Gordon Food Service Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2020

3.5
Gordon Food Service CEO Rich Wolowski (no image)
Rich Wolowski
Pros
  • "Profit sharing about 10% of yearly salary, placed in your 401k(in 84 reviews)

• "Pay is excellent, great benefits, great management, in-house promotion,(in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours hostile work environment(in 39 reviews)

• "full time workers had a set weekly schedule(in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Friendly Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Gordon Food Service part-time for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers were always friendly and fun to be around. I also found the schedule to be flexible for my needs.

Cons

The turnover rate was pretty high so you had to learn to work with new people regularly.

Gordon Food Service2020-03-05

March 9, 2020

Thanks for your review! Many of our employees find that our part time availability is perfect to fit their schedule while going to school, working another job, or any other reason they need part time. As a result of the part time nature, people tend to start and stop working with us frequently. It sounds like you had a great experience while you were with us, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2. "Good company to be employed by."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Caring Christian based family business

Cons

Right now times are uncertain and scary....especially being furloughed

Gordon Food Service2020-06-04
  3. "Good"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at Gordon Food Service part-time

Pros

Good first phone interview attended

Cons

not sure what to expect

Gordon Food Service2020-05-28
  4. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gordon Food Service part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and good place to learn

Cons

Less hours and less to explore

Gordon Food Service2020-05-27
  5. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Business Change Manager in Wyoming, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Family Owned, solid foundations, good cornerstone values.

Cons

Pay is lower than other companies for existing employees.

Gordon Food Service2020-05-12

May 18, 2020

Thank you for your review- we review our compensation on a regular basis, and also try to balance pay with benefits. We appreciate your feedback!

6. "Wonderful company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lewis Center, OH

I have been working at Gordon Food Service part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, and great hours. The best job i’ve ever had

Cons

can get busy during holidays, and slow during the new year with low hours.

Gordon Food Service2020-05-07

May 18, 2020

Thanks for your feedback- business definitely has its busier times and its slower times. We appreciate you taking care of our customers through it all!

7. "A company that is changing."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The profit sharing adds almost 10% of my salary to my 401K per year and the relatively attainable bonus structure another 10% via bonus checks quarterly.

Cons

Not enough hours given to run the stores effectively.

Gordon Food Service2020-05-16

May 18, 2020

Thanks for your feedback- the profit sharing definitely sets our company apart from the rest. We say that the one thing that is constant in the food industry is change- things are always evolving and can be tough to keep up with! Hang in there, you've got this!

8. "Driver tractor trailer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is very good you will get paid on how hard you work. Hours vary depending on how fast you work but overall you get to spend a lot of time with your family working here. Keeps you in shape if you don’t want to just sit in a truck and just drive you are always moving. These are some of the best managers I have ever had they will take care of you and try to work with you. If you don’t like working hard physically this is not the job for you but If you do come right in!

Cons

Training is not the best Time off is good once you get a lot of seniority you accumulate vacation every quarter which sucks and you are not always guaranteed to get the day you request off due to customer demand they recommend you to put in you vacation time in the beginning of the year so you can get dibs. You deliver to some unsafe places at times.

Gordon Food Service2020-04-10

May 18, 2020

Thanks for your review- it's great to hear the managers there care. We practice servant leadership, and you have some of the best there! We will share the feedback about training, and maybe as you continue to learn you can become a trainer some day!

"Unbalanced workload"

1.0
    Current Employee - Marketing in Wyoming, MI

I have been working at Gordon Food Service full-time

Pros

Modern office space is nice

Cons

Often have to carry other team members who have been with the company for years but do not pull their weight because they are old friends with the manager.

Gordon Food Service2020-05-11

May 18, 2020

Thank you for sharing your experience with your team. Without understanding the details, it's hard for us to look into this specific situation. While we won't pretend every team is perfect, we are encouraged by the recent employee engagement survey which showed 81% of our people said they felt their managers treated them fairly and they felt valued by their leaders. We know there are opportunities and we'll continue to do our best to create an environment if fairness and inclusion. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us.

"Discrimination at its finest"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Gordon Food Service full-time

Pros

You get a 10% discount

Cons

Upper management were sexist pigs who discriminated and harassed anyone they did not want “on their team” multiple woman made serval complaints against a store manager and district manager. The complaint was mismanaged, they allowed both managers in on the investigation and nothing was ever done, even though there were witnesses and recorded evidence. Four people quit the company while the two managers who were causing the problems kept their jobs.

Gordon Food Service2020-05-09

May 19, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience at Gordon Food Service. The company is committed to promoting and ensuring equal opportunity in employment and a workplace that is free from discrimination, harassment and retaliation and will take appropriate corrective actions when it learns of behavior in violation of this policy. If you feel an investigation of your concerns was mismanaged, we encourage you to follow up with the HR team or the integrity hotline. We value all feedback from our current and former employees so we may learn more about your experience and how we can improve.

Found 939 reviews