Gorkana Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Kevin Akeroyd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Throughout the day you work with great people and great projects (in 7 reviews)

• So my general understanding is if you are hard working you can have a great potential for promotion and growth within the company (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth within the company (in 5 reviews)

• no career development or support (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great first job out of school"

Former Employee - Business Development Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Gorkana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Growing company based in London expanding its presence throughout the US.
    -Rapidly growing team, startup environment
    -Casual, laid back office
    -Great work/life balance

Cons

-No process put in place for the Business Development Coordinator role

Aug 4, 2016 – Managing Director, Cision EMEA

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I will pass your comments on to our leader in the New York office to feed in to any future career/process mapping for that role. If you would like... More

2. "good"

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

not paid enough for the time spent

Aug 4, 2016 – Managing Director, Cision EMEA

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review. It's great that you think we're a good company to work for. As I am unable to tell which department you are in, if you would like to speak about... More

3. "Great Company"

Pros

Lovely people, great working environment

Cons

There are few cons I have about the poeple I work with.

Advice to Management

Listening

Apr 6, 2016 – Managing Director, Cision EMEA

Thank you for your review and advice to management. We pride ourselves on our people and it is great that you feel positively about our Gorkana community. Please be assured that I will feed back your... More

"Media Executive"

Former Employee - Media Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Media Executive in New York, NY

Pros

Young work environment, fairly laid back. Not stressful

Cons

Extremely monotonous, repetitive work. Need to find other ways to help the employees grow.

"A much needed rebuttal...."

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Gorkana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've never been one to hold water with the reviews on Glassdoor, as I had always been under the impression that many of the negative comments were from disgruntled former employees who failed to make a level of impact (be it through lack of interest or not being able to understand why one didn't find success and therefore blaming others).

As a current Gorkana employee, it's pretty apparent that the past few negative reviews were conspired through a handful of former employees - who, at least from my view, didn't show much interest in the job or had trouble understanding why they didn't move up the ladder.

Three years ago the culture and atmosphere of Gorkana was great, but the company lacked direction and had trouble growing in the US. The "much maligned" Managing Director (at least on this site) had a very big hand with getting Gorkana US on a successful track. As with every manager/boss, if you learn how to work for them, you will find success.

Over the past two years we've seen the number of clients grow, including the Enterprise business, which has brought on some high-end, blue chip brands as clients (after years of not bringing on any client of global stature). She may be tough to work for, forget a name here and there, or come off as a bit strong willed at times, but the MD absolutely got the job done in getting the Gorkana US office running right. Personally, while I have butted heads with her, I've learned a lot as well and like the track my career is on with Gorkana.

With the merger of Cision finally coming to fruition, there is a lot of opportunity for those that remained with Gorkana during that odd period of transition. Yes, it;s difficult to go from that start-up, atmosphere - but in the end those that stuck it out and/or showed a willingness to commit, will find good opportunities for success.

Cons

The culture has taken a bit of a hit, due to recently being acquired by Cision and in turn a lot of the team has left and were not replaced. A lot of talent and personality was lost, but not much could be done about it - as there were no guarantees that could be made regarding roles during the transition. That being said, management did encourage employees to look for roles and to take advantage of the opportunities that came to them and did not try to stand in the way.

Backfilling those roles didn't happen because they couldn't hire somebody to a FT position without being able to guarantee a role more than a few months.

The office is tight and cramped, which can make it difficult if you're on a call or just want to put your head down and get some work done. Despite attempts to cancel out the noise, it can be hard to concentrate with all the noise

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The attempts to regain the sense of culture that was lost with the recent departures is noticed. I'm sure over time it'll return.

"Going South"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gorkana full-time

Pros

For a long time it was all about the great people. Easy to get up from your desk to ask co-workers questions, and get valuable opinions.

Great benefits. (Was originally a British company)

Cons

It's now been bought by it's largest competitor in the US, Cision. Many people who helped build the business to be great have left. It's going south quicker than anticipated. Too many unknowns and the new parent company is not handling things smoothly...yet...

Advice to Management

Don't just say you're listening to your workers...Do it. Implementation of things that were needed took too long. Issues can't be brushed under a rug.
    Don't give all your attention to one department, because the others will suffer. Then they will complain. At times upper management would seem oblivious to on going issues because they aren't connected enough to the overall business, just what they seem to think counts.
    Be more genuine. People can smell that something stinks.

"Media Executive Review -- great experience"

I worked at Gorkana full-time

Pros

I worked on the Gorkana US team as a Media Executive for about 1 year and it was an all-around positive experience. Worked with an enthusiastic group of people who care about your career goals and are committed to making Gorkana a great experience. Management looks out for career paths of staff. Employees have a chance for their ideas to be heard and hard work is noticed, appreciated and rewarded.

Cons

Small team and environment, which can be good or bad, depending on your personal

8. "Lots of upside/opportunity"

Current Employee - Analysis Team in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analysis Team in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of opportunities. The US office has been growing its business quickly, with a number of marquee client wins over the past six months. This means the chance to work with some of the best corporate communications teams and agencies in the business. This also means the chance for advancement. Management prefers to promote internally whenever possible, and I have seen many entry level media executives given opportunities in sales, client management, analysis and insights, customer service, HR, marketing, PR, and events. The work in the analysis team in particular is challenging and interesting. The office culture is relaxed, fun-loving and supportive, while being results oriented. Management will challenge you to do your best work, leading to professional growth, and certainly has the best interest of the office in mind. Speaking for the analysis team in particular, I am proud to work with people who are smart, proactive, creative and passionate about providing value and insight to our clients. In fact, last week we received 12 awards at the AMEC International Summit on Measurement, including 2 awards for the US office's global work with UNICEF.

Cons

The location of the office is great and is open-plan, which is fun and collaborative, however the number of conference rooms can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent regarding company strategy and direction as Gorkana continues to grow.

"Negative Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gorkana full-time

Pros

It is important to note while reading these reviews whether they are UK or US based. Positive reviews for the UK are not at all reflective of the US and they are two very different offices/cultures/etc.

There are no real pros I can think of besides that while I was working there, I was not unemployed.

Cons

Management (specifically the Managing Director of the US office), low pay, major favoritism, lack of opportunities, extremely high turnover, bad IT.

Advice to Management

There is not much to say now that Gorkana has been bought by Cision and it is too late to make any real changes. Feedback from employees should have been listened to early on.

"Media Executive"

I worked at Gorkana full-time

Pros

the office is young and friendly
    free coffee & occasional office parties
    you don't take your work home with you unless you're in client services

Cons

Management is irresponsible in many ways. The Managing Director of the US office is a bully who can't hear anything she doesn't want to hear and has an almost pathological need to see a graph with an upward trend. Because she is unreasonable, people often lie to her, sugarcoating results to protect themselves.

Pay is also very low in entry-level positions, but you'll have a slightly easier time climbing the ladder if you happen to be born with a y chromosome. Raises and promotions are rewarded with little regard for merit or work ethic.

Think you're getting overtime for those swanky events you're attending? Think again. It's a policy to only award two hours of overtime for employees who attend the events, even if you're expected to be there for three hours or more. Or, alternatively, they might just come by your desk the day before an event you've committed yourself to working to tell you that you won't, in fact, be receiving any overtime at all! Surprise! What a joy it is to work for management that flagrantly flouts labor laws with the hope that their entry-level employees are too naive to know it's wrong.

Traveling for work?! Yeah, you probably won't get overtime for that either.

Will the Managing Director remember your name and your role at the company? Nahhhhh. But she will be upset if you try to remind her.

Quiz: When someone quits will they a) hire a replacement or b) make someone do both jobs? Ding, ding! B is correct.

Love your coworkers? Don't get attached. They might be gone within the next few weeks.

Wondering how to get in touch with HR to address any of these problems? Forget about it! Would they do anything even if you did? Who knows!?

What else can I say? Just please think twice before accepting a position here.

Advice to Management

The turnover rate in the US office should be a clue that something is really, really wrong here. Maybe if people were paid more they'd tolerate the job better.