Gordmans Reviews | Glassdoor

Gordmans Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay for what you had to deal with (in 18 reviews)

• Work life balance isn't the greatest sometimes, don't get time back for working extra (in 9 reviews)

1. "Started out great but management was poor and working conditions slowly got worse as the holiday season approached."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wausau, WI

I worked at Gordmans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, very pleasant to be around
    Associate discount- 20%
    As a part-time worker, requesting days off was very easy

Cons

Poor management
    Poor scheduling: was always calling in to have hours changed because they did not fall within my availability
    Very chaotic: there was never just a calm day
    Under-staffed a majority of the time: I was very often closing a greater portion of the store by myself- a job that normally is done by 2-3 associates.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to hours of availability when scheduling. Don't under-staff. Don't discard responsibilities onto the Leads.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Gordmans full-time

Pros

The employee discount was somewhat beneficial if applied to clearance merchandise.

Cons

I was recruited to this company with the implied vision that employees were given the flexibility to work hard, grow, and excel with this company, but soon after beginning, the excitement for the opportunity began to fall apart. At every step, senior leadership in the company is ready to belittle any employee that has an idea or vision that competes with what the CEO or VP considers to be "standard practice," no matter how obvious those practices are failing. This company, and it's leadership, is stuck in the brick and mortar mentality of the department stores of your grandparents' era. The ego of the CEO and VP, have taken center stage over any ideas or motivation shown by employees at store level. Their inability to listen to recommendations bases on actual trends in the store have put them on the path they are on now....bankruptcy. District managers would rather belittle employees, than to take any suggestions to heart, and come up with solutions to move the company forward. Employee training, advancement, and merchandising is a complete disaster. No matter how many hours you work in order to complete the ridiculous expectations of the company, your efforts go without notice. Even being flexible, by going to other stores for weeks on end because managers have quit without notice, has no reward here. Many employees make minimum wage for management-esque positions that are paid double at any other retailer. Don't waste your time here.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership of this company has no idea what it takes to run these stores, as they were all recruited to the top from other companies. Without training and development, this company will continue to lose prized employees to other competition, turnover will continue to be a top store expense, and customer satisfaction will remain low, without some sort of turn-around. The quality of the clothing and merchandise also needs to be taken up a notch in order to reach the prices the company expects consumers to pay.

3. "Best suited for high schoolers and seasonal work"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Avon, IN
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Avon, IN

I worked at Gordmans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

20% Employee discount was plenty for clearance gal. Cleaning/organizing was frowned upon.

Cons

Old management was horrific/brutal. Turnover was insane. 20ish people in a few months. unprofessional and promoted laziness.

Advice to Management

Heard of new management. Happy for the company and praying they stay strong and enthusiastic.

5. "Management sucks, okay first job"

Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Seasonal Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent discount 20% off
    Great co-workers, a super friendly environment
    Decent hours even for a seasonal employee
    A pretty good first-time job

Cons

MANAGEMENT some like to play favorites and make life frustrating for anyone they don't like, makes it even harder on the managers that actually care and do a good job.
    Schedules come out 2 days before(and almost never on time) the new week starts and only for that week, makes scheduling doctor appointments or anything else frustrating and difficult, another failure of management.
    Training was awful, the manager in charge of orientation left us in the middle of it, for over an hour and a half, alone in the break room. None of us got any real training besides a crash course on how to use a register and a tour of the store.

Advice to Management

Ineffective managers make associate lives that much harder. Get your acts together and lead the team. Fire them if need be.

"Co-Manager"

Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Store Co-Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I have been in many stores with Gordmans and the people who work for you are generally great. You will always be busy and even on slow periods there is something to do.

Cons

Company just restructured the store management teams to be more profitable and that has led to a negative environment in some of the assistant managers in some locations. Gordmans executive team is fairly new across the board and seems lost at times as what to do to turn around a struggling company. Corporate communications is horrible between the sales teams and the loss prevention teams. Sales teams show support for LP on the surface but behind their back will tell you to overlook LP direction when they are not around. LP acts like they are from a different company and only what they want is important. Shoes is a leased depart from DSW who wants things there way but the executive sales team will tell you not to worry about what the DSW reps want done. As a co-manager you have to work with the executive sales teams, LP teams and DSW reps but none of them communicate with each other and will step on each others toes when given the chance. Major dysfunction and lack of communication at the corporate level with no clear vision as to what the company identity is.

Advice to Management

Sit down and figure out what you want Gordmans to be. A every day value retailer or a department store. Better distribution of merchandise throughout the stores, go to my store and we are overflowing with merchandise to the point of unshopable then go 20 minutes to the next store and it looks like it is going to close. Trying to fit 100 pair of jeans on a fixture designed to fit 40 pair does not work. Then complaining when you over fill the store that it looks like crap is unfair.

7. "You're clearly, easily replaced"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Gordmans part-time

Pros

Meet great people, many of which are your co-workers

Cons

Low pay, difficult to raise. Your hard work often goes unnoticed by management. If it is noticed, it's nearly impossible to be rewarded for it or gain any status in the company. After being a loyal associate for over a year, not one manager even commented on my leaving other than why. You're so easily replaced, and you'll feel that way.

8. "No raises or any benefits!"

Current Employee - Guest Services in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    The associatiates at the store are amazing, including the managers. Corporate, not so much, all they care about is money.
    20% staff discount, I hardly buy anything from there so it wouldn't have mattered if they didnt have any but I had to mention this since some people do enjoy that discount.

Cons

No raises, for all the time I worked there I got no raises, not even a penny, experienced people who work hard for them for over a year or even years get nothing apparently, unless it's just me and I don't know it, yet new people come in and get paid more, great...
    No recognition to speak of.
    No holidays, everyone has to work on holidays and the store doesn't close at any holiday except for Christmas (if at all), we work overnight on thanksgiving/Black Friday and for very long hours.
    No benefits at all for part timers, literally nothing.

Advice to Management

Store management can't do anything, while they do need to do more recognition yet everything else is out of their hands, all issues remain unsolved, but once again from my experience there I can tell that all corporate cares about is money!

9. "sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Gordmans part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Fun place to work. Great discount. 20%.

Cons

Very Low pay rate.

10. "Guest Service/Stock Room"

Current Employee - Cashier/Stockroom Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stockroom Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Gordmans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Co-worker and Discount! Managers are great and understanding. Flexibility is also great at gordmans.

Cons

not many hours for part-timers.

11. "Gordmans Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Good company to work for. Upper level management needs work. Very much like your typical retail work experience. Overall not bad though.

Cons

Upper level management, low wages, low team moral at times. Quotas for member benefits card and credit cards. Only good for high school/college students.

Advice to Management

Most of the managers I encountered were awesome. Good job to those of you doing your job. Don't hound someone for weeks for making one mistake.