Gourmet Burger Kitchen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Alasdair Murdoch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food on shift (can literally eat whatever) (in 17 reviews)

• ve been working at GBK for just over 3 months (new opening) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • poor pay for the amount of responsibilities the front of house staff had, some lazier than others and a clear presence of favouritism (in 4 reviews)

• I understand we are put on a zero hour contract but when you are hired as a full time member of staff you expect more than one day a week working (in 4 reviews)

"assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, OH

I have been working at Gourmet Burger Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

opportunity to growth, free staff food

Cons

not enought people on shift to provide good customer service

Advice to Management

create good training program for management

2. "Great place to work for!"

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Gourmet Burger Kitchen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are great. They've helped me from day one and continue to do so. The burgers are some of the tastiest out there, without a doubt. Free food on your shift is definitely a big pro as is the free pint at the end of the the shift if you're closing the restaurant. I am lucky to work in an extremely touristy area, which allows me to meet people from all over the world. It builds your confidence and makes you feel that what you do is being appreciated by both your employers as well as your customers.

Cons

One of the major downsides is that a great amount of shifts are 'doubles' and you don't leave the place until midnight on weekends.

Advice to Management

Please try your best to make sure people do not have to work for more than 8 hours a day as it is both physically and mentally exhausting. I appreciate that it is not always possible, however.

3. "Good food, great staff"

Pros

Free burgers/meals every shift. Lovely team to work with and chances to progress. If you love serving people face to face this is the job for you

Cons

Unsociable hours, long days and inconsistent rotas - not always putting enough staff on to manage the shift which can be quite a challenge during peak times.

Advice to Management

Improve the amount spent on labour !

4. "Great Team and Management"

Current Employee - FOH Team Member in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - FOH Team Member in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Gourmet Burger Kitchen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working at GBK for just over 3 months (new opening). I find the benefits are very good and you can talk to management about things if needed. I worked at another burger restaurant until last year and based on my experience with that chain GBK are brilliant.

Cons

Long hours (but it’s a restaurant)

Advice to Management

No advice to management just keep to the values

Oct 13, 2017 – Recruitment Resourcer

5. "Promotion!!"

Current Employee - Senior Grill Chef in Oldham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Grill Chef in Oldham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gourmet Burger Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To put it simply GBK is the best company that I have worked for. The restaurants the food the ethos and company philosophy are all top-notch. The Rate of progression and availability to move up within the company is 2nd to none. I love GBK!!

Cons

Non as of yet to discuss.

Hi there,

Thank you for your time sharing with us about your time in GBK! It is great to hear you are enjoying GBK development and internal progression programmes.

Thank you for your hard... More

6. "Full time Waitress and student"

Current Employee - Waitress in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waitress in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Gourmet Burger Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GBK offers flexible hours and weekend work, which is perfect for students. Whilst doing my Masters part-time, I work full time with a flexible timetable to suit my needs. 28 days holiday which is more than many restaurants offer. Staff discount and food on shifts are some more of the benefits we get here, among a fun fund every quarter, an extra holiday day after one year with Gbk, and a massive Christmas party with All the gbk's across the country.

One of my favourite things about working here are the people I get to work with. GBK Cambridge has an excellent team and er all work together to deliver delicious burgers to our customers.

Another excellent thing about Gbk is the pay for under 18s, which is much higher than the current minimum wage.

Cons

As with most restaurants, we do not get bank holidays off, nor any extra pay to work them. Working weekends and evenings is a con for some, but if you're a student it's ideal.
    Only counter service means we don't get tips, which is a large portion of a lot of Waiters income each month. This is one of the biggest downfalls at GBK, in comparison to other restaurants. With inflation high and interest rates low, this lack of an extra income can really turn good waiters/waitresses away to placed which offers table service and tips.

We used to get staff beer also, which for kitchen and front of house, allows us to unwind and chat with our Co workers. The loss of this privilege was not taken well at GBK Cambridge, as it was the result of one individual taking more than their fair share.

This last issue is one of the most frustrating; everything is broken. So many things in our Gbk are broken. Which causes a lot of difficulty for the staff. Although we all do our best to work around these things, I believe the workers shouldn't have to work extra hard to make up for this.

The music is often dull and repetitive.

Advice to Management

If benefits, on the whole, are greater amount other restaurants, you will lose good quality chefs and waiters.
    Happy staff = happy customers!!
    If table service and tips aren't an option, you'll have to increase our other benefits.
    Higher pay, or extra pay on bank holidays would go a long way in making your staff happy and willing to stay.
    Also, having the same standard among all Gbk's is a must! Hearing rumours of the other restaurants makes you wonder if you're really working for the right company.
    More clear HR contact details, when I get threatened at work by rowdy customers, I'd like to report it to someone in Hr, but trying to get hold of any email or number seems impossible.

Hi there,

Thank you for leaving a review on GBK Glassdoor page. It is great to hear you are enjoying flexible working hours, holiday allowance, staff discount, and company parties we offer to all... More

7. "Great Values!"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Gourmet Burger Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's not all about the money and they care about team members and managers.

Cons

None really it's called work for a reason.

Advice to Management

Keep living the values!

Hi there,
    Thank you for your time leaving a review on our Glassdoor page. It is great to hear you are enjoying your time in GBK. We will keep living the values 😊

GBK People Team

8. "Friendly, fun and amazing employee retention."

Current Employee - Waiter/Waitress in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waiter/Waitress in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gourmet Burger Kitchen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started working at GBK around a month and it is one of the most friendly and fun environments. Everyone is so nice and so easy to talk too. GBK gives each branch £500 each month to have fun and get drunk after shifts which is amazing!!!

Cons

There's very little cons but one thing is the communication between employees and managers outside of work. It would be better if each branch had a group chat to communicate.

Advice to Management

It would be better if each branch had a group chat to communicate with managers and other employees

Sep 21, 2017 – Recruitment Resourcer

Hi there,
    Thank you for your feedback on GBK Glassdoor page. It is great to hear that you enjoy being part of the company. Thank you for your hard work.

9. "Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Gourmet Burger Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- free food on shift
    This is dependent on your branch but a good working team and GM.
    - can work your way up

Cons

-Since being bought out by the new owners standards have slipped.
    - long working hours
    - working evenings and weekends, little time for social life when working full time.
    - very draining and tiring job

Advice to Management

Put your employees first. Remember you can't make the money without them.

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments on board, if you would like to discuss further please email info@gbk.co.uk.

GBK People Team

10. "Fun company to work for"

I have been working at Gourmet Burger Kitchen full-time

Pros

Let's you be yourself. If you work hard for them, they look after you and help develop you.

Cons

Sometimes the massive emphasis that is put on having fun can mislead you. Hours can be long but that's in industry I suppose.

Sep 15, 2017 – Recruitment Resourcer

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback!
    We are happy to hear you enjoy your time with GBK.