Government Contract Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nicole Geller

1. "Sr. Contract Specialist"

Current Employee - Closeout Specialist in Fort Washington, MD
    Current Employee - Closeout Specialist in Fort Washington, MD

I have been working at Government Contract Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work for GCS are as follows:
    1. I work as a 1099
    2. I get to specialize in one area of contracting why utilizing the Federal Acquisition Regulations
    3. Hourly pay is acceptable

Cons

The cons of working for GCS are as follows:
    1. none

Advice to Management

none

2. "I'm going on my seventh year with the company. I believe that says volumes about my feelings for the company."

Current Employee - Acquisition Specialist in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Acquisition Specialist in Reston, VA

I have been working at Government Contract Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GCS hired me when I retired from the Government and I have been with them ever since. They have been more than generous in their salary and benefit package as well as providing a great atmosphere in which to work.
    They have been very supportive in allowing me to attend NCMA conferences and partake of training opportunities like Greenbelt training.
    The company's focus is on supporting the customer, which in my case is the Government. The company's track record is excellent because the customer knows that it will go the extra mile for them.
    This culture starts at the top. Senior company leadership has particularly been supportive being there when we needed them and allowing us free reign at other times to support the mission.
    The company and the customer work very well together. So well that the company's presence on-site has grown exponentially in the years that I worked there. I think that that augurs well for the company's future.

Cons

None come to mind for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Kudos to GCS!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Government Contract Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I want to express my gratitude and publicly give thanks to GCS for creating a culture where hard work and dedication is not only appreciated but rewarded. GCS took he time to shower me with accolades in light of my job performance supporting a certain Government client in the Intelligence Community, and also provided an unexpected bonus and pay increase. Thanks GCS!

Hard work and dedication to the mission is of upmost importance in this environment and I feel as if GCS instills the commitment to support these vital U.S. government missions. Providing service to my country is rewarding, an added bonus is that I’m surrounded by talented colleagues. My Program Manager and Team Lead are men of integrity with high values and standards both on the job, in their family and in the community. I feel that it’s an honor to work for GCS and hope that they continue to hire responsible co-workers who share these internal values that help make all of us a success.

Leadership also take the time to recognize that family is first if/when the need calls upon our personal resources, and they are wiling to provide extended support.

Cons

I can't think of one thing that I don't like about working for GCS, except perhaps the commute! I'm very satisfied working for GCS :)

Advice to Management

I would like to see GCS promote more extracurricular activities that provide added cohesiveness throughout the company.

5. "Treated very well for my time there"

Current Employee - Office Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in McLean, VA

Pros

Was there as a temp for about 6 months. Fast paced environment, lots of challenging projects to work on.
    employees and management were fun and very nice. Some people had been there 15 years so always a good sign.
    The day I left they had a cake for me that the Owner/CEO picked up herself. Never had that happen in all my years temping.

Cons

Sometimes pace was too quick for me

Advice to Management

Thanks for the learning experience

"CEO and CFO need to really take a good look at the company, its not all about the dollars."

I worked at Government Contract Solutions full-time

Pros

Truly can't think of one nice thing to say

Cons

Employment at GCS is like a revolving door, no one stays as there is no training for your position and the CEO loves to make you look like a fool in front of everyone at meetings. She doesn't care who is the meting.She actually enjoys your embarrassment.

Advice to Management

If you can't treat people the way you want to be treated than quit wasting everyones time and shut the doors. Just count how many employees and temps you have gone through in 2013, the numbers may surprise you..but than again maybe not!Hired with false pretense, was told they gave bonuses every year, (employees haven't had bonuses in 3 yrs)

"No paycheck is worth this nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Government Contract Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits, competitive pay, great co-workers

Cons

GCS is a small company, so it has some of the typical negatives of a small company, only these will be amplified x50 because of the poor leadership of the CEO and her lack of respect for her employees.

-Your offer letter will most likely list a competitive salary: it is not worth it. I can not emphasize this enough. As with most small companies, you will be required to "wear multiple hats". This was exactly what I was looking for, as I wanted to expand my skills into a few areas and get great exposure. Instead, the office was understaffed and you quickly realize you are actually being underpaid for the work you are doing. For example, the CEO goes through EA's like normal people go through socks, most don't make it 6 months, let alone a year. Eventually, the CEO cut the EA out of the budget and forced another to take one the EA position in addition to hers without increasing her compensation. She quit a month later for her new job as a Contract Administrator for another company...

-If you do not work in the HQ, you might actually like your job. However, in a small HQ office (of less than 20 employees) you are very much at the whims of the CEO, in this case, this is horrible. You will need to duck and cover whenever the CEO is in the office. There is a palpable stress whenever she is marching through the office looking for the next target of her rage. Her micro-management and lack of appreciation for her employees will kill your ambition and makes it impossible for other managers to help you grow as an employee.

Every employee at this company is stressed and overworked. The level of stress you will feel from working here (not good I have a lot of responsibility stress, but stress from walking on eggshells and trying to complete your work knowing that nothing you do will be recognized by executive management and you will only be berated for your "failure") is something no one should endure. Some managers would be fine and likely try to help you, if they weren't so busy trying to survive as well.

In your interview, ask about the retention rate of HQ employees, this place isn't known as a revolving door for nothing.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and let the "chain of command" work. Fill positions when employees quit, rather than continuously stretching your employees too thin and then reprimanding them for their failure.

Change your attitude of management. As the manager, no matter on what level, it is your responsibility to ensure your team has what it needs to succeed and to share your vision for the company, project, etc with them. If your team fails it is because you failed to meet your expectations as a manager and lead them effectively.

"Dysfunctional Company in Turmoil"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Government Contract Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. No matter how desperate you are for a job, I would not recommend working here! The company is totally dysfunctional and will leave you shaking your head as to what persuaded you to come aboard.

Cons

It is quite obvious that the positive reviews that were posted on 8/14 and 9/23 are due to a tongue lashing by the CEO. 2-3 positive reviews are no match for all the negative ones.

Advice to Management

1.Stop painting a glossy picture of the direction of the company, career advancement, promotions, raises, etc. 2. Mention the CEO...tell them to run and hide when they see her coming, because they will soon become unemployed...

Government Contract Solutions Response

Nov 6, 2013 – Director

If you are looking for an opportunity to be part of a solution provided to the US government you will recognize opportunities at GCS. Investments in infrastructure are always being assessed and the ... More

"On site PM needs to understand customer support and program management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

salary is average for DC

Cons

Benefits are weak, does not fullfill customers desire, lack of communication among leadership
    Constant turnover in company, hiring process is extremely long

Advice to Management

Need training on customer relations and feedback

10. "Great!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Pros

Advancement opportunties, very flexible, great place to work

Cons

sometimes there is high turnover

"A cesspool for all that can be bad - for your sanity stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous for Fear of the Owner's Lawyers Tracking Me Down in McLean, VA

Pros

Nice corporate offices. Some good honest, hardworking and trustwothy people but few. Great location. Free parking & coffee and tea.

Cons

An employer where deceit, backstabbing, lack of recognition, and greed are the prevalent. Beware of the owner! GCS is like a turnstile for executive assistants and adminstaff. The field employees generate all of the revenue for the company but do not get to share in the profits or recognition. Most innovative or creative thoughts are squashed by either the owner's own insecurities or the gaggle of consultants that are hired to boost her lack of knowledge of running a company

Advice to Management

Sell the company!!!!!!

Government Contract Solutions Response

Aug 1, 2013 – Director

Government Contract Solutions has never claimed to have a profit-sharing structure, so we're not able to comment on this individual's unfounded expectations. However, we have always been committed ... More