Gorilla Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Grady

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is overall very good (in 15 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and work from home options (not micro-managed by HR or management) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance they talk about isn't really a thing (in 5 reviews)

• Growing pains given all the growth (in 6 reviews)

1. "I learned a lot about high traffic development and deployments"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gorilla Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and mostly transparent management. One of the best CEOs I have worked for.

Cons

Significant restructuring to overseas resources.

"An innovative, growing company, making moves in the eCommerce Market"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gorilla Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gorilla is a fun and challenging place to work. It still has that small company feel despite it's quick growth and having locations in 4 countries. All work is done "in house" which is much easier than dealing with vendor offshore resources.

Teams are very collaborative and creative in forming solutions for clients. No matter what the challenge is, teams come together and use "outside of the box" thinking paired with industry best practices to give clients market leading solutions to grow their business and create an ongoing relationship.

This further allows for Gorilla to be flexible in providing any type of eCommerce service requested by clients. Therefore, every project is different and gives new challenges and goals to overcome and reach.

With the company growing and bigger clients continually signing on, there is ample opportunity to grow with the company and stand out amongst your peers.

There are often fun events planned after hours and it's not uncommon to have an end of day drink from the stocked saloon with co-workers. This creates an open and friendly environment that is pleasant to work in.

Work-Life balance is overall very good. You sometimes have to put in extra hours to hit deadlines but most times a 40hr work week is the norm.

Cons

With any growing company, former processes need to be reassessed and changed to support bigger clients and more work. Overall, Gorilla has done well with this and teams are supportive of change, though at times, extra help and support is needed for those resistant to change to follow through on implementing new processes.

Not a place for those looking to just coast and not be challenged at work.

At times resources can be stretched thin, although I believe this is also just another hurdle Gorilla will overcome as growth continues.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bad apples that can create unneeded stress and/or plant seeds of doubt in quality work or resources. Identify those that are unwilling to adapt, change or provide solutions to problems faced. Implement more peer training to help resources grow in their roles.

Continue to appreciate and take care of employees that participate and provide solutions and quality work to further Gorilla's reputation and client base.

"It was great! then not so great"

Pros

When I went to work here we were a lean group of people who knew each other from top to bottom. We worked hard on our clients together and learned a lot! As gorilla grew it slowly changed, it wasn't a bad place to work but just wasn't the same. The afterwork activities were great, the atmosphere was good, a lot of friendly people, and you worked on great projects in a lot of different industries.

Cons

Slowly shifted to be more about quantity over quality. We always talked about he things we wanted to change and being better on estimates and scope of projects, but that's all it was, talk, it never really changed. Slowly over time the management also became more disconnected and separate from the folks doing the work. They also seemed to give more credence to recognizing achievement and good work through more responsibilities and not necessarily a job title/monetary advancement. Culture and values was always a huge selling point to the employees but that was lost along the way.

Advice to Management

Engage with your employees, spend more time scoping and discovering projects, don't just let the sales folks sell everything without working with a dev or an architect. If you want to hold on to more senior people increase pay to be competitive with the industry. if I had done this review 2 years ago, it would probably be a lot different and I would have encouraged anyone to come work here. It's not too late for Gorilla but they have work to do.

"Great Learning Experience, At a Cost"

I worked at Gorilla Group full-time

Pros

Gorilla is a great place to gain experience for those who are new to the industry, or those who are looking to build on limited, existing experience. You get to work on a LOT of projects and gain exposure to many different types of industries and clients. If you are one of the elite few who are able to forge a close relationship with the executive team and upper management, you will enjoy your time at work and maybe even be able to contribute to policy implementation/change with your ideas. Gorilla does a good job with keeping employees fed, with free coffee, snacks and beer on tap, as well as company events which typically center around food. In my experience, base pay was average, with a bonus structure that presented nice upside, if you met your revenue projections. During my time at Gorilla, and especially in the first 6 months, I really enjoyed the company culture, people I worked with and the projects I worked on.

Cons

Some of the cons are what bring down my rating to 3 out of 5. Over time, if you prove you are good at your job, you will be loaded up with projects, maybe receive a raise, but you won't be promoted in terms of your title. In many instances, I raised a red flag to my manager indicating that I was overloaded, yet still continued to receive new assignments. The executive team did not provide necessary support in difficult situations, and I was often left to deal with the consequences, which were typically caused by either poorly defined project scope from the outset of the sales process or poor design/code output from untrained/over-allocated delivery team members. Sadly, Gorilla seemed to focus more on quantity than quality, and leadership was often quick to point the finger and find someone to blame when things went wrong, rather than taking ownership. New processes aimed at correcting common issues were often rolled out randomly, with no real follow through or evaluation to measure whether they actually corrected the original problem, which led to a lot of headache and additional administrative work. The combination of these factors created a very high turnover rate during my time there, which needless to say also contributed to the difficult delivery of our projects.

Advice to Management

Don't squeeze your resources to the maximum, and take some ownership.

"A Good Company with Some Growing Pains"

Pros

This is a youthful company that encourages employees to be social. There are a lot of after work company events and socials. I felt valued by my manager and enjoyed working on my team.

There is a very good work/life balance here. I hardly had to do any work on the weekend which was a big plus. Management's expectation is that you work hard during the week but are not on-call on the weekend.

Cons

The company has seen tremendous growth over the last couple of years and is definitely experiencing some growing pains. During my time at Gorilla, I saw a lot of turnover as many of the employees that had been there for several years decided to move on. My opinion is that is was less about negative things the company was doing and more about people just not liking changes that come with a growing organization. Many of the employees that left went to other small companies.

With some of the turnover there were definitely times when resourcing was a challenge. Resources can definitely be spread thin at times - particularly the senior level resources.

One of my biggest complaints was that at times management can put the cart before the horse when it comes to new processes. There were a couple circumstances where we were required to follow a new process or provide a new deliverable to the customer but the format or definition for it had never actually been developed yet.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to make sure you can do the little things perfect before trying to go bigger.

"Easy atmosphere, low engagement"

I worked at Gorilla Group full-time

Pros

Strict about work life balance. Everyt is out by five almost nightly. WFH easily. Good comp and perks. Friendly laid back team.

Cons

Not very intellectually stimulating. Less hard programming than other dev gigs, much more templating and xml config. Not a lot of transferable skills outside enterprise ecommerce.

Advice to Management

Try to find a better gender balance between developers and project managers. Devs were men and PMs were (often much younger) women. Bit creepy on occasion.

"No training"

I have been working at Gorilla Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free La Croix. Work from home.

Cons

This company DOES NOT on board their employees. You will not be set up to succeed here.

"Great experience but increasingly toxic environment"

I worked at Gorilla Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A fast paced environment with lots of collaboration among team members. The general culture is to expose you to a lot of opportunities and experiences. Tons of opportunities to learn and obtain valuable experience. The company is still small enough for one to be involved and engaged and really learn a lot about the business side both internally and at clients.
    Post project review process was also a pro in terms of looking at lessons learned when it was kept positive.
    Flexibility in terms of work schedule and trusting employees to work remote.

Cons

Increasingly toxic environment over time with key players in management. When things would go wrong or not as planned it often led to a witch hunt or pointing fingers at others. Often a scapegoat was needed to explain away issues and this would sometimes lead to driving them out of the organization. Top leadership tended towards immature and sometimes vengeful. A bullying culture seemed to appear over the years among some members in management. I believe a lot of the recent and significant turnover was related to this increasingly toxic environment.
    In terms of another review mentioning this as a great place for women, I have to take some issue with that. I often felt a boys club mentality existed and unprofessional comments were not out of the norm. Additionally in order to compete in this space to recruit top female talent, a competitive maternity leave policy should be put in place. 6 weeks of short term disability at not full pay is just not competitive in this space.
    The performances review process was not as comprehensive as it needed to be and if there are performance issues they should be addressed early and often and provide coaching opportunities. Not uncommon to blindside someone with performance concerns that were not earlier addressed. Leaders within the organization should also be held accountable as coaches for other staff members.

Advice to Management

Please be introspective about the recent attirition and not find people to blame or write it off as people leaving for greener pastures. There are systemic issues within your organization you need to address. Just as your organization has grown up, look at how you can also mature to support this growth.

"Finally a female friendly company in tech!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gorilla Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IT consulting is a tough business to be a woman in. The hours are traditionally long and the time away from home can be extensive. Not so at Gorilla. They’ve managed to create a corporate culture which makes it possible to be a wife/mom and still balance work. The hours really are largely 9-5. Rarely see people at the office past 5:30pm. And the travel is minimal for a consulting environment. Maybe 25% at most. And even that travel is designed to be the least impactful on your personal life. People jump on flights for day meetings at the client site and are back home in their own beds that evening. Sometimes an overnight flight is needed, but overall Gorilla does a great job of setting client expectations that we work off-site at our own offices versus at the client site.

The company is in high growth mode. There are a ton of new hires, many of which are women. So despite being an ecommerce shop, it has found a way to find more women in leadership or consulting roles than I typically see. With so much growth, I can really imagine more and more women going into leadership roles, especially since so much of the promotion efforts seem driven by merit versus an “old boy’s” network.

Cons

Growing pains given all the growth. There are lots of changes happening incrementally given the transformation from targeting small/medium organizations to large enterprise clients. This has made it more challenging for some of the old Gorilla employees to adjust to the changes as management has been slowly rolling out changes to adapt to the new competitive landscape.

Advice to Management

Pull the band-aid off. With the influx of new people it would feel better to just rip the band-aid off and just dive head first into what needs to be done to keep up the double digit growth rate that the company has sustained over the last few years.

"The prettiest waitress at Denny's"

Former Employee - Applied Logician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Applied Logician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gorilla Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good for a foot in the door in e-commerce industry<br>
    -Fairly recognizable brand name to have on resume<br>
    -Office is set up with great work spaces to get things done<br>
    -Decent activities and free beer<br>
    -Pretty good equipment and software provided<br>
    -Really nice open spaces and good supply of soft drinks<br>
    -Very diverse<br>

Cons

-People just look angry and unhappy here and most of them are unapproachable<br>
    -for(int cliquey = 1; cliquey > 0; ++cliquey)<br>
    -The work life balance they talk about isn't really a thing<br>
    -The culture thing isn't really a thing<br>
    -Whether or not the bonus pays out and how much is more difficult than determining the health of Schrödinger's cat<br>
    -Compensation is very low compared to rest of industry<br>
    -Recently impacted by a high speed clown missile resulting in a massive bozo explosion<br>

Advice to Management

Keep on truckin'