Gracenote Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Batter

Pros
  • Workload is self determined which brings great work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Strong culture, good environment and great people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • took on too many projects and initiatives so hard to do a lot of things in a very high quality fashion (in 6 reviews)

• But with recent changes of moving from one parent company to another , lot of great people left the company and took the great culture along with them (in 4 reviews)

"Overall great experience working as an intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to learn, friendly and helpful people. Really open culture and work environment. Great colleagues and learning experience. Very relevant projects given. Lots of fun events and activities.

Cons

I can't find any cons working in Gracenote

"They suck. Don't get fooled."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good to say.

Cons

Gracenote used to care. No longer. You are worth nothing to them, and they remind you of that at every given chance.

Advice to Management

SNAP OUT OF IT! Fight back against your Nielsen uberlords. Listen to employees.

3. "can't disclose"

I have been working at Gracenote full-time

Pros

Given the reviews here I want to weigh in. Your experience here will, like at many companies, depend on what function you work in, who you report to, and how much freedom you have within your job. Some of those reviewing here are at the medium to low level on the reporting chain, so they likely don't have much visibility in co strategic developments; this does not mean that the co is doing poorly. The company just got acquired by Nielsen a few months ago, which is a sign that its core business and products have meaningful value. Though there will be some changes at the leadership level with, understandably, GN departures where there is overlap, many changes are bound to be more at the higher level and the core operations will operate substantially similarly from the way it has been working now.

The peripherals (e.g. festivities, theme events) by HR are frequent, probably once every 2 weeks or so. Free snacks and fresh fruit are available daily; they are not like the perks at Google-esque companies, but they are reasonably good, offer some healthy options, and are certainly not scant. A good representation of co-workers will join in depending on the festivities, and many have friendly co-worker friends like me. Some eat lunch together in our kitchens, which has a relaxed environment; otherwise go off and eat on their own. From what I observe, there is a good deal of freedom here.

Compensation-wise, some are happy with their compensation while others feel it's below market. In my view, the company is willing to offer equitable compensation if it feels you are worth it. I for one was offered above-market compensation, which allows me to focus on doing a good job and not look elsewhere.

For those in engineering positions, the co is taking steps to recruit good people to the east bay. While I have seen some turnover in this function, there are also some who have been here for a good amount of time and they happen to be people I enjoy working with, which confirms to me that those good at what they do and have good personalities tend to do well in the long run.

Cons

I have seen those who are uncomfortable with change not do well here; they tend to spend a lot of time talking with others like them and their negative energy likely spills over to the quality of their work.

BTW, change does not happen every day here; it is gradual and not chaotic, but some people are unnerved by seeing turnover and any change. The turnover is however generally routine and to be expected with acquisitions, biz need to re-direct, and also the need to rid very poor performers. What is true is that the turn to contractors for some functions has, unfortunately, led to less-than-ideal temp hires that drag down operational smoothness due to either (1) lack of institutional knowledge (2) subpar competence and/or (3) no real commitment to their job given perhaps their thinking that they are here only temporarily. However, I put these cons in perspective with the many positives that the company offers: comfortable culture, meaningful work, good positioning of former startup under new parent, good or OK colleagues, free food, great commute and comp for self, and believe that there are others who feel similarly as me.

4. "High tech, low stress"

I have been working at Gracenote full-time

Pros

Gracenote has long been a place of relatively good people doing tech work without the hardworking stress of a start-up. Vacation policies have been generous, and other benefits decent.

Cons

Gracenote has never been at the high end of the pay spectrum, more middle of the pack, and the recent purchase by Nielsen will be bringing a number of changes.

Advice to Management

Nielsen is bringing a hard lens down on how and what Gracenote does. You probably can't fight everything, but preserving some of what Gracenote is and was would be good.

"A longtime former employee speaks"

Former Employee - Editorial Specialist in Queensbury, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Specialist in Queensbury, NY

I worked at Gracenote full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and great benefits

Cons

Hard to advance, for the work you do you deserve a higher salary, they do not value their best people, they are not transparent and I lost every manager I had over the years in secretive meetings and then they were gone the next day.

Advice to Management

I worked for you for eight years and I was one of your best but you didn't treat me like it. So I left after you laid off yet another manager. I don't regret leaving and my best piece of advice to you is value your team. Don't treat them like they are less because they don't have your title. I make way better money and get treated like I matter now.

"No more a suitable company"

Current Employee - A Hard Working Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - A Hard Working Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-With huge changes over the last couple of years, honestly, not many left worth mentioning .

Cons

- Gracenote used to be a great company to work for some years back and had an amazing culture. Vibes among the employees were mostly positive .
    But with recent changes of moving from one parent company to another , lot of great people left the company and took the great culture along with them.What is left now at higher management level are bunch of selfish souls who are only worried about their retention bonus and salaries . They are making random layoffs every few months to balance their budget and have no vision on how to grow the company .

- Growth is very limited if you only work hard , you need to lick your manger's boot to grow in this company , that is the culture being promoted lately .

- Very little influence of engineering , company has stopped respecting quality engineers and that too when they are aware that there is shortage of engineering talent and not many people like to join a company in that part of East Bay . Surely , some people in management are not seeing signs of downfall or are ignoring them for immediate personal benefits .

- Some people at higher management have been around for years and are now feeling insecure about their position . They have been taking irrational decisions to keep their position strong in the company . Its all messy politics now !

Advice to Management

Higher management needs to go and Nielsen management need to take over . That's the only hope for Gracenote .

"Great company, not so great management"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at Gracenote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They deliver what they promised...

Cons

Management is lost with technology. Should train more employees by investing more...

Advice to Management

Bridge the gap between technology and peoples skills and capabilities to execute it...but first, understand the technology yourself.

"Great company with smart and nice people!!"

Former Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has been a pleasure to work at Gracenote. They care for their employees and work hard to achieve their goals. I never felt like an actual intern as maybe in other big companies.
    Great work environment!!

Cons

I don't have any actual negative insides. I wish I could of stayed a little bit longer.

"Good Environment & benefits"

Current Employee - Content Editor in Queensbury, NY
    Current Employee - Content Editor in Queensbury, NY

I have been working at Gracenote (More than a year)

Pros

-benefits, PTO, 401k, health +
    -clean, nice work enviorment

Cons

-salary is poor
    -not a lot of opportunity for advancement

"Terrible Place to Work"

Current Employee - Cable/Satellite Editor in Glens Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Cable/Satellite Editor in Glens Falls, NY

I have been working at Gracenote (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress; entry level positions; decent benefits.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations; terrible organization; bad management; low pay; high stress.