Graduate Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 13, 2017

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Summer Intern Thorough Review"

Former Intern - Advertising Coordinator in San Marcos, TX
    Former Intern - Advertising Coordinator in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Graduate Marketing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This job is great if you are self motivated and have an extremely positive outlook. I felt very supported by management and the people above me. I was hired as an Advertising Coordinator and I honestly wasn't quite sure what that meant, but luckily your manager sets up a Skype call to explain all of the details and give you all the information you want. My training via Skype lasted a little over two hours and was very informative. After that, I was pretty much expected to start going "door to door" and try to sell ad space on Grad Marketings student calendar. It was a great internship because it works around your hours and if you have any kind of personal issues the managers are very flexible and will give you some leeway as far as having to work. I unfortunately was not able to get to the part of the internship where the campaign was completed and payment was made. I had a personal emergency come up and unfortunately had to quite the company, and I will say I definitely could have handled the situation better but Grad Marketing was extremely understanding a gracious. I genuinely am disappointed I could not have explored this internship more, but am hopeful for anyone else who works for them because I truly believe it is a valuable experience if you are going in to marketing, PR and/or advertising.

Cons

The ONLY reason why I didn't give this review 5 stars was because of one thing. At times this internship can feel a little lonely, which is why I said you MUST be self motivated and have a positive attitude about the position. I personally was extremely excited and enthusiastic about the position. BUT that can be hard at times. And I do feel that since it's more of a "satellite" job (the company is based out of Canada so you never get any hands on or face to face time) you do miss out on some valuable learning experience. For the few weeks working for Grad Marketing, I put a LOT of mileage on my car and spent a lot of money on gas because I was constantly running around town going from business to business. That could definitely be put on me though because I could have asked about compensation, but I didn't feel comfortable doing so.

Advice to Management

I want to start this by saying I do NOT mean this in a negative way at all, I would still do this internship all over again. I just say this in hopes it genuinely will make an impression on management in order to better the position for future employees, which in turn will help the company.
    My only advice would be to tone down the job/internship offers. I realize that most jobs will talk up the position to get you excited, but I feel this went a little too far. They give you an offer letter where they talk about how you will get compensated for any expenses and you will get paid $1,200 upon the campaigns completion which they state the average completion time is about two weeks. That is not accurate and is very misleading.

2. "Media Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Media Coordinator
    Former Contractor - Media Coordinator

I worked at Graduate Marketing as a contractor

Pros

None. I'm currently looking into the matter so I won't say everything, but wanted to warn others before they took this "job."

Cons

-Worked well over 40 hours a week, walking 14 miles a day on average, selling door to door to companies who either were not interested or already had experience with this type of marketing ploy and were angry.
    -Management doesn't actually help you; they can't. If businesses don't want to buy, you won't make sales. Period.
    -Like I said, I'm looking into this matter and want to make sure I have all the necessary information and resources before speaking further about the numerous negative aspects of this "job." But for now, I will say if you're a student, do not take this contracting position. Do not sign anything.

3. "Advertising Coordinator Review"

I worked at Graduate Marketing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This internship was absolutely amazing. If you are a hard worker, enjoy making your own schedule and plan on executing that schedule this internship is totally for you. The management is great and always there for you along the way so do not be afraid to reach out if you ever need help. Very entrepreneurial.

Cons

I will say that you really have to put in the work if you expect to get this job done.

Advice to Management

Great job!

4. "Horrible Internship"

I worked at Graduate Marketing as an intern

Pros

NO PROS- Job description summary: The Advertising Coordinator position requires you to endlessly go door to door to different local businesses/stores and attempt to sell and advertising spot from a calendar board designed by Grad Media. These boards are to be distributed throughout your university the first week of classes creating a tool for businesses to connect with their local college students. MAYBE one pro- you can essentially create your own schedule, but it needs to be within normal business hours as your clients will usually only meet you within the 9am-5pm time frame.

Cons

Grad Media promises many things when they first hire you including: an internship worthy of college credit, $1200 for every completed project (even if you don't completely fill the board or if a client fails to pay) and a distribution of the calendar boards by the first week of classes. In my personal experience, NONE of these things happened. First week of classes was August 31st and it is now October 12th and no boards have been handed out, I have only received 3/4 of pay, no college credit/internship certification and a manger who dodges my emails and calls. So not only was I used and scammed but they seriously ripped off hardworking/family-owned businesses in my area that paid $400+ for an ad spot on the calendar board.

Advice to Management

Maybe eliminate all current management and replace with competent staff who has both the time and the skill to actually train their coordinator. Oh and- maybe distribute your paid product.

5. "Great internship and gained a ton of experience in my field"

Former Intern - Advertising Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Advertising Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I worked at Graduate Marketing as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Got to meet with a variety of different clients varying in size. Was able to create my own schedule that was flexible around my summer school schedule. My manager was very personable and mentored me throughout the selling process

Cons

Lot of running around and followup with clients. Some clients are hard to catch in store so there is a lot of back and forth

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "A+ SUMMER"

Former Employee - Advertising Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Graduate Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Learned a ton about Advertising Account Management
    - Great one-one-one training
    - Accomplished campaign objectives (great feeling)
    - Became creative - learned how to structure creative ideas into AD Design
    - Could plan own schedule

Cons

- Had to rely on client schedules

Advice to Management

7. "Eye opening and great experience"

Former Employee - Advertising Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Advertising Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Lots of client interaction, great boost in confidence. Lots of skill building opportunity. I made great money, and was well prepared throughout the project.

Cons

You work individually and set your own schedule and sometimes that can be difficult

Advice to Management

Provide more options for clients who wish to do other campaigns.

"Waste of Time"

I worked at Graduate Marketing as an intern

Pros

You make your own schedule and gain a tiny bit of sales experience from cold calling.

Cons

I received 15 minutes of training over the phone, which is not an adequate amount of time for training, regardless of what field you are working in.

Advice to Management

Provide proper training and you might actually be able to increase sales.

"Terrible, basically a pyramid scheme"

I worked at Graduate Marketing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience in cold-calling, but do you really want to be a glorified tele-marketer

Cons

NO training-was told I’d have a 2 hour Skype call, had a 15 minute phone call
    Very unprofessional company

Advice to Management

Train the interns more and come up with a better pay system

10. "Amazing advertising and marketing experience as an Ad Coordinator. Highly recommend working with Graduate Marketing!"

Former Intern - Advertising Coordinator in State College, PA
    Former Intern - Advertising Coordinator in State College, PA

I worked at Graduate Marketing as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

You are given a chance at handling serious accounts and dealing with many long standing clients. Also the management was very helpful and understanding throughout the campaign. I grew a tremendous amount from this. There were so many clients that i remained in touch with and I made some great money in 2 months.

Cons

You have to set your own schedule daily. It can be a tough job if you are not comfortable speaking to people.

Advice to Management

Add more campaigns to the list of things you offer.