 6 months the corporate people will leave you alone, then after that period expires, they treat you like you don't deserve the priviledge to work for them. The home office people here in Omaha are the only people that have a "work/life balance". The Store Managers worry more about payroll than covering the sales floor. There are never enough sales people on the floor and the store gets trashed. Working on a Friday, Sat, or Sunday you can expect to ring on the register all night long. The fitting room returns pile up, and it takes up to 3 hours after close to properly do returns and recovery.

Advice to Management

Allow more hours for the stores. Walmart, Kohls, or Target NEVER look as bad as Gordmans does on any given weekend, and they do more business. Respect the employees and say THANKS now and again. The visits from the DM's should be ones of learning, and not just tearing down.

4. "Retail Boot Camp"

Current Employee - Department Lead in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Department Lead in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

The assocaites, we have a good time and get the job done.

Cons

Too focused on associates 'wasting time' instead of guests.
    Payroll is cut to far from any other company, 1 person can be responsible for up to 3 departments at time of close.
    No work, life balance
    Always overlooked for promotions, they always hire from outside even after promising promotions for years.

Advice to Management

Look at giving on payroll some to help on sales floor to push sales.

5. "They do not care for the well being of their employees"

Current Employee - Freight Handler in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Freight Handler in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gordmans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set scheduled and regular days off.

Cons

Poor pay, no training standards, ware house is a nitemare for harassment

Advice to Management

Do not believe what they say they will not follow through. HR is dishonest and you will not get any promotion or pay increase during your first 90 days despite whatever they say.

6. "Not a great place or company to work for, look for somewhere else"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gordmans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much of any pros with this company

Cons

do not care of employees, pay is horrible, no work life balance.

Advice to Management

get new management, especially senior management

7. "When you start to make to much money they try and pin stuff on you , fire you and have no proof!!!"

Current Employee - N/A in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - N/A in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gordmans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a job! That is all I can say!

Cons

Managers have favoritism. Do not care about employees unless you are kissing their butt or sleeping with someone of management. Will work you without breaks and lunches but than will have you sign as though you have taken a lunch. EEOC needs to be called in on them! Point blank I could go on and on but stay clear of this place.

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees dont put a front on for the cameras or the community!!

"Eight Years Wasted"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Gordmans part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Discounts on purchases was an advantage.

Cons

So many I could write a book. The president "DOES NOT LISTEN" as stated on comment cards.
    I wrote a nice letter after I left and never even got a response from Jeff Gordmans when mentioning suggestions for improvements. The SAD coupon cards are to distribute to other merchants to hand out to their customers. Gordmans make you pay for your own gas distributing coupons around town and on your own time . It is stressed by managers to have 100% participation. and yet other retail stores coupons are NOT accepted by Gordmans. The pay is low and generally unhappy employees. Glad to get out of there. This past month several wonderful long term employees left as they had had enough. Also having two stores in one town can create manager problems as they do not have the same outlines to employees causing disputes between employees.

Advice to Management

I realize being a manager is difficult at time, but more respect for employees would go a long way and more employees would want to stay.

"Not Worth Your Time"

I worked at Gordmans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is great when it comes to great merchandise and pricing.

Cons

They have no idea how to treat their employees. There is no communication between Management, the Department Leads, and the part time associates. I was finding out changes to policy, management, anything really at least 2 weeks after implementation. You will not be informed of any complaints against you in order to defend yourself until at least a month after the fact. You are also no allowed to have any sort of depression. I was told that if I was ever depressed at work again, they would fire me. I have worked for several different retailers over the years and yet I have never once been told anything like that. I was never once pulled to the side and asked if I was ok or if there was a problem. They just make sure to document anything and everything they can to get rid of you as quickly as possible. I was also told that my opinion didn't matter several times.

Advice to Management

If you want your employees to do well in their jobs you need to communicate and not be so negative. You complain about bad attitudes but you have bad ones yourself. When you have a nasty attitude then your associates will follow suit. Fix yourself before you try to fix someone else. Your employees have valuable input and telling them that their opinion doesn't matter is so wrong.

"Underpaid and expected to do too much."

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gordmans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros to this job.

Cons

Expected to never take a day off, not good place for growth in pay.

Advice to Management

Don't put all of your work unto your employees, if you expect them to do your levels of work, expect to raise their pay.