Grade A Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Grade A President and CEO Mathew Lafrance
Mathew Lafrance

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Literally the BEST Place I've Ever Worked"

I have been working at Grade A full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management who encourage growth and development - at your own pace and direction
    Ability to work remotely and leadership who will find a way to make your schedule work - no matter where you are in the world, literally
    Fast-paced but trusting environment, there's never a dull day
    Supportive and encouraging teams
    Nerf Fights, Beer Fridays, Flexible holidays, Birthdays off, Pool Table, VR games, and more
    Employee tech purchase programs and auctions
    Compensated social events (movie nights, LAN parties, etc.)
    Open door policies

Cons

Management can sometimes get distracted by the latest and greatest thing in front of them
    Growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Growing pains are tough, but you're taking a moment to step back, take inventory, and trust the amazing people you've hired. Set expectations with your teams and have open and honest conversations about what's happening. You've built something pretty awesome.

Apr 15, 2019 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for making time to share this feedback with us! We are on a journey and consider ourselves pretty lucky to have such great people on the Grade A team to share it with.

2. "Great environment, poor management"

I have been working at Grade A full-time

Pros

Excellent experience to be gained here and the people are fantastic.

Cons

Training is non-existent, pay is left to be desired and they hire re-actively to clients's coming in instead of pro-actively leaving the technical staff short staffed constantly.

Advice to Management

Take a better look at training, hiring and improve pay transparency ASAP.

Apr 15, 2019 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback. We agree that the people on our teams at Grade A are fantastic!

Striking the right ratio of staff to clients can be tricky, especially in technical support... More

"Good to start, not to stay"

I worked at Grade A full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Friendly, often goofy work culture
    -Huge opportunity to learn
    -Birthdays off
    -Better environment than many similar local companies
    -Salary and benefits comparable to similar local companies
    -If you live and breathe the culture and tow the line, there are opportunities to advance

Cons

-Salary still mediocre, especially for junior staff
    -Bonus and incentive programs always promised, never delivered
    -Staff always overworked, never enough new hires
    -You only get the best learning opportunities if you constantly push for them
    -Team leads have no time or authority to actually lead and develop staff
    -Toxic staff members that engage in gossip without consequence
    -Poor technical practices often followed and insisted upon by senior staff that "know better than you"
    -Account reps that make unreasonable demands and throw techs under the bus
    -Management implements major changes with no forethought and then changes their minds
    -Management asks for feedback but never act on the important ones
    -Management will tell you what you want to hear with no intent to follow through
    -Senior management is largely absentee and disengaged
    -If you try to leave for anyone they think is a competitor, you will be intimidated, your weaknesses played upon and possibly threatened by their lawyers

Advice to Management

You have masterfully created a culture full of staff who you treat just well enough to make them fail to realize they're being exploited. Those that do realize it become pariahs and are intimidated into staying or made examples of if they try to leave. It's a corporate cult style of management and it's a house of cards. Many people think you're just trying to pump up the company so you can cash out and retire. Hopefully, the better people can get out before they're left behind.

Mar 26, 2019 – Director of Human Resources

At Grade A, we believe that feedback and improvement are important. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and experience with us. We're sorry to hear that your time here wasn't what... More

4. "The BEST place to work"

I have been working at Grade A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is approachable and has a good sense of humour
    Owners are very involved, supportive, receptive to ideas, but don't micromanage
    Employees are trusted, empowered, encouraged and recognized

Cons

I can't find a single con. Not one.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Mar 26, 2019 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback - we are so happy to hear that your experience has been so positive!

5. "Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Network Operations Specialist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Network Operations Specialist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Grade A full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Culture is amazing
    - Super talented people
    - Learn a ridiculous amount
    - Growing
    - Owners run the company like a Simon Sinek wet dream. Take care of your employees first, they'll take care of the customers

Cons

At the time I was there pay was quite low comparatively but it's not really about the money when you work there.

Advice to Management

Always remember what Grade A was 10 years ago and keep that same culture. As long as employees are put first you'll continue to succeed.

Mar 6, 2018 – People & Culture Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the time you took to leave us a review!

"Great place, grumpy old staff"

I have been working at Grade A full-time

Pros

- This is the only place I've ever worked where the whole company cares of the customer.

- The teams work well together and are constantly improving.

-People complain about the little things here but I see everyone trying to work on improving the culture, people and office space.

Cons

- Old staff. The company has many 5+ year staff members which sounds good but causes problems. These people have been spoiled over the years and aren't dealing with the company growing. As a new employee they almost try and corrupt you.
    - Busy as heck. This place is fast paced and we need staff.

Advice to Management

You've got a few people here who need to figure out if they're coming or going. You won't make everyone happy, but thanks for trying.

Feb 22, 2018 – People & Culture Specialist

Thanks for your review! We're happy to hear about your positive experience so far at Grade A, and we hope we can only make it better! We are doing our best to find exceptional people like you to join... More

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Grade A full-time

Pros

I'm a big fan of this place, especially after being in a retail environment previously.

- hours are great
    - people are welcoming
    - learning opportunities are everywhere
    - feedback is welcome and I see changes all the time

Cons

- young management team
    - some older staff run wild and seem untouchable no matter what they do

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and keep promoting people! :)

"A great place to work."

I have been working at Grade A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

L1s at Grade A have the same pay rate and scale as L2s in this sector, we are paid for what we do, not for the title. There is also good headroom for the pay scale.

We have benefits, many places don’t. And those benefits are good.

We get seminars, lunches, beer, massages, and event outings and the things that we need to chip in for are usually mostly comped by the company.

We have bosses and owners that are approachable and like to get involved.

We are actively pushed to better ourselves and are rewarded for it.

The management and Team Leads are always looking for ways to improve internal processes and looking for feedback.

I have been working for roughly 20 years, and nearly 18 of that has been in IT. I can easily say this is the best, most relaxed, and least corporate (while still staying professional) work environment I have ever been in. Many of those with worries or complaints about becoming 'too corporate' may not have had that perspective from the outside.

Cons

The investment matching could be better.

Some of the people who have been around a while have seen a lot of change, and it can bring down morale at times. But I have no input on how to fix it other than to address it head on, which seems to already be happening.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the hard work is appreciated by many. The huddles/town halls are great for providing information.

More engagement and airing out of grievances during team meetings, take feed back directly to management.

Meet the problems head on and keep addressing things as you have been, have some sit downs with those who feel strongest about recent changes.

Feb 14, 2018 – People & Culture Specialist

Wow, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! We’re so happy you’re happy (that’s our goal!). We try our best to address any issues head-on, which is why we love feedback so... More

"Good corporate culture, but at a price"

Pros

Funky, Modern office, energetic and helpful coworkers, exposure to lots of different clients and technology, big company feel, good place for younger tech focused employees to gain experience.

Cons

Most managers at GradeA haven’t been managers elsewhere, so you get a lot of narrow minded decisions and inflated titles, lots of winging it when it comes solving problems or deploying solutions, few opportunities for certifications or official training, pay is nowhere close to competitive.

Jan 30, 2018 – People & Culture Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We understand there are growing pains, but we can’t help it – we love to promote from within! We’re definitely working on improving our training programs. In the last... More

"A Troubled Organization"

I have been working at Grade A full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Grade A is a great place to start out if you are a junior tech with little or no experience.
    You don't need qualifications to be hired, and you will support all different types of businesses.

Cons

-pay far below industry standard

-low morale due to unreasonable demands on technicians

-upper management participates in toxic gossip and acts based on heresay

-short-tempered and impulsive technical director who lacks knowledge required for his role

-not enough oversight of technicans due to volume of technical work the team leaders are asked to take on

-too much focus on call center style metrics vs quality of technicians' work

-attempts by management to forcibly instill the company culture are contrived

-uses intimidation tactics to discourage employees from seeking employment elsewhere in the Ottawa IT market

-veterans who were once enthusiatic about the company are leaving, retention issues with new employees

-cult-like atmosphere, people are 'part of a family' until they speak up or criticize and then are pigeonholed or made so uncomfortable they leave

Advice to Management

-wake up, you can still turn this around

Feb 22, 2018 – People & Culture Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We’re sorry to hear how you’re feeling. We’re trying our best to improve our processes as we grow and thrive as the industries leading MSP. If you have... More