Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Harvey V. Fineberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Exceptional place to work, wonderful colleagues, extraordinary leader…"

I have been working at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It blows my mind that a couple of the previous reviewers call out our current president, Harvey Fineberg, in a negative way.... Not sure what planet they live on… I have been in the workforce for over 30 years and never have I worked for a more competent, intelligent, empathetic, humble, or extraordinary leader than Harvey Fineberg. To those willing to be open to observing and learning about leadership, Harvey is a great model and the foundation is very, very lucky to have him. He is almost universally praised from within and by other organizations for turning around a completely dysfunctional organization left behind by the previous administration.

As most reviews have noted, the Moore foundation is a fun and exciting place to work. Salaries and benefits are generous. Employees are generally passionate, committed, and hardworking. Under Harvey Fineberg's leadership, the organization is not content with the status quo and is constantly looking for ways to improve itself, be more efficient, and make a lasting and enduring contribution to life on Earth. After my entire career working elsewhere, I feel downright privileged and spoiled working here! We are given a tremendous opportunity - and responsibility - to contribute to making the world a better place by wisely investing the economic resources of the Moore family.

The foundation is also blessed with a very clear "north star" to follow... We have a visionary yet pragmatic document - the Founders' Intent - written by Gordon and Betty Moore.... This document gives us great clarity as to what we should be striving to achieve and, equally important, how we should work and comport ourselves with others, including grantees, to achieve these results.

Cons

Uhhhhh.... Let me think..... Uhhhhh..... The coffee is too hot??? The weekly lunches provided by the foundation are too good???? The free snacks and drinks in the kitchens are too varied??? The receptionist is too nice and accommodating??? Really can't think of any cons… Again, it is truly a privilege and honor to work at the Moore foundation.

Advice to Management

Please, please keep doing what you're doing! Yes, it is always easy to criticize senior leadership from the outside, but we are very lucky to have the team we have...

2. "Leadership needs to be more thoughtful"

I have been working at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits, smart and dedicated staff for the most part.

Cons

Moves are not thought out, promotions are made without thought as to whether it makes sense

Advice to Management

If you are really interested in improving the culture and engagement, think of your actions as a whole on the foundation, not just to please you cronies.

"Beneficial experiences and opportunities to learn"

I worked at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time

Pros

Dedicated people working toward positive outcomes in science, patient care and environmental conservation. If you enjoy learning about different fields of research and the philanthropic sector, a position at the Moore Foundation will provide you with beneficial experiences and opportunities for growth. The benefits are great and there is a genuine effort to support work-life balance.

Cons

With such a small group of coworkers (~100), it is easy to get caught up in the complaints from long-time employees who are resistant to change. These attitudes are borderline ridiculous for those of us who have worked in other environments/sectors, esp. in high-paced technology or research settings. Luckily, the executive team is approachable and responsive to new ideas.

"Great resources, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunity to do good in the world thanks to the generosity of the founders. Benefits and salary are excellent compared to other jobs in my field. Great work-life balance with frequent telecommuting and lots of vacations.

Cons

Current leadership under the Fineberg administration is very bad. There is no tolerance for new ideas or disagreement. They have promoted incompetence over and over. Huge excess in hiring of support teams. Very dishonest.

Advice to Management

Try to be more fair and focus on impact, not hiring cheerleaders.

"Harvey must go"

Current Employee - Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The foundation has over $6 billion in assets and worderful, generous founders. This is being squandered by the current president and his cronies.

Cons

The Harvey Fineberg regime has brought real dysfunction and dishonesty to the foundation, to the point that it is no longer a productive or pleasant place to work. Harvey's main priority seems to be improve staff morale, as measured by the staff survey. Rather than make real changes that might boost staff satisfaction, Harvey changed the survey so it is no longer anonymous but easily traceable to people based on their department and tenure. Of course people will not be as critical since they are afraid that it will get traced back to them. Or unhappy people will not even fill out the survey. Even after multiple extensions of the survey deadline they still did not get to the same level of participation in past surveys. Plus he hired a huge communications team whose only role seems to be talking about how great Harvey supposedly is and suppressing any constructive criticism in the foundation. Even with all these changes, the survey showed an unhappy employee base, especially on the program side. Harvey is a very dishonest man who makes many of us very uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Make surveys truly anonymous if you want honest feedback. Hopefully turnover in top management will happen soon.

"Great place to work!"

I worked at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time

Pros

Loved coming into a such a passionate and meaningful work environment with a very smart group of coworkers.

Cons

Difficult to maneuver career in such a niche industry.

"Internship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Gordon and Betty Moore gave me a lifetime worth of experience in teaching my career goals

Cons

Long drawn out process to complete tasks due to lack of communication umungst internal departments made my job difficult

Advice to Management

Sort out differenced in information gathering strategies

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Communications Officer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Officer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic mission set by two incredibly generous and humble individuals. Colleagues who are passionate about making an impact and care deeply about the people, organizations and partners who are making it happen.

Cons

Hard pressed to find downsides - the commute if you don't live in the peninsula BUT there is great flexibility with the work hours to help minimize any challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the mission set by our founders and to support staff across the foundation in its execution

"Dysfunction at its best"

Former Employee - Officer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Officer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work that the Foundation supports is generally very good, and their grantees are making contributions to significant challenges in their respective program areas. Largely the program staff are very intelligent and dynamic people, who are passionate about their work and believe in the causes that they are supporting.

Cons

The Foundation management is incredibly dysfunctional. They have a high rate of turnover in staff and have had turmoil in upper level management. Their is tension between the President and the heads of the programs, which have long operated autonomously. Really the Foundation is three separate Foundations operating under one umbrella. The programmatic leadership are experts in their field, but lack basic people management skills. There is poor communication, and a constant cycle of "strategic planning" fueled by inability to make choices about allocation or resources, and reluctance to shift course.

"Smart people; great benefits"

I have been working at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time

Pros

Very smart colleagues from impressive and diverse backgrounds. Very high pay and excellent benefits. Green workplace with lots of perks.

Cons

Rigid, inflexible governance by board and senior management. Little input from lower-level staff in strategic decisions.

Advice to Management

Better communication between board and staff. Less control by board members over strategic direction of organization. More collaboration between departments and less emphasis on rigid, hierarchal management structures.