GovDelivery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Scott Burns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great mission, questionable vision"

Former Employee - Digital Engagement Strategist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Digital Engagement Strategist in Washington, DC

I worked at GovDelivery (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, engaged employees, good benefits

Cons

Focused more on growth and sales than customer service

"Great pace to work and be valued"

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time

Pros

Good management team, positive learning and development culture.

Scott, the CEO is a global rockstar!

Cons

Lack of company benefits

"Challenging - the good kind of challenging"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GovDelivery (More than a year)

Pros

Having suffered a previous position where I was being silo'd into boredom, Govdelivery is a breath of fresh air. Much to do, much to learn and we can, for the most part, focus on the things we are most interested in. Lots of talented, co-workers; mutual respect abounds. If you want to make a difference, implement new ideas, be heard, this is the place to be.
    It can actually be FUN to come to work - lot's of company sponsored activities, both in and out of the office.

Cons

With freedom and challenge, comes a certain level of stress and the challenge of managing a very full workload.
    Management tends to micro-manage the key projects, to the detriment of lesser (but still required) projects.
    The culture doesn't support virtual meetings and collaboration well (at least not yet - they are working on it.)

Advice to Management

Manage up a level. You have quality technical people. Let them do their jobs.

"Yes, a place called GovDelivery is chock full of office politics."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at GovDelivery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Several people have a great sense of humor. The best times I had was at employee arranged happy hours when everyone felt at ease. I am honored to consider many of them my friends. Also if you're a data nerd this place has petabytes of data, and its in more than just logs. Having access to it is likely why the people who have a long tenure are still there. There are some really fun interesting problems to solve. Also the customers are fun and don't take things too seriously. Employees are encouraged to form their own groups and events.

Cons

**This is hard because I really do like people who still work there and I want to see them succeed, and so hopefully someone other than an HR intern will read this and make some real change happen. If you're going to work here, please be careful.**
    Just try and keep your head low because this place fires people simply because the COO doesn't like their personality. It's really hard for people to embrace change or to make larger improvements because people are afraid of failing. People get excited when big changes are mentioned, but its mostly a "good luck with that, hope you can do it, but I want no part of it"
    A lot of other glassdoor reviews mention the "hands off" approach management has, but I dont see how in any of the departments this could be true. Not much is more important than system up time and scalability, so everyone has to know as much as possible what youre doing, what your plans are, and interferes in nearly everything you do. Nonstop CYA. Also, GovD sends bulk email for govt agencies, and thats about it so theres a ton of competition. Only a very select few employees get to interact with customers and even then its in a highly controlled fashion.

Advice to Management

Take some employee management coaching, take a lot. Humiliating, mocking and berating employees in front of their co-workers actually isn't funny and the reason people laugh is because you're the boss and they're nervous.

"Opportunity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Social mission, open doors, great work ethic while keeping a strong work-life balance.

Cons

Mixed messaging from middle management.

"The best coworkers, interesting and impactful work"

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learn a ton from my coworkers! They are friendly, smart, and experienced; they are the best group of people I've worked with.

Lots of trust is put in the developers (both from managers and more senior developers). My opinions matter and my work makes a difference.

Plenty of challenging problems to work on.

Friendly to people with families. Flexible hours and the ability to occasionally work from home when needed (most roles). Six weeks of paid parental leave.

Very low turnover on the development team.

Free snacks and drinks.

Cons

As others have noted, this is a growing business so the rate of change in priorities can be high.

Management puts a lot of trust in employees, but that level of autonomy is not for everyone.

The technology teams are making improvements in diversity, but there is still more work to be done.

Advice to Management

You do an excellent job of hiring great people, but keep working on improving diversity levels.

Continue to shift more development resources from tactical to strategic goals.

"Great experience, no shortage of work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

This is a great environment for people who are seeking on-the-job, independent learning experiences. Every job here is what you make it, with much encouragement given to those who want to explore new possibilities to solve our unique business challenges most effectively. Very good place for trailblazers, the passionate, and the curious.

Most people here are friendly, connected to the mission of the organization, and collaborative. There's not a lot of red tape to push forward decisions and things move very quickly here. People are expected to stand on their own very quickly and are encouraged to contribute aggressively. In most of my interactions, leadership provides an undergirding of support and confidence in their teams.

The benefits are great and there genuinely seems to be care and concern from the leadership for the wellbeing of the people who work here.

Cons

This fast-paced, performance-driven environment can excite many but can overwhelm some. If you're more into a structured environment with clear roles and concentrations you may feel the ambiguity or autonomy in your role to be too much pressure.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of listening to your employees needs and giving clear focus for the organization's goals and we should all be good!

"Strong Growth = Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GovDelivery is full of smart, hard working and creative individuals that embrace and understand the company's vision. As an employee, I can see the positive effect that we make in our community everyday. It is a company that empowers their employees to achieve top quality work with a great culture where we work hard and have fun!

Cons

GovDelivery is a growing company and we experience change on a weekly bases. For me, growth means opportunity, but if change scares you or you need constant supervision, then this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust and value your employees and stay focused on growing the company! We got everything else.

"Learned more in 3 yrs than in 13 yrs at previous company"

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn, grow and take on new challenges.
    We're given all the tools necessary to succeed.
    Great people all over the place.
    Managers who care about your success as much as their own.
    Tuition reimbursement!
    Great benefits.
    Best HR team I've ever worked with.
    Working with the newest technologies, software, and equipment

Cons

The fast-paced environment can be challenging sometimes
    The office space is itself isn't great, but we're moving next year.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"If you are looking to be micro-managed look elsewhere!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GovDelivery is at the forefront of giving employees the support & resources necessary to be successful in their positions regardless of the department or level of the position. The 2 words I would use to describe the culture that is fostered here at GovDelivery is "Entrepreneurial" and "Empowered!" Employees will get out of GovDelivery what they are willing to put into it. Things move at a very fast pace, but the employees manage it incredibly well & have a lot of fun in the execution of their jobs. I have heard other employees describe GovDelivery as, "Having the Heart, Soul, & Feel of a Start-Up, but without the hours or problems that accompany a start-up" and I would totally agree with that statement. If your ideal company is one in which you get to work really hard alongside great people while still having fun with a good work/life balance, look no further! I am proud of what GovDelivery's mission & deliverable is and consider myself very lucky to be an employee of such a great company!

Cons

The pace can be a little daunting at first, but once you get your feet wet & get up to speed it is more than manageable. Be willing to ask questions of others in the beginning if you are stuck or don't understand something & they are always willing to help. Spinning your wheels & not doing this will lead to failure.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow employees to have a "voice" and feel like their opinions matter & the company will continue to do incredible things for our clients & the citizens they serve.