GovDelivery Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

4.5
Scott Burns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Challenging - the good kind of challenging"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GovDelivery (More than a year)

Pros

Having suffered a previous position where I was being silo'd into boredom, Govdelivery is a breath of fresh air. Much to do, much to learn and we can, for the most part, focus on the things we are most interested in. Lots of talented, co-workers; mutual respect abounds. If you want to make a difference, implement new ideas, be heard, this is the place to be.
    It can actually be FUN to come to work - lot's of company sponsored activities, both in and out of the office.

Cons

With freedom and challenge, comes a certain level of stress and the challenge of managing a very full workload.
    Management tends to micro-manage the key projects, to the detriment of lesser (but still required) projects.
    The culture doesn't support virtual meetings and collaboration well (at least not yet - they are working on it.)

Advice to Management

Manage up a level. You have quality technical people. Let them do their jobs.

"Opportunity"

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Social mission, open doors, great work ethic while keeping a strong work-life balance.

Cons

Mixed messaging from middle management.

"The best coworkers, interesting and impactful work"

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learn a ton from my coworkers! They are friendly, smart, and experienced; they are the best group of people I've worked with.

Lots of trust is put in the developers (both from managers and more senior developers). My opinions matter and my work makes a difference.

Plenty of challenging problems to work on.

Friendly to people with families. Flexible hours and the ability to occasionally work from home when needed (most roles). Six weeks of paid parental leave.

Very low turnover on the development team.

Free snacks and drinks.

Cons

As others have noted, this is a growing business so the rate of change in priorities can be high.

Management puts a lot of trust in employees, but that level of autonomy is not for everyone.

The technology teams are making improvements in diversity, but there is still more work to be done.

Advice to Management

You do an excellent job of hiring great people, but keep working on improving diversity levels.

Continue to shift more development resources from tactical to strategic goals.

"Great experience, no shortage of work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

This is a great environment for people who are seeking on-the-job, independent learning experiences. Every job here is what you make it, with much encouragement given to those who want to explore new possibilities to solve our unique business challenges most effectively. Very good place for trailblazers, the passionate, and the curious.

Most people here are friendly, connected to the mission of the organization, and collaborative. There's not a lot of red tape to push forward decisions and things move very quickly here. People are expected to stand on their own very quickly and are encouraged to contribute aggressively. In most of my interactions, leadership provides an undergirding of support and confidence in their teams.

The benefits are great and there genuinely seems to be care and concern from the leadership for the wellbeing of the people who work here.

Cons

This fast-paced, performance-driven environment can excite many but can overwhelm some. If you're more into a structured environment with clear roles and concentrations you may feel the ambiguity or autonomy in your role to be too much pressure.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of listening to your employees needs and giving clear focus for the organization's goals and we should all be good!

"Strong Growth = Opportunities"

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GovDelivery is full of smart, hard working and creative individuals that embrace and understand the company's vision. As an employee, I can see the positive effect that we make in our community everyday. It is a company that empowers their employees to achieve top quality work with a great culture where we work hard and have fun!

Cons

GovDelivery is a growing company and we experience change on a weekly bases. For me, growth means opportunity, but if change scares you or you need constant supervision, then this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust and value your employees and stay focused on growing the company! We got everything else.

"I'm not leaving"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The software team is top-notch. Everyone is very talented, disciplined, respectful, and fun. Other departments may have some turnover, but not the dev team. Good pay. Good PTO. No micro-management. The company has a ton of trust in the developers to make decisions.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any. We do use Oracle, which is no fun compared to Postgres.

Advice to Management

Please keep trusting the development team.

"A place to develop the most valuable skills while loving your job and having time for your family."

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and Perks. Just like most tech companies, GovD has a diverse, fun-loving, flexible culture sprinkled with free snacks and beverages. What makes GovD standout is the support for a healthy work/life balance achieved by offering flexible schedules, 29+ paid days off per year (PTO + holidays combined), six weeks (thirty workdays) of paid parental leave for parents (birth- or otherwise) with a new child that you can be taken all at once, or sporadically over the course of 6 months.
    Affordable medical, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered; life, short-term disability, long-term disability and basic vision are all automatic, employer-paid benefits; there are FSA options; a 401K plan with an employer match, tuition reimbursement; free parking or public transit options and access to biking programs when weather permits. The icing on the cake: they're always considering and shopping around for new perks and benefits.

Colleagues. While the benefits give me peace of mind, my favorite thing about GovDelivery is being surrounded by knowledgeable, approachable, collaborative, reliable, optimistic, dedicated, initiative-taking people. Those attributes describe not only my peers, but management and executive leadership.

The Company. GovDelivery treats its employees like adults; like individual human beings. I don't feel like a number or a statistic at GovD. I know...kinda cliche, but it really is a workplace that values freedom of expression (ideas, suggestions) and transparency, without abandoning accountability and professionalism.

The Work. It's amazingly awarding to be part of a team that facilitates the delivery, marketing and analyses of electronic communications from government agencies to its constituents. Agency-by-agency, we're bridging the information gap while modernizing the way government communicates with the world.

The Opportunity. It's obvious that advancement and development are major focuses here. Generous compensation, attractive bonuses and promotions are yours if you're willing to work for them.

Cons

Step-by-step instructions are not provided for every task. (At first, I found this a little frustrating, but not exactly a "con".)

Fast-paced and agile! GovD is NOT for the faint of heart or those who rely on long-standing routines.

Don't really have anything else. No, I'm not still in the honeymoon phase. I'm just really proud of where I work and appreciative for all I've gained since I started working here.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on satisfying your employees, and we'll continue focusing on providing the very best of ourselves to your stakeholders.

"Learned more in 3 yrs than in 13 yrs at previous company"

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn, grow and take on new challenges.
    We're given all the tools necessary to succeed.
    Great people all over the place.
    Managers who care about your success as much as their own.
    Tuition reimbursement!
    Great benefits.
    Best HR team I've ever worked with.
    Working with the newest technologies, software, and equipment

Cons

The fast-paced environment can be challenging sometimes
    The office space is itself isn't great, but we're moving next year.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"If you are looking to be micro-managed look elsewhere!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GovDelivery is at the forefront of giving employees the support & resources necessary to be successful in their positions regardless of the department or level of the position. The 2 words I would use to describe the culture that is fostered here at GovDelivery is "Entrepreneurial" and "Empowered!" Employees will get out of GovDelivery what they are willing to put into it. Things move at a very fast pace, but the employees manage it incredibly well & have a lot of fun in the execution of their jobs. I have heard other employees describe GovDelivery as, "Having the Heart, Soul, & Feel of a Start-Up, but without the hours or problems that accompany a start-up" and I would totally agree with that statement. If your ideal company is one in which you get to work really hard alongside great people while still having fun with a good work/life balance, look no further! I am proud of what GovDelivery's mission & deliverable is and consider myself very lucky to be an employee of such a great company!

Cons

The pace can be a little daunting at first, but once you get your feet wet & get up to speed it is more than manageable. Be willing to ask questions of others in the beginning if you are stuck or don't understand something & they are always willing to help. Spinning your wheels & not doing this will lead to failure.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow employees to have a "voice" and feel like their opinions matter & the company will continue to do incredible things for our clients & the citizens they serve.

"Great mission, strong teams and leaders, doses of change and chaos"

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time

Pros

Lots of smart, driven, friendly coworkers. A mission to get behind. Strong and longstanding (in software years, anyway) business. Great or good leadership in many areas.

Cons

Lots of change in marketing and sales teams recently. They're mostly for the better, but not 100% done in one shot, and those teams & company at large are still adapting to changes.

Advice to Management

Consider adapting faster, more nimbly. Continue to be open-minded, open-doored, and reach high.