Gracenote Reviews in Emeryville, CA | Glassdoor

3.4
Gracenote President Karthik Rao
Karthik Rao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Workload is self determined which brings great work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Strong culture, good environment and great people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • took on too many projects and initiatives so hard to do a lot of things in a very high quality fashion (in 6 reviews)

• But with recent changes of moving from one parent company to another , lot of great people left the company and took the great culture along with them (in 4 reviews)

"can't disclose"

I have been working at Gracenote full-time

Pros

Given the reviews here I want to weigh in. Your experience here will, like at many companies, depend on what function you work in, who you report to, and how much freedom you have within your job. Some of those reviewing here are at the medium to low level on the reporting chain, so they likely don't have much visibility in co strategic developments; this does not mean that the co is doing poorly. The company just got acquired by Nielsen a few months ago, which is a sign that its core business and products have meaningful value. Though there will be some changes at the leadership level with, understandably, GN departures where there is overlap, many changes are bound to be more at the higher level and the core operations will operate substantially similarly from the way it has been working now.

The peripherals (e.g. festivities, theme events) by HR are frequent, probably once every 2 weeks or so. Free snacks and fresh fruit are available daily; they are not like the perks at Google-esque companies, but they are reasonably good, offer some healthy options, and are certainly not scant. A good representation of co-workers will join in depending on the festivities, and many have friendly co-worker friends like me. Some eat lunch together in our kitchens, which has a relaxed environment; otherwise go off and eat on their own. From what I observe, there is a good deal of freedom here.

Compensation-wise, some are happy with their compensation while others feel it's below market. In my view, the company is willing to offer equitable compensation if it feels you are worth it. I for one was offered above-market compensation, which allows me to focus on doing a good job and not look elsewhere.

For those in engineering positions, the co is taking steps to recruit good people to the east bay. While I have seen some turnover in this function, there are also some who have been here for a good amount of time and they happen to be people I enjoy working with, which confirms to me that those good at what they do and have good personalities tend to do well in the long run.

Cons

I have seen those who are uncomfortable with change not do well here; they tend to spend a lot of time talking with others like them and their negative energy likely spills over to the quality of their work.

BTW, change does not happen every day here; it is gradual and not chaotic, but some people are unnerved by seeing turnover and any change. The turnover is however generally routine and to be expected with acquisitions, biz need to re-direct, and also the need to rid very poor performers. What is true is that the turn to contractors for some functions has, unfortunately, led to less-than-ideal temp hires that drag down operational smoothness due to either (1) lack of institutional knowledge (2) subpar competence and/or (3) no real commitment to their job given perhaps their thinking that they are here only temporarily. However, I put these cons in perspective with the many positives that the company offers: comfortable culture, meaningful work, good positioning of former startup under new parent, good or OK colleagues, free food, great commute and comp for self, and believe that there are others who feel similarly as me.

"They suck. Don't get fooled."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good to say.

Cons

Gracenote used to care. No longer. You are worth nothing to them, and they remind you of that at every given chance.

Advice to Management

SNAP OUT OF IT! Fight back against your Nielsen uberlords. Listen to employees.

"Overall great experience working as an intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to learn, friendly and helpful people. Really open culture and work environment. Great colleagues and learning experience. Very relevant projects given. Lots of fun events and activities.

Cons

I can't find any cons working in Gracenote

4. "Great Company, Better People"

Current Intern - Program Management Office Intern in Emeryville, CA
    Current Intern - Program Management Office Intern in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People is friendly and ready to help. Good leadership and support from HR. Working culture is strongly based in respect, which makes a very nice place to work at. As an intern in Project Management, the PMO team is well organized and able to help teams in order to deliver products aligned with the stakeholders expectations and needs.

Cons

Commute may be a little bit slow if you travel from San Francisco via muni/BART/Shuttle.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the people and the working culture. It has been the best intern experience I have had in my short career.

5. "High tech, low stress"

I have been working at Gracenote full-time

Pros

Gracenote has long been a place of relatively good people doing tech work without the hardworking stress of a start-up. Vacation policies have been generous, and other benefits decent.

Cons

Gracenote has never been at the high end of the pay spectrum, more middle of the pack, and the recent purchase by Nielsen will be bringing a number of changes.

Advice to Management

Nielsen is bringing a hard lens down on how and what Gracenote does. You probably can't fight everything, but preserving some of what Gracenote is and was would be good.

"No more a suitable company"

Current Employee - A Hard Working Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - A Hard Working Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-With huge changes over the last couple of years, honestly, not many left worth mentioning .

Cons

- Gracenote used to be a great company to work for some years back and had an amazing culture. Vibes among the employees were mostly positive .
    But with recent changes of moving from one parent company to another , lot of great people left the company and took the great culture along with them.What is left now at higher management level are bunch of selfish souls who are only worried about their retention bonus and salaries . They are making random layoffs every few months to balance their budget and have no vision on how to grow the company .

- Growth is very limited if you only work hard , you need to lick your manger's boot to grow in this company , that is the culture being promoted lately .

- Very little influence of engineering , company has stopped respecting quality engineers and that too when they are aware that there is shortage of engineering talent and not many people like to join a company in that part of East Bay . Surely , some people in management are not seeing signs of downfall or are ignoring them for immediate personal benefits .

- Some people at higher management have been around for years and are now feeling insecure about their position . They have been taking irrational decisions to keep their position strong in the company . Its all messy politics now !

Advice to Management

Higher management needs to go and Nielsen management need to take over . That's the only hope for Gracenote .

"Great company with smart and nice people!!"

Former Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has been a pleasure to work at Gracenote. They care for their employees and work hard to achieve their goals. I never felt like an actual intern as maybe in other big companies.
    Great work environment!!

Cons

I don't have any actual negative insides. I wish I could of stayed a little bit longer.

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Energetic, friendly atmosphere
    Growing, financially healthy company
    Casual dress
    Impressive variety of software tools in use
    Management quote: "I just want to make sure everyone is in a position where they can really grow"
    Effective use of scrum; team is thriving on true autonomy and achievement of goals
    Flexible schedule; easy to work from home/offsite as needed
    Astounding racial and ethnic mix of people
    Peet's coffee, fresh fruit, and wide variety of snacks in the break room
    Genuinely interesting and kind coworkers

Cons

No one has ever heard of the company

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work on lots of interesting projects with great people. I am excited about the changes being made in the engineering organization. The views are cool and the snacks are good but the people and the projects are what is really important.

Cons

Because there have been so many acquisitions, communication between teams can sometimes be difficult. Knowing specifically who is responsible for what deliverables in engineering is not always as clear as it could be.

Advice to Management

Keep making the changes to engineering and keep paying attention to your employees. Provide more opportunities for people to move to international offices.

10. "Consultant"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Emeryville, CA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

HR and IT Support staff the best I've ever experienced. Upper level management in tune with each other and working together to take Gracenote to the next level. No politics and everyone extremely helpful to each other. Extremely impressed with the level of talent.

Cons

Love the location and the offices - the only downside is limited lunchtime choices within walking distance. I also wish that they offered hot chocolate in addition to coffee.

Advice to Management

Keep on your transformation path - you have a dedicated group that is really committed to the future of Gracenote and will work together to make it even better.