Gordon Trucking Reviews | Glassdoor

Gordon Trucking Reviews

Updated April 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Reasonable home time and salary (in 10 reviews)

• Good miles, good people, good equipment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Didn't get miles promised, Did not get home time I was promised, or to take truck home as promised (in 4 reviews)

• Was a Great Company to work for till the Heartland Buyout (in 3 reviews)

1. "Maintenance Team Leader"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Pacific, WA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Pacific, WA

I have been working at Gordon Trucking full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good ownership and opportunity to advance if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

Cons

Sometimes the advancement doesn't happen as quickly as I'd like.

"Oh, HELL no!"

Former Employee - Driver in Citrus Heights, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in Citrus Heights, CA

I worked at Gordon Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some very good dispatchers. These were people who knew the industry, and who were willing to help the drivers. And those who lacked experience were willing to learn from those who had it. I'd go back in a second if I were still working with them.

Cons

There were also some extremely incompetent dispatchers. They would put pressure on you to move, even when they knew you didn't have the hours to run, and then park you if you didn't run they way they wanted you to. Maintenance was a joke.

Advice to Management

Get rid of dispatchers who haven't been drivers or who refuse to learn. (Ask your drivers who they are: they know.) I'd can nearly all the planners who screw with drivers because they can. Do SOMETHING about making sure the trucks get repaired in a timely manner.

"Things are a changing"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good Equipment. Pay is okay. Nice Terminals

Cons

In the last year the company has changed, selling of good equipment and not replacing it or replacing with other companies old equipment. Seems like every week miles are starting to drop more and more. Bonuses went from quarterly to yearly. Company reputation is going down. All this has happened since Heartland Express has taken over.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to fix something that was working for several years, start listening too and trusting your employees. Some of them actually know what there doing.

"Don't bother wasting your time here!"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Gordon Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Trucks are double bunk sleepers. Most have an escape hatch. Trailers are newer than most carriers.

Cons

They do not keep their word. Promised weekly home time, last day of orientation took it away. They don't have GPS on their Qualcomm units and will terminate a driver for using his/her own GPS. Dispatchers give you directions to follow and the directions are almost never correct. No refrigerators or power inverters installed in trucks.

Advice to Management

Give drivers what they need or go out of business!!!!!!!!!

"my review"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Williamsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Williamsburg, PA

I worked at Gordon Trucking (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was compatable to others,

Cons

Equipment wasnt maintenained very good,they are only concerned about the truck moving to make them money , time at home with family isnt of any concern to them at all.

Advice to Management

stop and think about the people that make the money for you and treat them as you would like to be trearted

"Otr driver run"

Current Employee - OTR REFER DRIVER in Clackamas, OR
    Current Employee - OTR REFER DRIVER in Clackamas, OR

I have been working at Gordon Trucking full-time

Pros

Nice equipment no east coast runs nice terminals. And yards, showers laundry facilities. Electronic logs, APU on all trucks. Fair shops

Cons

Fleet managers will tell you what you want to hear. Have to sit and wait for next load, then run your tail off because either planner or CSR did not do there job. Was a Great Company to work for till the Heartland Buyout. Now drivers are peons and treated like you can be replaced. Have to fight for loads and miles. Does no good to have big pay increase when the miles are cut.

Advice to Management

Listen to the driver's quit making promises that you can not keep.

"Never felt like the driver was considered when making changes to the company."

Former Employee - Company Driver in Pacific, WA
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Pacific, WA

Pros

They have great terminals and friendly operations staff. The availability of a company car at the Gordon terminals was a godsend if you needed to send money home or go grocery shopping or even just needed to get away from the truck for an hour. They welcome professional development.

Cons

The Heartland buyout was a bad move. The company is distancing themselves further and further from the driver with every step to merging the two companies. The Heartland terminals are run down and nasty and the Heartland drivers are rude to the Gordon drivers. The shop in Phoenix is especially biased against the Gordon drivers.

Advice to Management

Remodel the Heartland terminals. Open up better communication channels between the drivers and management since you wouldn't have a trucking company without your drivers. Find a way to get rid of the problems towards the Gordon drivers in the Phoenix shop.

8. "Great company to get experience with"

Former Employee - Driver Manager in Pacific, WA
    Former Employee - Driver Manager in Pacific, WA

I worked at Gordon Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company focuses on safety and cares about family values. Will give responsibilities to those who work hard, demonstrate leadership and earn them

Cons

Some of the hours are not typical. Overtime is considered an "incentive" and paid at regular time rates

Advice to Management

Keep the family values and be willing to pay your talent market rates

"To all drivers lookingf 'for 'a job"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Oregon City, OR
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Oregon City, OR

Pros

I have no good to say about the companyt

Cons

I have been in the trucking business for 'some 30 yrs and 'have 'worked 'for so,me of 'the very 'best such 'as 'Wal-Mart with whom I rertired 'thee best Co u would every want to drive 'for I retired 'there and decided 'too ret ret rn to work. Worst 'decxisoion I ever ',Ade 'was 'working for Gordon.The dispatch was the worst I had ever 'seen had a 'manager who 'said that's 'should have hit 'a 'lady that ran a ueild sign would have 'killed her but he was more interested in a tire I ruined in avoiding killing her. I was lied to so ,many times it was 'pathetic. They terminated me but when I 'filed for unemployment the St. I lived in ruled against Gordon as they could not 'prove the reason 'for discharge and the straw said it 'was 'a wronmgful discharge. So xdrivers be 'dam careful if you rthink about goingf 'to work for the,men u may 'refgret doing It. Lots of good companies out there. IDF you have experience try to get on 'with 'Wal-Mart iu can 'make 100,00 dollars 'a year there and have some of the best 'benefits u 'will 'ever have.

Advice to Management

You 'need to 'take a 'look at what you 'have for management and 'maybe clean house 'from 'dispatch on 'down. Said that 'it is 'run 'that 'way

10. "Excellent company. Gordon treated me with respect, compensated me well for my time, and got me home when I needed it."

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Chicago, IL

Pros

My dispatcher was excellent and understands the business.

Cons

There are no cons to a driving position at Gordon if you're willing to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.